Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!!! How did it go?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fred09

Most difficult geography paper since the change in the course in 2006. Still think I got an A but I was dissapointed cultural regions didn't come up and plant and animal adaptations to a biome.

cultural regions did come up in regional no?dynamics of a region?it said what defines a region.....culture defines a region.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

biggaman wrote: »
    Don't want to jinx anything, so I'll just say it all went grand! :D
    Question - for the characteristics of a biome - how many did you write on? I know it said three, but I wonder is the marking scheme going to say 3/4 again, rather than actually sticking to the question?
    I was going to go back and write a fourth, but I didn't have time. Just got in finished in time, pretty happy I did. Bout 2 - 2.5 pages for each 30 marker, how about you guys? :)
    I had the exact same dilemma, was going to write 4 aspects but since they had "three" in bold i didnt! Wrote about climate, flora and fauna...boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Gav77 wrote: »
    I had the exact same dilemma, was going to write 4 aspects but since they had "three" in bold i didnt! Wrote about climate, flora and fauna...boom!
    I did soil, climate and flora, with 2 pages left spare for fauna.. didn't get a chance tho :D Tbh, all my flora was adaptations, that's what I learned, but its fully relevant? Don't know anything else I could have written on? :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yea I'd say that would be fine. I did Geography last year but read this year's paper and if I did that question I would have written about how industrial activity increased as the economy increases, causing more emissions and therefore more acid rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Would quarrying count as human interaction with rocks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Would quarrying count as human interaction with rocks ?

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 derealmoister

Most difficult geography paper since the change in the course in 2006. Still think I got an A but I was dissapointed cultural regions didn't come up and plant and animal adaptations to a biome.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the first biome question (characteristics of a biome) allowed you to talk about how plants and animals have adapted in their habitat? Thats what I done anyway for desert biome under the headings fauna and flora..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Everyone is saying how stuck for time they were, which scares me because I was finished a half hour early. I thought it was the most difficult paper so far, but I think I did ok... I just can't stop wondering if I completely missed a question since I am usually stuck for time as well :confused: I was pretty sure I did everything but I'm not a fast writer, something doesn't add up. I did a page and a half at least for each 30m question and 4-5 pages for the 80 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

It seems like ages ago since i sat my geography paper! My 80 marker was only a page long :/ apart from that it was ok enough seeing as most of my revision was crammed into last night and early this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

njd2010 wrote: »
    Everyone is saying how stuck for time they were, which scares me because I was finished a half hour early. I thought it was the most difficult paper so far, but I think I did ok... I just can't stop wondering if I completely missed a question since I am usually stuck for time as well :confused: I was pretty sure I did everything but I'm not a fast writer, something doesn't add up. I did a page and a half at least for each 30m question and 4-5 pages for the 80 mark.
    Jesus, dunno how ya managed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

Went bad for me! made a balls of human processes. so dissapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

It was horrific for me, was expecting an A1, now looking more like a C. Anyone here do global interdependence? HORRIBLE>

Yep, I do global interdependence. All in all a pretty awful paper!
    Like I mean, the questions I wanted to come up, came up, but usually as part B's, and then something really nasty for part C!

The human interaction with the Rock cycle question came up and I read it and was DELIGHTED, then looked underneath and it had some rotten one about isostatic processes, which i, and my entire geog class, are pretty sure we've never done!

Pretty annoyed to be honest because i knew the stuff, just didn't get the opportunity to show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Well the paper is here if you want to have a check to see if you did everything: http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC005ALP000EV.pdf

I'm sure you did fine though. I finished ahead of time in English and everybody else was writing frantically until the end, even though I wrote more than them. So yeah, you probably just write faster than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

I thought it was really good.I was able to manage all off the question,and the global interdependence was perfect.I dont think I got all off the short Questions right,but i usually mess up 1 or 2 regularly .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

Really? I had to skip a whole part C because I was so stuck for time...and I only spent 10 mins on short Q's :S

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

I'm gutted human impact of a biome didn't come but but the economical of a biome or something came up neither did how plants or animals adapt to biomes or human impact of soil. I'd never seen that economical impact on biomes .
    The Isostatic processes came up , I didn't even study that. I really hope I passed.
    If you did bad in the paper would the project at least bring you up to a pass?

For Q17 on talk about a biome you studied under 3 headings you could have done plant and animal adaptions...
    Pick a mixture from Climate, Soils, Flora and Fauna, and when talking about Flora or Fauna you could write a bit about em and then be specific about how they have adapted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

What does everyone think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josephdaly111

How much are ya supposed to right for the option?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

What did ye write for :
    Explain, with reference to
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]one [/FONT]human interaction with the rock cycle, that you have
    studied, how humans benefit economically from this interaction??

Was most your answer on the benifit or did ye just write about say mining or quarrying and a paragraph on the benifits?

• Advertisement

How much are ya supposed to right for the option?

I wrote 3 pages for the charecteristics of a biome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

the answers to the regional Q on what defines a region seem pretty different.. im not too sure which is the correct one. I answered it by basically repeating the Q and then saying how a socioeconomic region can be defined. And then i went in to complete detail on the Sambre Meuse Valley. Would this be a valid answer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

What did ye write for :
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]one [/FONT]human interaction with the rock cycle, that you have

Was most your answer on the benifit or did ye just write about say mining or quarrying and a paragraph on the benifits?

I wrote about quarrying, one paragraph on how it economically benefits humans and summed up again in the conclusion... then another page on just all my other random knowledge of quarrying.. Didnt focus 100% on the question asked but im hoping ill get my SRP's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

What did ye write for :

I wrote a page and a half in total on Geothermal Energy & kept referencing the economic benefits of it throughout the answer.. Hope it's ok!

Physical was definitely my best section, I really want a B1 but it's looking like more of a c1 :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josephdaly111

I wrote 3 pages for the charecteristics of a biome :)

Thanks for that. Only got 2.5 pages on aid

Thanks for that. Only got 2.5 pages on aid

My conclusion was a half a page so its about the same lenght..

Cawcheen wrote: »
    I wrote about quarrying, one paragraph on how it economically benefits humans and summed up again in the conclusion... then another page on just all my other random knowledge of quarrying.. Didnt focus 100% on the question asked but im hoping ill get my SRP's!

Ha yeah i did the same..hope we answered the question right :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

So Happy with Geography! :D

Bulls***'d my way through two of the Q's (Volcanoes and OS map)..
    But apart from that, the paper was awesome :D

Maths in the afternoon kinda put me out of the happy mood!
    Wish I had more time for finishing the Biome Q!
    Only managed 2 and a half pages on the characteristics Q, but got the main points in :)

Hope to get a high B, or an A2, not too fussy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I completely winged it. I need a B. Winging it got me a B3 last year so here's hoping :D though the short questions were evil in my opinion, I got 7 definitely right but the other five included at least some guesswork on my part. CMON B GRADE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Daire92

Length of your Geoecology question is irrelevant. As soon as the Corrector gets all the needed SRP's they mostly stop correcting and give you full marks, assuming your cohesion so far has been good. The person who wrote 3 pages of bull**** can do worse than a person with one page of srp's.
    I thought it was a very nice paper, nothing difficult at all. Finished just as it ended, could have done a better colonisation question but i left it till last and only had about 8 mins to write a A4 page

Advertisement