Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!!! How did it go?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Daire92 wrote: »
    I thought it was a very nice paper, nothing difficult at all.
    Anyone with a bit of general knowledge could have answered most of Q1 without studying LC Geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 merlin13

I think it was one of the worst papers ever! My mock was alot easier, and i think all of the past papers have been so much easier!
    Questions were asked in an unfair way.

And the Global Interdependence essay was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Daire92

merlin13 wrote: »
    I think it was one of the worst papers ever! My mock was alot easier, and i think all of the past papers have been so much easier!

What did you think was so bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I hope everyone read the questions carefully rather than just blurting out the learned off points , contrast agriculture is a lot different 2 pat years ! There was alot of other minor question changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Loved the paper.. just eh... didn't get to start ANY of the human question, or the last part of regional. Decided to do the biome first and then got caught for time... Completely lost my timing. What I did, I did well, but, sadly I missed out on a lot. Shouldn't have happened...

Can someone answer this for me please: Just making sure, the biome I'd studied was tropical rainforest, but, I chose the biomes question. I wrote a paragraph on how the burning of fossil fuels is having an effect on The Coniferous Forests in eastern europe.. That's a biome right???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Hope93

This!
    I thought it was such a tricky paper and the typical questions that I studied for didn't even come up! I moved schools so had to do the exam with no SubCon region studied which REALLY limited me!
    This Is how it went for me;
    Short Question's - These were a breeze, at least 70/80
    Physical - This wasn't to bad, Volcano through me a bit but I just wrote a general answer so hopefully get marks. Studied the Human Interaction so hopefully full marks there! Hoping 55-60/80
    Regional - This was horrible, I did the question that had the Concept of a region question because the other questions all had SubCon needed. I forgot about the Concept of the region till the last 5 mins and wrote a page summary on Language and Culture in Belgium, Wallonia and Flanders :S Hoping 40/80 because i f'd up.
    Elective - We done Human Interaction and Oh my God this was a DISASTER. Not a single thing I studied came up. I ended up doing Overpopulation, wrote like 3/4 of a page on it of bullcrap and didn't even finish the part C.
    Option - Global Interdependence was horrid. Horrid. I had banked on Global warming as our teacher was 99% sure it would come up, and it didn't. Ended up writing about Sustainable use of resources for about 2 pages. Hope for 40/80 If I'm lucky.

Worst Geo. Paper I've ever seen. Probably because last year's was so easy.

Hope93 wrote: »
    This!
    I thought it was such a tricky paper and the typical questions that I studied for didn't even come up! I moved schools so had to do the exam with no SubCon region studied which REALLY limited me!
    This Is how it went for me;
    Short Question's - These were a breeze, at least 70/80
    Physical - This wasn't to bad, Volcano through me a bit but I just wrote a general answer so hopefully get marks. Studied the Human Interaction so hopefully full marks there! Hoping 55-60/80
    Regional - This was horrible, I did the question that had the Concept of a region question because the other questions all had SubCon needed. I forgot about the Concept of the region till the last 5 mins and wrote a page summary on Language and Culture in Belgium, Wallonia and Flanders :S Hoping 40/80 because i f'd up.
    Elective - We done Human Interaction and Oh my God this was a DISASTER. Not a single thing I studied came up. I ended up doing Overpopulation, wrote like 3/4 of a page on it of bullcrap and didn't even finish the part C.
    Option - Global Interdependence was horrid. Horrid. I had banked on Global warming as our teacher was 99% sure it would come up, and it didn't. Ended up writing about Sustainable use of resources for about 2 pages. Hope for 40/80 If I'm lucky.

Worst Geo. Paper I've ever seen. Probably because last year's was so easy.

Ya im the same, i had studied loads of questions that tended to come up alot in the past and most didnt come up today!
    Ya the Global interdependence was the same for me i did sustainable energy question and came out after and was told that i could have written all about global warming and deforestation :(

Ya im the same, i had studied loads of questions that tended to come up alot in the past and most didnt come up today!
    Ya the Global interdependence was the same for me i did sustainable energy question and came out after and was told that i could have written all about global warming and deforestation :(
    Huh what? Where could you have talked about Global warming and deforestation? It sometimes comes up in Geoecology but I checked and it wasn't there..

Huh what? Where could you have talked about Global warming and deforestation? It sometimes comes up in Geoecology but I checked and it wasn't there..

Like in question 15, the one on the natural resources and sustainable whatever it was!
    My teacher told me i could have just written all about global warming and deforestation!

For me it was
    Short Q- Very easy, 78/80 minimum
    Physical Q1-Did an ok volcano q but had my learned off Three Gorges Dam question perfect for part (C). Full amount of SRPS and more in it
    Regional Q4- Compared BWM and GDA well enough, picked paris as my Urban region and it was probably my poorest answer on the test, i hate Regional Geog.
    Economic Q7-Colonialism of Brazil was my choice, did a good but rushed answer.
    Human Envoirnment Q12-Overpopulation of Favelas in Brazil, was VERY happy with this one.
    Elective was Q17 Geoecology- Wrote a brilliant question on tropical rainforest biome, it was exactly what i had been studying for this section
    Overall delighted with it, Should get my B1 provided my Field study holds up which it should as it was done with my teacher

• Advertisement

Like in question 15, the one on the natural resources and sustainable whatever it was!
    My teacher told me i could have just written all about global warming and deforestation!
    Oh the question on Sustainable use of resources? Yeah you could talk a little bit on global warming and deforestation when talking about the burning of fossil fuels, I did do that but you really can't talk to much about it because you had to talk about the sustainable use of resources, eg how we can cut down on our use and other forms of energy etc. I did that and threw in some stuff I had learned for Global and Deforest but basically just bullcraped on and on.. I should of wrote more on fossil fuels though. Decided to start talking about Fish stocks which was a huge mistake...
    Nothing I can do now though :( Just means I have to study the b4lls of Business to get a B1 in it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Is talking about Dharavi and slum settlements in India relevant to the overpopulation question? The cause i mentioned was migration...

Geography paper was a disaster for me... had prepared a cause and an effect of overpopulation and probably hadn't enough to write about 2 causes.... hadn't enough to write about impact of EU expansion on ireland's economy, only had prepared the impact on the economy AND culture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sineadlc

It went ok I think. I felt they were trying to mislead people with the way they worded the questions. What was with the landform question. Could you do waterfalls in that question? I was going to do it but was afraid I would get no marks in it if I did a waterfall! Loads of people in my year also didn't know what flora and fauna meant in the biome question! Im glad that question came up in geoecology tho...

Oh the question on Sustainable use of resources? Yeah you could talk a little bit on global warming and deforestation when talking about the burning of fossil fuels, I did do that but you really can't talk to much about it because you had to talk about the sustainable use of resources, eg how we can cut down on our use and other forms of energy etc. I did that and threw in some stuff I had learned for Global and Deforest but basically just bullcraped on and on.. I should of wrote more on fossil fuels though. Decided to start talking about Fish stocks which was a huge mistake...
    Nothing I can do now though :( Just means I have to study the b4lls of Business to get a B1 in it :/

I Know :( sickened! Im the exact same... just have to try and make up my points in Business and Biology!

For me it was
    Short Q- Very easy, 78/80 minimum
    Physical Q1-Did an ok volcano q but had my learned off Three Gorges Dam question perfect for part (C). Full amount of SRPS and more in it
    Regional Q4- Compared BWM and GDA well enough, picked paris as my Urban region and it was probably my poorest answer on the test, i hate Regional Geog.
    Economic Q7-Colonialism of Brazil was my choice, did a good but rushed answer.
    Human Envoirnment Q12-Overpopulation of Favelas in Brazil, was VERY happy with this one.
    Elective was Q17 Geoecology- Wrote a brilliant question on tropical rainforest biome, it was exactly what i had been studying for this section
    Overall delighted with it, Should get my B1 provided my Field study holds up which it should as it was done with my teacher
    ... Why did you do question Q7 and Q12? You are only supposed to do 1 question for Economic OR Human you will only get marked on 1? How did you find the time to an extra question...

I Know :( sickened! Im the exact same... just have to try and make up my points in Business and Biology!
    Haha I'm the exact same! :D
    Business and Biology to kick up my point's, hoping for at least a B1 in Biology! Such a bad day today compared to English which went so much better :/

... Why did you do question Q7 and Q12? You are only supposed to do 1 question for Economic OR Human you will only get marked on 1? How did you find the time to an extra question...
    Im a very fast writer and i had it done with about 20 mins to spare so i went back and did an extra question just to be safe, better than leaving and wasting time when i could be writing for extra marks. I think its very stupid to leave a test like Geography early when you have so many options to do extra questions

Im a very fast writer and i had it done with about 20 mins to spare so i went back and did an extra question just to be safe, better than leaving and wasting time when i could be writing for extra marks. I think its very stupid to leave a test like Geography early when you have so many options to do extra questions
    I didn't even get all the questions finished! spent way to long on the Human Interaction question, wrote almost 2 pages for it..Stupid mistake. How long were you writing for each answer out of curiosity?

I didn't even get all the questions finished! spent way to long on the Human Interaction question, wrote almost 2 pages for it..Stupid mistake. How long were you writing for each answer out of curiosity?
    A4 page per 30 marker Minimum is what i set myself too
    For my geoecology i did just under 2 a4 pages stacked with SRPs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Just wondering about the regional Q about a region is defined as an area of earth and so on.
    Well could you name all the different types of regions, a few lines explaining each one and an example. Was that the right thing to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 F1f1

Was it okay to do natural gas for the question on the rock cycle??? Please say yes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The paper was really complicated , as the things I learnt didn't come up. And couldn't answer full questions. Loads of my year dropped down to ordinary level they said it was like the junior cert and simple.
    I did my I learnt 3 essays off and none of them came up which made it hard when trying to write about it and couldn't remember anything so I ended up doing a global interdependence question about the positive and negative of giving to aid first world countries and I just waffled it ,I didn't want to leave the page blank . I was really hoping for human impacts on a biome or how plants and animals adapt or the human impact of soil. I just hope I passed I think the project will help. Maybe get a D/C .An it's still better than if you did ordinary.

You know for the question on the European region the two factors which influenced the development . I did Paris would tourism and transport be the right answer???? thats what I did just hoping I didn't mess it up.

I was really hoping for human impacts on a biome or how plants and animals adapt or the human impact of soil.
    That was basically the question 17 that came up. You just had to talk about the characteristic of the biome which is the plants and animals. You could then have slipped in your info about adaptations and human impacts on the biome as part of the question. Its all about making the question suit you not you working to the question word for word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

F1f1 wrote: »
    Was it okay to do natural gas for the question on the rock cycle??? Please say yes :P

Yes you could, interactions with the rock cycle include:
    Geothermal Energy
    Natural Gas
    Mining
    Quarying
    Any of them is acceptable

A4 page per 30 marker Minimum is what i set myself too
    For my geoecology i did just under 2 a4 pages stacked with SRPs
    Yeah I try and stick to something similar. For my 80marker though what I wanted didn't come up, reckon I got about 15 SRPs in about 2 pages of brock.. :S
    You know for the question on the European region the two factors which influenced the development . I did Paris would tourism and transport be the right answer???? thats what I did just hoping I didn't mess it up.
    I can't remember the question exactly but wasn't the question something about Urban factors on a European region?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 F1f1

Solus01 wrote: »
    Yes you could, interactions with the rock cycle include:
    Geothermal Energy
    Natural Gas
    Mining
    Quarying
    Any of them is acceptable

Thanks!! Was getting worried there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BragainMark888

Couldn't remember the names of the plates for the 20 marker. Was happy with the interaction with rock cycle. Did development of manufacturing in Ireland. Answered a good few questions maybe not with perfect points or whatever but I think I did really well. The Biome question was the best that I ever could of hoped for, did 5 pages lol. I don't understand why people who were looking for plant and animal adaption didn't do the characteristics, animals and plants were two of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Yeah I try and stick to something similar. For my 80marker though what I wanted didn't come up, reckon I got about 15 SRPs in about 2 pages of brock.. :S

I can't remember the question exactly but wasn't the question something about Urban factors on a European region?

I just looked up the question .
    It was "Discuss the factors which influenced the development of one urban area in a European
    region (not in Ireland) that you have studied."

I did Paris and talked about how tourism and transport influenced the development of it

I just looked up the question .
    It was "Discuss the factors which influenced the development of one urban area in a European
    region (not in Ireland) that you have studied."

I did Paris and talked about how tourism and transport influenced the development of it
    Ya thats alright, i used them along with enterprise. As long as you explained how it benefited Paris your sorted;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

Does anyone know how you were meant to answer the concept of a region question? I went through all the different types.. pretty terrified it's 30 marks down the drain!

Advertisement