Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!!! How did it go?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Daire92 wrote: »
    That was basically the question 17 that came up. You just had to talk about the characteristic of the biome which is the plants and animals. You could then have slipped in your info about adaptations and human impacts on the biome as part of the question. Its all about making the question suit you not you working to the question word for word.

Oh crap I just completely freaked out as I hadn't really looked over the biome I remembered a little on the tropical not much an didn't get what fauna and flora was. I messed that exam up completely . Hopefully I passed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Ya thats alright, i used them along with enterprise. As long as you explained how it benefited Paris your sorted;)
    Hmm I talked about alot of things, like how it has a strong raw materials base, has good transport links and a renowned name for a good quality of clothes/food processing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Ya thats alright, i used them along with enterprise. As long as you explained how it benefited Paris your sorted;)

I don't think I added in that part was kinda rushing the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

I was dissapointed cultural regions didn't come up.

It did.

Q6, B:

"Describe and explain the distribution of population in a Continental / Sub-Continental region (not in Europe) that you have studied."

You could have talked about cultural diversity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hope93

I just looked up the question .
    It was "Discuss the factors which influenced the development of one urban area in a European
    region (not in Ireland) that you have studied."

I did Paris and talked about how tourism and transport influenced the development of it
    Yeah that would be fine as long as you mentioned the effects they had on Paris and not just talked about Tourism and transport in general :P

The regional this year was definately the toughest I have seen it. If I hadn't learned the Impact of EU on Ireland I would of been truely banjaxed... Forgot 1 point in it though but still should get 25 or so out of 30 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Does anyone know how you were meant to answer the concept of a region question? I went through all the different types.. pretty terrified it's 30 marks down the drain!

Nope, your man on 2fm said that was grand! :D That's exactly what I did too and was worried it was wrong but apparently not! :D
    I did

Language (Gaeltacht)
    Geomorphological (Burren)
    Cultural (BS because I realised this was language then I went on about Religion!) (Kashmir :/ )
    Administrative (Counties in Ireland and Departéments in France)
    Core (described them & names Paris & GDA)
    Peripheral (described them and named Mezz & West of Ireland)

Hope this is ok! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Does anyone know how you were meant to answer the concept of a region question? I went through all the different types.. pretty terrified it's 30 marks down the drain!

Thats what I did, I discussed cultural, climatic etc etc blah blah blah! Everyone I spoke to after had done the same, so hopefully! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

A friend used the BMW to answer the question on the developing region... I'm not so sure about that????

I chose Sao Paulo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

I done it that way aswell, hope it's not 30 marks gone!

Solus01 wrote: »
    I done it that way aswell, hope it's not 30 marks gone!

NOPE! Man on the radio said thats fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Gotta love the man on the radio! ;)

lisabisa wrote: »
    Gotta love the man on the radio! ;)

Lol well I'm going to take his word for it anyway because I was convinced I'd got it wrong :P

Naive, maybe but ah well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

Climatic region alright for that kinda general part c of regional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

♥ man on the radio ♥

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hope93

I also did that question. I left in in order to get my honors question done and remembered it with 10mins to go! Didn't have a clue what to write but had to write something didn't want to throw away 30m so wrote about a page on Culture and Language in the Belgium regions of Wallonia and Flanders? I wasn't sure how to answer it.

How did you answer though? Do you mean you talked a little about Language/Culture/Religion etc instead of focusing in on just 1 or 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Seaner1878

I wrote about relief,climate and altitude for Q16 ..I think i went wrong unfortuately..I wrote a good bit bout 3 and a half pages but do you think I will get marked down becasue I realised I kinda half did the wrong answer like i should have mentioned ph level and texture and that where I moreso talked about climate then humus and then the effect it had on soils..same for relief like I mentioned relief then the thin soils etc..can anyone help me on that?Did I make a mess of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

can someone tell me how many srps you need for the biome question? people coming out saying they wrote 6 pages it just seems completely unneccessary unless your writing is huge.. I crammed so many facts into two and a half pages but im startin to worry now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sarahhhhh

Hi.
    Does anyone know how you'd answer the biome question on developing economic processes on a biome?
    I dunno what I was thinking in the exam, I had the characteristics question learned off to a tea but I just thought my answer fittedmore for that one:(
    I brought up industrial development leads to economic growth- which produces harmful effects on biome, acid rain and linked this up with Sweden economy was dependent on timber processing and forest and how it has suffered as a result of this! Wrote more than 3 pages!
    Have I just lost all my 80 marks for this, or wouldn't get at least some!
    Aced all the other questions! Just was rushed for time and made a bad mistake! Soo upset :(
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fred09

can someone tell me if concepts of a region include culture/language?i wrote 2 pages on sw usa culture and stuff...is this ok or have i blown 30 marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

Id did! :( I'm so raging because I talked about overcropping and overgrazing in the Sahel region then High Birth Rates in Sudan which are sort of the same region!

The paper was so different to previous papers!

Short Questions
    I found them difficult :eek:
    the weather chart? not a clue.
    Striations?? I have never come across that word in my LIFE
    Rock Type, dodgy for me

Physical
    I did Q2.
    Spent ages freaking out and looking for a bloody waterfall on the map though which was annoying. Thank God it was there though! :D
    Human interaction with rocks was grand (I did geothermal energy) except it was a bit off putting that it refered specifically to "economic benefits". Found myself talking a load of nonsense about how it's an economic benefit because they don't have to pay as much carbon tax? Made it up :/

Regional
    Q 5.
    So annoyed all the stuff on Paris, Mezz, Ireland, SW USA wasnt needed in the end!
    Impact of EU expansion on Ireland's economy. Well, that was the biggest load of dung I have ever made up
    "Concept of a Region". Am really worried about this as I just went on about geomorphological, core, peripheral, language, culture, administrative. Pretty sure I got that wrong with a max of 10/30 :(

Human Elective
    Q 12.
    part a) ii) If I typed what I wrote you would think me a complete idiot!
    Overpopulation
    Mentioned above. Will most likely get docced 50% straight away :(
    Development of Dingle
    Bluffed this too :(

Culture & Identity Option
    Q21 "how migration impacts on racial patterns
    I wrote about California, France and a crap bit on Brazil.

Overall pretty disappointed with myself. Got a B2 in the mock and was hoping for a B1 but now feel I would be lucky with a C1 :(
    Sounds like you did the exact same questions as me and had the exact same problems! It's a relief to hear everyone didn't find it 'piss' easy! And I'm sure you'll do better than you think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plmokn

Biome was the only section I was really happy with!

Short questions were alright I guess, but some a little tricky...

Regional and human not too bad, but physical was an absolute disaster.. Need an A but not a chance of getting it after that... Knew parts of every question but no complete question which was VERY irritating!

For human interaction with the rock cycle, I wrote about natural gas.. Is this right or totally wrong? Reassurance please!!!!!!

Sarahhhhh wrote: »
    Hi.
    Does anyone know how you'd answer the biome question on developing economic processes on a biome?
    I dunno what I was thinking in the exam, I had the characteristics question learned off to a tea but I just thought my answer fittedmore for that one:(
    I brought up industrial development leads to economic growth- which produces harmful effects on biome, acid rain and linked this up with Sweden economy was dependent on timber processing and forest and how it has suffered as a result of this! Wrote more than 3 pages!
    Have I just lost all my 80 marks for this, or wouldn't get at least some!
    Aced all the other questions! Just was rushed for time and made a bad mistake! Soo upset :(
    Thanks!

I had a essay learned about deforestation in rainforests so I done this Q under three headings...1. Commercial Lumbering 2. Fuel and Paper Industry 3. Cattle ranches .....my answer was mainly was how economic activities cause deforestation, do you think that is alright?

Your answer seems pretty good especially if you wrote so much, I completely forgot about acid rain and that:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fred09

plmokn wrote: »

Regional and human not too bad, but physical was an absolute disaster.. Need an A but not a chance of getting it after that... Knew parts of every question but no complete question which was VERY irritating!

For human interaction with the rock cycle, I wrote about natural gas.. Is this right or totally wrong? Reassurance please!!!!!!

your 100%.....wro......right. i did the same,very nice essay but a bit different this year

fred09 wrote: »
    your 100%.....wro......right. i did the same,very nice essay but a bit different this year

Well that's a bit of a relief I guess so thank you! Didn't do an amazing essay on it, but got a good few SRPs in so hopefully I scraped by....

You could have wrote abut Geothermal Energy, Natural Gas, Quarrying or Mining and I'm sure there's others I just don't know but they are all human interactions with the rock cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sarahhhhh

Solus01 wrote: »
    I had a essay learned about deforestation in rainforests so I done this Q under three headings...1. Commercial Lumbering 2. Fuel and Paper Industry 3. Cattle ranches .....my answer was mainly was how economic activities cause deforestation, do you think that is alright?

Your answer seems pretty good especially if you wrote so much, I completely forgot about acid rain and that:rolleyes:

Yeah your answer seems alot better than mine! That's why I'm worried. Eeeek :(

Sarahhhhh wrote: »
    Yeah your answer seems alot better than mine! That's why I'm worried. Eeeek :(

I can't see them marking the paper extremely hard because the questions were phrased so awfully, so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

I discussed deforestation, agriculture, acid rain and native tribes for "economic" impacts to a biome.
    I wrote a lot like 5 pages so I'm hoping the examiner will get 6 relevant srps out of each one!

I don't have a book for geoecology. I just learned the "assess the impacts of human activity on a biome" handout my teacher gave me.
    What more could I do? I don't see "economic" impacts of a biome on the syllabus...? Unfair!

On syllabus there's no mention of "economic" it just says under "Assess the impact on biomes":
    1. clearing of forests
    2. felling of tropical rainforests
    3. intensive agricultural practices
    4. industrial development

And I discussed that...

Anyways hopefully I have enough "economic" impacts in my answer...But it doesn't say it on the syllabus?

Oh and also, for the part B of that question.. The feature on the map, was a beach okay to talk about? Deposition feature? I half talked about bays and headlands... But was afraid to talk about that mainly as there weren't really any headlands on the map...

• Advertisement

sarah. wrote: »
    Sounds like you did the exact same questions as me and had the exact same problems! It's a relief to hear everyone didn't find it 'piss' easy! And I'm sure you'll do better than you think!

Well thats a bit of reassurance at least :) We should keep in contact & see how each other do in the results :D PM me :P

Advertisement