Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!!! How did it go?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cannon_93

Anybody else do a sea stack for the landform on the map? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ColinD4881

Human Ineraction did come up, although it was phrased really badly, economic activities, it is still the same question as the human interaction is for economic gain and economic activities include the cutting down of rainforests, cattle pastures and subsistant farming......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

flyaway. wrote: »
    Well the paper is here if you want to have a check to see if you did everything: http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC005ALP000EV.pdf

I'm sure you did fine though. I finished ahead of time in English and everybody else was writing frantically until the end, even though I wrote more than them. So yeah, you probably just write faster than you think!

Cheers, didn't think they'd have those posted so fast. If nothing else I'm happy to not have to go through the painstaking process of downloading multiple exam papers from that wretched site! Tempted to see if the marking schemes are up... nah, I don't want to know.

I did all 4 questions and the shorts, and I was fairly happy with all my answers.... Since I had so much time left over I went back and started throwing down SRPs from other questions that were in any way relevant in the hopes of squeezing out an extra mark or two. I guess I'll see how it really went in a August :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

It was horrific for me, was expecting an A1, now looking more like a C. Anyone here do global interdependence? HORRIBLE>

I did interdependence too.I had only learnt one essay aout global warming and desertification. strained to fit this in to the question on natural resoures.Do you think this was a good idea.What did youdo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I remember a mistake I made now!
    Writing about quarrying, I mentioned two processes but forgot the name of the third one, so I left a space blank so I could remember it. I knew it had something do do with feathers (Plug and feather) so if I didn't remember, I was going to write "feathering"
    But at the end of the exam, I forgot to write in feathering.
    So my essay says "The three processes by which rock is quarried are channeling (big blank space) and explosives.

Channeling is (blah)

(big blank space) is (blah)

Explosive is (blah)

Might lose an SRP or two :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

PJelly wrote: »
    I remember a mistake I made now!
    Writing about quarrying, I mentioned two processes but forgot the name of the third one, so I left a space blank so I could remember it. I knew it had something do do with feathers (Plug and feather) so if I didn't remember, I was going to write "feathering"
    But at the end of the exam, I forgot to write in feathering.
    So my essay says "The three processes by which rock is quarried are channeling (big blank space) and explosives.

Channeling is (blah)

(big blank space) is (blah)

Explosive is (blah)

Might lose an SRP or two :p

i left 2 spaces in my english :D and still can't remember the words i wanted to write :L it could be ok if it was some hard word ,but it was something as simple as word reflection :D ara ,the most important thing is to relate your answer to the q:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

For the landform development question, how many marks do you think will be going for identifying the landform on the OS map?
    I found my waterfall but just wondering general opinions on this.
    I thought maybe 2 marks but I've heard 3 or even 4 SRP's from some

For example, levees would be hard to identify..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Roshua

Sir123 wrote: »
    Sorry for bothering you but,
    isn't overcropping etc a process of soil erosion ? I'm still confused.
    How many marks could I lose for this? i said that they soil has now become infertile etc ..... help
    I gave solutions and everything on how it could be solved. Did I make a complete balls of it? Sorry fro the language...
    Anyone else do this ?

I talked about Relief, Climate and Organisms.
    It was a weirdly phrased question so it's tough to call. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Roshua

Yeah there was a waterfall on the map (its says "waterfall" in small writing)

Awh, seriously?!
    Damn! I had a waterfall prepared but didn't think it was on the map so I did the Volcano question.
    Grrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i got lost trying to find the exam hall ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Roshua wrote: »
    Awh, seriously?!
    Damn! I had a waterfall prepared but didn't think it was on the map so I did the Volcano question.
    Grrrr!

SAME, i'm kinda gutted to be honest! :(
    Dont think my Volcano question is that good...
    This was supposed to be my "A" subject, but now probably a B

SO SICKENED I DIDNT SEE THAT GODDAMN WATERFALL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aloc

As a Geography teacher of near 20 years experience I thought it was a nasty little paper. A lot of ill phrased questions which, based on reading this thread, threw a lot of people off. To almost completely ignore Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Industries in Europe and Continental/Sub Continental regions was criminal although you could have included one or more in the question on urban development.

Very hard to get 15 SRP's on the postive effects of volcanoes without plenty of examples. Question on the impact of rural to urban migration in a developing city was also very limiting.

Having said that if they find that people are writing the same thing over and over they will adjust the marking scheme. There's still be the same amount of A's, B's and C's but this year will be more of a lottery than usual :(

For the landform development question, how many marks do you think will be going for identifying the landform on the OS map?
    I found my waterfall but just wondering general opinions on this.
    I thought maybe 2 marks but I've heard 3 or even 4 SRP's from some

For example, levees would be hard to identify, but if you wrote about them without them being present on the map how many marks do you think would be lost?

Anybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

everything was going grand until I ran out of time.
    did qustions 1, 4, 8, 18
    1, grand
    4, rushed to finish
    8, didn't get c started
    18, 5 pages good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Anyone who did the Landform of erosion/ deposition in relation to the OS map of an Daingean, Did you actually find an example of a grid reference to it? I went with a braided stream but could not find any evidence in the map to give as an example.

njd2010 wrote: »
    . Since I had so much time left over I went back and started throwing down SRPs from other questions that were in any way relevant in the hopes of squeezing out an extra mark or two./

I dont see how LC Geography students seem to have so much extra time on their hands in the exam. Geography is one of the most time constraining exams on the course.

Unless your SRPS were mainly consisted of short one liners and you rushed into every question I cant see where you got large amounts of additional time at the end?

aloc wrote: »
    As a Geography teacher of near 20 years experience I thought it was a nasty little paper. A lot of ill phrased questions which, based on reading this thread, threw a lot of people off. To almost completely ignore Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Industries in Europe and Continental/Sub Continental regions was criminal although you could have included one or more in the question on urban development.

Very hard to get 15 SRP's on the postive effects of volcanoes without plenty of examples. Question on the impact of rural to urban migration in a developing city was also very limiting.

Having said that if they find that people are writing the same thing over and over they will adjust the marking scheme. There's still be the same amount of A's, B's and C's but this year will be more of a lottery than usual :(

I think it was one of the hardest Geography papers released by the SEC. Specifically in the short questions. Although it was not impossible.

As an experienced Geography Student the only question that diverted my interest was the question on the positive impact of volcanoes. At the top of my head I could only think of fertile soils that are present around the slopes of the Appenine Mountains in the Messogiorno. Geo-thermal energy for the production of heat. Volcanic geysers for lagoons in Iceland. Or maybe the boost in tourism from famous volcanic regions such as the canary's and California (Mt St Helens).

I could answer all of the other questions including all 3 of the Option's Geo-ecology section that I answered on Human alteration of the Mediterranean Biome in Italy and California.

I carried my exam by word processor and e-mailed when I got home it to my teacher for correction. He said it was unlikely I would achieve under an A2. I know I have secured full marks in my field study on Erosional and transportational Processes in a Fluvial Environment as I completed over four drafts of it before sending in my official one.

So after after 2500 hours of class and study from 4th-6th year including the hundreds of early classes of vital learning of Geography in the JC. I'm glad I got out of what I put into my favorite subject. If I have to repeat next year I can even look forward to an easier paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

You know for the question on the European region the two factors which influenced the development . I did Paris would tourism and transport be the right answer???? thats what I did just hoping I didn't mess it up.

Um.... The factors I discussed were physical and human factors
    Physical : how climate, relief, soils, drainage, energy supplies affect the development of the paris basin.
    Human: Population, transport, sorbonne uni, education, media, fashion houses, printing and publishing industries, TGV train network and how they all influence the development.

Learned it off for my mock and got the 30marks so I'm guessing thats what they're looking for...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

Ever since I left school I loved looking at exam papers. I just finished my degree in Geography in UCD and love looking at the Geography papers in particular!!
    Must say no matter what level you were doing, those exam papers were the easiest I have seen since the new course came in.
    I was doing grinds and literally guessed what would come up in 2 questions - 1 Physical, 1 Regional and came up in the order I guessed!

It is getting to easy to predict nowadays what is coming up in Geography.
    I just hope for all your sakes that they don't mark it harder because of the easyness of the papers.

Hope your exams are going well up to now. All the best in the rest of them!

Mr. BA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aloc

Mr.BA wrote: »
    Ever since I left school I loved looking at exam papers. I just finished my degree in Geography in UCD and love looking at the Geography papers in particular!!
    Must say no matter what level you were doing, those exam papers were the easiest I have seen since the new course came in.
    I was doing grinds and literally guessed what would come up in 2 questions - 1 Physical, 1 Regional and came up in the order I guessed!

I just hope for all your sakes that they don't mark it harder because of the easyness of the papers.

Mr. BA!

With all due respect I disagree. And so do a lot of students by the look of it. It was far from easy and if you guessed some questions then you were lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Mr.BA wrote: »

Mr. BA!

I honestly do agree with this. I studied everything just in case I was wrong but volcanos hasn't been up since 2006, igneous rock formation was the only one that hadn't come up, plants and animals in a biome is the only other biome question that's only been up once.

Saying that I thought they'd put up plate tectonics and volcanos. So no, that wasn't very predictable.

Was quite surprised that they didn't put on primary/secondary/ tertiary economic activities! Was the only thing that threw me. :mad: I think the "agriculture in Ireland" one was the closest to Primary economic but even then, if you had learned off a good primary economic essay with fishing, agriculture and forestry you could only use the agriculture section! Definitely tricky if you hadn't got exactly that question prepared, WITH the contrast between the two regions.

It was an okay paper, it just had lots of little irritating parts and many parts that would have caught us out. (Economic benefits of quarrying?!)

If you really, really, REALLY knew everything inside out and back to front then you were sorted. Otherwise, yes, it was quite a tricky paper. I don't think anyone can retain all the geography course in their brain so I'd say this is why it caught us out :P

PS: I really did not enjoy those short questions. At all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

I actually was very happy overall. For regional I learn off SRP's for each reason not essays.
    For physical i have essays, and waterfall/quarrying were two of my top 3 favourite, but at the same time I had rejuvenation(isostacy) covered and was actually going to answer on that just to show off :P
    Human I also had a few prepared, overpopulation being one; settlement/development of settlement always comes up too.. however I think I dodged a bullet because with the other 2 questions there was at least one 30marker in both that I wouldn't have been able to answer properly, just ramble on for a few SRPs :P
    Regional, the way I had learned stuff I was quite happy, but again was quite lucky as one or two questions I hadn't touch off - Eu expansion, and culture being the other, I think? Not too sure tbh :)
    Biomes - learned off characteristics and human interaction, didn't like the phrasing of HI so I just went with the straightforward characteristics, so was grand.
    Most of my answers are 2-2.5 pages long, around 4 or so for biomes I think.
    I gotta say I'll be annoyed if I don't do well!

Having said that I usually get every short question right, but I never even heard of two of the terms in the first question, and the weather one was challenging as well!

I also blanked at the renewable energy sources - ended up saying nucleur instead of solar :L think they might allow it?? :)

Overall, getting up at 4 in the morning paid off! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

For the human interaction with the rock cycle I completely disregarded the "Economic" side of thing...
    Though my essay DID include how plug and feather leads to slabs of rock for flooring, and how explosive methods lead to gravel for cement and basalt chips for roads.
    I also named three Irish quarrying companies. Sound like it was on the right track?

I kind of bluffed isostasy too. I had about 3/5 of a page on three landforms, raised beach, fjord and knickpoints. Usually I do two features but I didn't have enough on two.
    Plus I could draw three diagrams! Maybe I'll rake in SRP's that way :p

I also arsed around the urban growth/development question. Used the Randstad, and mentioned the greenhart, the decline in the center, tourism, and something else....
    It was all a bit flimsy, hopefully I answered it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Um.... The factors I discussed were physical and human factors
    Physical : how climate, relief, soils, drainage, energy supplies affect the development of the paris basin.
    Human: Population, transport, sorbonne uni, education, media, fashion houses, printing and publishing industries, TGV train network and how they all influence the development.

Learned it off for my mock and got the 30marks so I'm guessing thats what they're looking for...

Oh crap , I probably only got half marks for the transport in that then. I think I completely messed up in the paper this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

I was just wondering if there was a misprint on the Geography HL Paper. Not a huge one but on Q5 A one of the parts was something like 'Name two Irish fishing port' :confused:

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    I was just wondering if there was a misprint on the Geography HL Paper. Not a huge one but on Q5 A one of the parts was something like 'Name two Irish fishing port' :confused:

Yup I noticed that straight away too :rolleyes:
    Didn't have a clue I said "Donegal Bay" and "Clew Bay"
    Is that right?

Yup I noticed that straight away too :rolleyes:
    Didn't have a clue I said "Donegal Bay" and "Clew Bay"
    Is that right?

I didn't really have a clue either. I wrote Killybegs and Cork :D. I think Killybegs is right but I have no idea why I said Cork.

I actually left the Regional question until last because I wanted tot do a good Geoecology question and Regional is my worst section so maybe it was because of pressure to get it done. But the question itself was good enough. For Concept of a Core Region you could basically just describe the types of regions and give examples lol.

My human wasn't that brilliant either. The graph you had to draw was wierd because they gave you two set of percentages for 2 different years so I just added them up. Overpopulation was ok but why Dingle was set up there, I could only get one reason because recreational didn't count.

The short Qs were a bit weird but Ok. I was happy about the biome question as the one of them that came up, I knew best.

Still, it's a fair bit away until August...

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    I didn't really have a clue either. I wrote Killybegs and Cork :D. I think Killybegs is right but I have no idea why I said Cork.

I actually left the Regional question until last because I wanted tot do a good Geoecology question and Regional is my worst section so maybe it was because of pressure to get it done. But the question itself was good enough. For Concept of a Core Region you could basically just describe the types of regions and give examples lol.

My human wasn't that brilliant either. The graph you had to draw was wierd because they gave you two set of percentages for 2 different years so I just added them up. Overpopulation was ok but why Dingle was set up there, I could only get one reason because recreational didn't count.

The short Qs were a bit weird but Ok. I was happy about the biome question as the one of them that came up, I knew best.

Still, it's a fair bit away until August...

Yeah i know! :O

What was the answer to this question?

Name two problems faced by countries where the proportion of people aged 65 years and over is increasing.

I could only think that the government has to pay out pensions etc.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

PJelly wrote: »
    For the human interaction with the rock cycle I completely disregarded the "Economic" side of thing...

ye same here altough i did link it to road construction and building construction so maybe i could wing it that way ?! anyone know if they will dock marks off me ?

also for that A part in question 2 , it asks you to name the plate boundary between eurasian and north american plates . is the Mid Atlantic boundary correct ?

• Advertisement

ye same here altough i did link it to road construction and building construction so maybe i could wing it that way ?! anyone know if they will dock marks off me ?

also for that A part in question 2 , it asks you to name the plate boundary between eurasian and north american plates . is the Mid Atlantic boundary correct ?

:eek:I wrote the type of plate boundary by accident.

Advertisement