Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!!! How did it go?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

Yeah i know! :O

What was the answer to this question?

Name two problems faced by countries where the proportion of people aged 65 years and over is increasing.

I could only think that the government has to pay out pensions etc.. :/

I think I may have forgotten to answer that :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    :eek:I wrote the type of plate boundary by accident.

ugh thats horrible :mad: . well your username is really quite fitting at the moment if thats any conselation .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plmokn

plmokn wrote: »
    Oh and also, for the part B of that question.. The feature on the map, was a beach okay to talk about? Deposition feature? I half talked about bays and headlands... But was afraid to talk about that mainly as there weren't really any headlands on the map...

Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bartho

Name two problems faced by countries where the proportion of people aged 65 years and over is increasing.

I said it causes lack of innovation in all economic sectors. Not sure if it's good enough.
    eek.gifI wrote the type of plate boundary by accident.
    Well... you're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

Does anyone know?

yep . beach is a feature of deposition . i dont have the map infront of me but as long as theres an example of a beach on it , thats an acceptable feature ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

what graph were you meant to draw for question 12?
    Which one did you draw? Was it a bar chart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Loved the paper.. just eh... didn't get to start ANY of the human question, or the last part of regional. Decided to do the biome first and then got caught for time... Completely lost my timing. What I did, I did well, but, sadly I missed out on a lot. Shouldn't have happened...

Same here... I left 2 Part C questions completely blank as I had absolutely no time for them, had to leave a Question B halfway, just to get 5 minutes to write a paragraph on the Soil question. In other words, 2 30 mark questions down the drain and 1 80 mark question :( and stupid old me, went and did 1 question of EACH in Section 2, where you chose either from Q 7 - 9 to 10 - 12. So overall, I actually left 3 part C's blank, but didnt count 1 of them because I wasn't supposed to be doing that question in the first place!!!

I'm so upset it's not even funny :( never cried over an exam, especially not in public. The questions that I missed out were so simple too.. the soil question would have done my grade wonders, as it was the one I learned off completely. The only thing I didnt know was 1 part C, but i'm pretty good when it comes to 'common knowledge' so I think I would have crapped off a few marks there.

Btw, for the benefits of volcanoes... I never studied that, but common sense told me to talk about tourism, economy, and soils. I brought in loads of examples too for tourism. Talked about the Mt Venus (forgot how to spell it) and how it's a major tourist attraction. Then I talked about volcanic landforms that develop through volcanic action - example was the Burren. And then talked about 'indirect' natural landforms that are also developed. And here, I mentioned Iceland, and the hot water springs (altho I blanked out and called it rivers/baths). All of this was related to tourism alone. For fertility of the soils I talked about alluvium etc. As for economy, I mentioned how the fertile soils had an impact on agriculture and therefore the economy, and obviously mentioned tourism. I also talked about how the Gov took advantage of the Iceland hot water springs by building hotels and making them 'private' places (as in, you need to pay to get in), and how the cost is adequate for people of lower incomes.
    If anyone studied that question before, can you tell me if i'm completely wrong, or if my points were on the right track?

Overall, Geography was gonna be the subject where I would have gotten a B at... now idk if I passed or not thanks to my stupidity and the lack of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I was just wondering if there was a misprint on the Geography HL Paper. Not a huge one but on Q5 A one of the parts was something like 'Name two Irish fishing port' :confused:

No I don't think that was a misprint.

I said Gallway and Dingle. Just took a guess at it.

yep . beach is a feature of deposition . i dont have the map infront of me but as long as theres an example of a beach on it , thats an acceptable feature ;)

Sweet, thank you! Starting to feel slightly better about how I may have done now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

wait, plate boundaries have names now??
    i wrote divergent/constructive aswell. the mid-atlantic ridge marks a plate boundary but it's a landform, not a plate boundary? confusing question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bartho

aranciata wrote: »
    wait, plate boundaries have names now??
    i wrote divergent/constructive aswell. the mid-atlantic ridge marks a plate boundary but it's a landform, not a plate boundary? confusing question.
    Yeah... I'm hoping they will accept both boundary name and boundary type since the question wasn't very clear.

Btw, for the benefits of volcanoes... I never studied that, but common sense told me to talk about tourism, economy, and soils. I brought in loads of examples too for tourism. Talked about the Mt Venus (forgot how to spell it) and how it's a major tourist attraction. Then I talked about volcanic landforms that develop through volcanic action - example was the Burren. And then talked about 'indirect' natural landforms that are also developed. And here, I mentioned Iceland, and the hot water springs (altho I blanked out and called it rivers/baths). All of this was related to tourism alone. For fertility of the soils I talked about alluvium etc. As for economy, I mentioned how the fertile soils had an impact on agriculture and therefore the economy, and obviously mentioned tourism. I also talked about how the Gov took advantage of the Iceland hot water springs by building hotels and making them 'private' places (as in, you need to pay to get in), and how the cost is adequate for people of lower incomes.
    If anyone studied that question before, can you tell me if i'm completely wrong, or if my points were on the right track?

It's the Giants Causeway that's a volcanic landform, not the Burren :/ I think what you said about soils and springs and stuff is okay though.. And tourism too... Otherwise, I'm not sure about that Q either!
    Hard luck about missing so much of it! I'm sure you did fine though...

Oh and it's Mt. Vesuvius ;)

Geography was horrific for me. Completely caught off-guard by the questions that came up which I had prepared as half-questions. Had prepared impact of EU expansion on economy and culture, but had to add 5 or so SRPs to the economy part on the day, disaster. Likewise for the causes of Overpopulation, had prepared a cause and an effect, had to improvise something about slum settlements in India.

Got an A1 in the mocks, was hoping for an A1 on Friday. I'd say I got a B1 at most. Gutted. :(

Geography was horrific for me. Completely caught off-guard by the questions that came up which I had prepared as half-questions. Had prepared impact of EU expansion on economy and culture, but had to add 5 or so SRPs to the economy part on the day, disaster. Likewise for the causes of Overpopulation, had prepared a cause and an effect, had to improvise something about slum settlements in India.

Got an A1 in the mocks, was hoping for an A1 on Friday. I'd say I got a B1 at most. Gutted. :(

Ugh, just typing that all out and putting it into words has made me really upset. How many marks am I going to lose? Half for each of the 30mark questions?

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

The question is a bit ambiguous. I'd say they will accept both. I put down constructive plate boundary too. The question was "Name the plate boundary at X". It is a constructive plate boundary and the Mid-Atlantic ridge. Both answers are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It could be something like this:

1. Increased Healthcare costs means there is more money required for Government Expenditure = More tax for Economically Active People
    2. The Dependency ratio would rise, meaning there would be less tax payers (Can be known as carrying capacity either i think).
    3. Fall in Demand for goods, or a change in Demand for certain goods!

Something along those lines!

It could be something like this:

1. Increased Healthcare costs means there is more money required for Government Expenditure = More tax for Economically Active People
    2. The Dependency ratio would rise, meaning there would be less tax payers (Can be known as carrying capacity either i think).
    3. Fall in Demand for goods, or a change in Demand for certain goods!

Something along those lines!

what about low birth rates & decrease in population and a strain on the provision of medical care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

what about low birth rates & decrease in population and a strain on the provision of medical care?
    Well I'm only in 5th year but have studied this in Economics, but your answer sounds perfect too! :D..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

irish_man wrote: »
    The question is a bit ambiguous. I'd say they will accept both. I put down constructive plate boundary too. The question was "Name the plate boundary at X". It is a constructive plate boundary and the Mid-Atlantic ridge. Both answers are correct.

Awh SH1TE!!!!!!!! I KNEW that but just after remembering I wrote "conservative" instead of "constructife" what a to0l :rolleyes: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

what graph were you meant to draw for question 12?
    Which one did you draw? Was it a bar chart?

Yep did a bar chart with 2 bars for each country, forgot to write a heading though:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Gav77 wrote: »
    Yep did a bar chart with 2 bars for each country, forgot to write a heading though:mad:

oh dam I forgot to write to heading as well, I spent ages trying to figure what chart to draw.

Gav77 wrote: »

****, now that I think about it, so did I...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

****, now that I think about it, so did I...

I scribbled it in at 12:19 just before sealing the paper. Thank god, made a S**T load of stupid mistakes :( Still praying for a B2!

Mt. Vesuvius? Now I feel really stupid :p ah well, whatever marks I get on that question are good :D never studied it so there wasn't much of a chance of me getting high marks on it. Thanks =)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

This isn't wrong, it was common sense. I studied it beforehand but the book really didn't give that much so I only concentrated on two points - tourism (put economy and volcanic landforms in this) and geothermal energy in Iceland.

I also talked about Mt Vesuvius! :) Said that people visited for the historical aspect and that it contributed to the tourist industry and then brought in some touristy figures in hopes they'd give me marks. :P Probably not though. Wrote about Iceland and people going there for the hot springs (which I called "natural saunas" before I remembered what they were!) and geysers and stuff.

Then geothermal energy I just said how it was good for the environment and economy and then explained how it worked and drew a diagram!

So what you did was right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

In the sketch map, does anyone know what the heck "600m from easting 50" means???

polka dot wrote: »
    This isn't wrong, it was common sense. I studied it beforehand but the book really didn't give that much so I only concentrated on two points - tourism (put economy and volcanic landforms in this) and geothermal energy in Iceland.

I also talked about Mt Vesuvius! :) Said that people visited for the historical aspect and that it contributed to the tourist industry and then brought in some touristy figures in hopes they'd give me marks. :P Probably not though. Wrote about Iceland and people going there for the hot springs (which I called "natural saunas" before I remembered what they were!) and geysers and stuff.

Then geothermal energy I just said how it was good for the environment and economy and then explained how it worked and drew a diagram!

So what you did was right. :)

That's quite a reassurance, guess I didnt do too bad after all. Thank you very much :).
    Kinda seems you were well prepared for that question, with the figures and stuff! I'm pretty sure they'd give you marks for them, since it sounds better if you're able to give actual numbers instead of just saying 'thousands'!
    Geothermal energy... certainly did not write about that, nor would it have even crossed my mind! My common sense is quite limited to easy stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

In the sketch map, does anyone know what the heck "600m from easting 50" means???

I think I know what you're on about.

You had to go to the number 50 running along the bottom, go east (to the right of the page) and find a place that was 600m above ground. The Sliebhasjdnl (heh cannot remember what they were) hills up at the top were over 600m.

Sorry for double posting.

@ ClaireMarie
    I'm almost positive that meant, any area above 600 meters that was located after the easting 50. Now that I think about it... I think I might have been looking at the northings instead of eastings /facepalm. I think my spot was 605m though..

EDIT: Nvm, was looking at the right place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

polka dot wrote: »
    I think I know what you're on about.

You had to go to the number 50 running along the bottom, go east (to the right of the page) and find a place that was 600m above ground. The Sliebhasjdnl (heh cannot remember what they were) hills up at the top were over 600m.

FECK IT!

Advertisement