Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Decent trailer, though as we all know, cinematic trailers often have absolutely no relevance to the final product. Still, Far Cry was awesome, so hopefully it'll be a return to form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Must give the original another shot some time, loved the first part of the game but lost interest once the
    monster things
    showed up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whatever about its merits as an engine, environment, and it's tone of moral grey areas, Far Cry 2 deserves to be dumped into a pit of fire simply for the infinitely respawning checkpoints. Ubisoft made one of most convincing depictions of a countryside environment, and ruined it with those bloody checkpoints. I never finished the game because of them. Simple as.

As for that FC3 trailer? Jesus, whose bright idea was it to make the hero a party-bro douchebag type? Pretty obnoxious really, and the dubstep didn't help either, godawful noise. Mind you, Dead Island taught we well enough not to judge a game's tone based on its trailer, but errrgh: I don't want to play a knob thanks Ubisoft. Oh well, I'll forget about this until I see some gameplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

pixelburp wrote: »
    Whatever about its merits as an engine, environment, and it's tone of moral grey areas, Far Cry 2 deserves to be dumped into a pit of fire simply for the infinitely respawning checkpoints. Ubisoft made one of most convincing depictions of a countryside environment, and ruined it with those bloody checkpoints. I never finished the game because of them. Simple as.
    You could usually simply blast through them or take a minor detour to go around them (they were chained so would only chase so far or if you had the heavy MG/grenade launcher you'd simply drive 100m, blow up the one or two cars chasing you and move on).

What was annoying for me in FC2 was the side missions to unlock weapons; not only were they repetitive (which I can live with to an extent) but you had to do so damn many of them to unlock the weapons and they always sent you to all corners of the map (which meant I had to go back to pick up my ride of choice over and over again)! Also I had a great hate for anything involving water in FC2 (esp. the boats...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Far Cry 2 pretty much died for me the first time I heard the ****ing intolerable voice acting. Not a full stop or comma to be heard, and spoken ridiculously fast. Then I discovered the respawning checkpoints, the malaria, idiotic distances between objectives and schizophrenic plot line. Never touched it again after only 5 hours play. Horrible horrible game.

I am looking forward to Far Cry 3 though because I remember how balls achingly good the first was. If this can expand on it even more and most importantly leave the trigen/monster crap out of it, then this could be a real cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you killed everyone in a checkpoint during a mission and then had a wander around that checkpoint, you'd get a message that it was cleared or seached or something and enemies wouldn't respawn there anymore. At least they wouldn't for me.

FC2 wasn't an awfuly game, it had a lot of promise but left itself short. They tried for a cerebral plot, but it just came out sounding pretentious. The buddy system started off as a great idea (the other mercs would be roaming the land, doing their own thing like in Stalker, and would help you if you asked, or if they saw you in trouble) but that got dumber down to simply being a second life if you got killed. And the mission themselves weren't too bad, they were just repetative and had you going insane distances to complete them.

Visually though, it was amazing (the thunderstorms in the jungle were incredible looking), so if they can keep up the visual standard set by FC2 and go back to the fun of FC, then this could be a really great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Needs more dubstep

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nody wrote: »
    You could usually simply blast through them or take a minor detour to go around them (they were chained so would only chase so far or if you had the heavy MG/grenade launcher you'd simply drive 100m, blow up the one or two cars chasing you and move on).

From what I remember of the game, many of the roads & paths meant the only way to get from A to B was via these roadblocks. I also recall that these checkpoints quickly respawned; so cleared areas inexplicably became populated once again by more Afrikaaner-types.

It might have all made sense if there was some sort of faction element, but the mercs were indiscriminate and shot you on sight; including the jeep patrols who would charge at you the moment they spotted your vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

5 minutes of gameplay footage here.
    http://videos.videogameszone.de/video/6809/Far-Cry-3-Kommentiertes-Video
    It in German! Gonna watch it now.

Edit: watched it there. It's got a german commentary going over the English gameplay/voice work.

Gotta say I'm liking the way it's looking so far. Gunplay looks really intense and it looks as though
    hallucinogenics are gonna play a big part. (by big I mean something along the lines of the malaria from FC2, which wasn't implemented very well there)

Some scripted first person stuff in there, which hopefully doesn't turn out to be QTEs too often.

Promising stuff there and looks pretty incredible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The MP video here

Far Cry 3's multiplayer mode will offer a few specific perks activated by the aggregation of Team Support Points, the "currency" of multiplayer, VG24/7 writes in a hands-on preview. TSP can buff allies or hinder enemies through features such as psyche gas, which makes the opposing fighters see every person as a demon silhouette, with no reference for team assignment. Battle Cry offers a buff to team members and gives the activator a chunk of TSP.

Each round has an optional map tutorial at its start and an interactive cutscene to end, wherein the top player from the winning team will have the option to beat the losing team to death or to free them. Domination mode seems to be a lesson in classic capture-point format, while Firestorm offers a more creative multiplayer approach, with the offensive team attempting to light two ignition points in the enemy's camp that will be doused with gasoline when the opposing team calls in air support -- unless the enemy secures its radio first.

Looks very cool so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I was not a huge fan of FC2, but I reckon I will give this a go nonetheless. I feel like playing the original actual Far Cry now . . . hmmm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

FC2 was one of the most frustrating games I've played this generation and to say I'm wary of the sequel would be an understatement, but the box art for FC3 .....

50kvtk.jpg

is amongst the best I've ever seen.

I was not a huge fan of FC2, but I reckon I will give this a go nonetheless. I feel like playing the original actual Far Cry now . . . hmmm :P
    I still love FC1. What a game! Fantastic. It doesn't quite hold up to what it was back then but still a fun game.

Looks awfully generic and incredibly linear, and not sure how much of that was actually gameplay either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

pixelburp wrote: »
    Looks awfully generic and incredibly linear, and not sure how much of that was actually gameplay either.

The last one wasn't linear so I can't imagine this one will be either.

Though having said that I didn't think the last one was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

That trailer brought Uncharted as a FPS to mind :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Looks good I enjoyed the last far cry, although there was far to much pointless riving at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Far Cry 2 was a mixed bag for me. Mixed enough for me to dismiss this game out of hand when it was announced. I've been cautiously following it's development since. It looks ok. The mulitplayer looks to be a serious COD clone, more so than any other clones I've seen. They don't even seem to be trying to make it look different.

I'll continue to sit on the fence on this one for now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

From the multiplayer trailer, the gameplay looks like sub par CoD nonsense.

I'm more hopeful on the single player. Looks like they've focused more on the fun elements of how it all hangs together.

Although graphically it looks that a step back from FC2, or maybe I'm put off by the over saturation of colours. Also, I'm worried that the gameplay will get repetitive quickly, similar to 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm looking forward to It having watched this video,dunno how well my pc could handle it though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Minimum specs were already released Seph :)

Minimum Specs

DirectX9c graphics card with 512MB Video RAM Dual core CPU 4GB Memory

Example minimum 1 (NVidia/Intel)
    NVidia GTX8800
    Intel Core2 Duo E6700

Example minimum 2 (AMD)
    AMD Radeon HD2900
    AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+

Recommended Specs
    DirectX11 graphics card with 1024MB Video RAM Quad core CPU 4GB Memory

Example recommended 1 (NVidia/Intel)
    NVidia GTX480
    Intel Core i3-530

Example recommended 2 (AMD)
    AMD Radeon HD5770
    AMD Phenom II X2 565

High Performance Specs
    Latest DirectX11 graphics card
    Latest quad core CPU
    8GB Memory

Example high performance (NVidia/Intel)
    NVidia GTX680
    Intel Core i7-2600K

Example high performance (AMD)
    AMD Radeon HD7970
    AMD Bulldozer FX4150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

can't wait for this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

the first one was classic(anyone remember the pigs driving the jeeps??),but christ on a bike the 2nd one was cr@p,constantly respawning baddies and brand new guns going to sh1te after a short time using them and the constant travelling mad distances.And dont even mention the malaria bolloxology.

will wait and see how this one turns out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Actually looks quite good. Looking forward to this now.
    @ 4:25 - "He hears the Call of Duty and see an opportunity for a Medal of Honour, and heads out into the Battlefield to try and resolve the Crysis" :P

Minimum specs were already released Seph :)

Minimum Specs

DirectX9c graphics card with 512MB Video RAM Dual core CPU 4GB Memory

Example minimum 1 (NVidia/Intel)
    NVidia GTX8800
    Intel Core2 Duo E6700

Example minimum 2 (AMD)
    AMD Radeon HD2900
    AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+

Recommended Specs
    DirectX11 graphics card with 1024MB Video RAM Quad core CPU 4GB Memory

Example recommended 1 (NVidia/Intel)
    NVidia GTX480
    Intel Core i3-530

Example recommended 2 (AMD)
    AMD Radeon HD5770
    AMD Phenom II X2 565

High Performance Specs
    Latest DirectX11 graphics card
    Latest quad core CPU
    8GB Memory

Example high performance (NVidia/Intel)
    NVidia GTX680
    Intel Core i7-2600K

Example high performance (AMD)
    AMD Radeon HD7970
    AMD Bulldozer FX4150

Hmm I guess my gtx 260 896mb should be able to handle it at medium at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Kiith wrote: »
    Actually looks quite good. Looking forward to this now.

@ 4:25 - "He hears the Call of Duty and see an opportunity for a Medal of Honour, and heads out into the Battlefield to try and resolve the Crysis" :P

You forgot "in uncharted territory, but it is kind of the borderland between serious" :pac:

Cool vid though and i'm now looking forward to this game. Lot better advertisement for the game then previous vids. They also seemed to have worked on the misgivings of the second and gone back towards what made the first game great (before the mutants!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

eventually got around to finishing 2; after over a year whilst often a last resort it certainly filled a void over a great expanse so so looking forward to more far cry.

Advertisement