Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

How do you choose syringe? If i have fire proof or hunting syringe and press left on d-pad it just gives me whatever it wants, I don't choose it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you have to go into the crafting menu
    there'll be an 'equip' option there and you can equip it to one of the slots there

it actually took me until just before the second island to figure this out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i got this the other day for the PS3 , really enjoying it so far , i just have one outpost and one tower done so far, i bought one of the maps as well. just wandering around the pirateless part searching for loot etc. i got a sniper rifle as a download, but i need to kill a goat for the extra slot for weapons to equip it i think. i only found 1 goat so far , but chasing him i ran into pirates :( , other times hunting for goats i have been killed by a tiger,lizards and a pack of dogs. is there a certain area they hang out or is it pot luck ? there is no goat symbols on the map. or should i just proceed to take out more outposts/towers ?

as you disable more radio towers, that area of the map will be revealed to you and you can see where the various animals hang out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

2smiggy wrote: »
    i got this the other day for the PS3 , really enjoying it so far , i just have one outpost and one tower done so far, i bought one of the maps as well. just wandering around the pirateless part searching for loot etc. i got a sniper rifle as a download, but i need to kill a goat for the extra slot for weapons to equip it i think. i only found 1 goat so far , but chasing him i ran into pirates :( , other times hunting for goats i have been killed by a tiger,lizards and a pack of dogs. is there a certain area they hang out or is it pot luck ? there is no goat symbols on the map. or should i just proceed to take out more outposts/towers ?

I found a hape of goats after ages... ages.. then I couldn't take their skin because my pouch was full.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Don't know if anyone has seen the interview with Far Cry 3's writer on RPS - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/far-cry-3s-jeffrey-yohalem-on-racism-torture-and-satire/

He is discussing the apparent racism, dodgy handling of serious issues and so on by claiming it's an artistic form of satire. I call bull**** to be honest. The best bit is where he claims that skinning animals not actually being skin is part of the whole satirical theme. Good tough questions by RPS though. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Racism ? seriously? does he have **** all else to write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey Guys,

Cheapest place to pick this up on the PC?

Have people got on ok with the grey market jobies?

i found the whole racism/rape furore about the game to be pretty tiring. for a start it wasn't racist, it was a pretty bad, pretty generic story. The main characters were as much caricatures as the island inhabitants and I just don't get the rape thing tbh.
    In tomb raider it's a bit of a creepy move as the whole idea of rape being something a woman has to overcome in some heroic or daring manner but in far cry.. the dude was raped, it happened, he'll have to deal with it. the end.
    As a part of the story it worked pretty well I thought. That guy (can't remember his name) was a great villain, he just didn't give a **** and the little hints about wotsisname being raped in between quests were a good way of adding some urgency and meaning to that collection of quests. I wonder how many people who are complaining about the rape in far cry 3 own dvds where a character was raped either to advance the plot or just to show how evil a character was and manage to go about their day without complaining online about how offensive it was.
    The whole thing smacks of gamers feeling that they have to make apologies for games in a way they wouldn't feel compelled to for other media. Screw it, I've never once felt bad for reading a song of ice and fire or wondered if the inclusion of a rape scene in one of the books was "contextualy justified" or whatever bollocks games reviewers spout when they want to sound clever. (saying that I do wonder if terry goodkind is legally obliged to have kahlan just barely escape from a gang rape at least once in each book)
    . The story in far cry 3 was a bit ****ty but the story in most games is a bit ****ty. Story isn't gamings strongest point (generally speaking) and it's refreshing to see games where villains aren't just comically evil "i have to stop them before they blow up the multiverse". This was a dude who was trying to save his friend from a sick bastard. It didn't have to be any more than that and yeah it didn't have to be rape, but it was. We could have spent 40 odd hours running around the islands tickling pirates instead but we shot them in the face or set them on fire, or stabbed them in the neck or set ****ing tigers on them.

Storm, tea cup, hippy bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I kept trying to disable the alarms...just as easy to shoot the box on each alarm post from a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hey Guys,

Cheapest place to pick this up on the PC?

Have people got on ok with the grey market jobies?

g2play.net hovering around 20 quid last few days

i got mine there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

went for a quick dip last night
    got mauled by a shark!

so long as you can mash the e button on your keyboard sharks or crocodiles are kinda ****ty

i'd have much preferred it if there was some sort of quicktime like that, but once it ended you still had to either run away or fight the shark witha knife rather than just tapping one button on the keyboard and ending the sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

srumball wrote: »
    went for a quick dip last night
    got mauled by a shark!
    the shark areas are marked on the map like :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

i found the whole racism/rape furore about the game to be pretty tiring. for a start it wasn't racist, it was a pretty bad, pretty generic story. The main characters were as much caricatures as the island inhabitants and I just don't get the rape thing tbh.
    In tomb raider it's a bit of a creepy move as the whole idea of rape being something a woman has to overcome in some heroic or daring manner but in far cry.. the dude was raped, it happened, he'll have to deal with it. the end.
    As a part of the story it worked pretty well I thought. That guy (can't remember his name) was a great villain, he just didn't give a **** and the little hints about wotsisname being raped in between quests were a good way of adding some urgency and meaning to that collection of quests. I wonder how many people who are complaining about the rape in far cry 3 own dvds where a character was raped either to advance the plot or just to show how evil a character was and manage to go about their day without complaining online about how offensive it was.
    The whole thing smacks of gamers feeling that they have to make apologies for games in a way they wouldn't feel compelled to for other media. Screw it, I've never once felt bad for reading a song of ice and fire or wondered if the inclusion of a rape scene in one of the books was "contextualy justified" or whatever bollocks games reviewers spout when they want to sound clever. (saying that I do wonder if terry goodkind is legally obliged to have kahlan just barely escape from a gang rape at least once in each book)
    . The story in far cry 3 was a bit ****ty but the story in most games is a bit ****ty. Story isn't gamings strongest point (generally speaking) and it's refreshing to see games where villains aren't just comically evil "i have to stop them before they blow up the multiverse". This was a dude who was trying to save his friend from a sick bastard. It didn't have to be any more than that and yeah it didn't have to be rape, but it was. We could have spent 40 odd hours running around the islands tickling pirates instead but we shot them in the face or set them on fire, or stabbed them in the neck or set ****ing tigers on them.

Storm, tea cup, hippy bollocks.

I agree with much of what you say but I thought the writer's explanations were just laughable. As much as I like RPS their "worrying" about these issues can be a bit tiresome. I think games could be far more mature than they are though and funnily enough in terms of making you as a player feel bad for what you are doing Far Cry 2 actually did it in a clever way that worked for me. In the end the whole "I am an artist" and chose to over-exaggerate gaming stereotypes to make the player consider them is crap imo. Make us consider these things by treating them in a mature or interesting manner.

oh yeah, im not sure I buy the writers bull**** either. I just groaned this morning when I saw what must have been the fifth or sixth article on kotaku about it so I felt like venting.

I only read kotaku for their occasional articles about asian women in funny costumes, so damned if I'm registering an account to vent there.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    g2play.net hovering around 20 quid last few days

i got mine there

funnily enough they dont like me.

My paypal account dates to before I had a credit card, so its in my mams name, and my g2play account is in my name, so they wouldnt send me the key unless i sent them scans of mine and my mams ID (despite it being our names being "mammy menow" and "witness menow")

menow is a pretty strange surname, is it french?

originates from the orient, Mi Nao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

originates from the orient, Mi Nao

Also related to the Cat word Mi Aow, meaning 'Get out of the way, you furless pink fcuker.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just cleared it. That was f*cking EPIC!! Take a bow Ubi! Wasn't expecting a tug at the heart strings at the end. I chose to
    save my friends, poor ol' Citra. I wish Brody took the knife out and stabbed Dennis with it!

Now....to get the letters, memory cards and the last of the outposts. Oh and I can finally look up the DLC coming out.

What a game!

Edit:
    The DLC is just more co-op campaigns??? ah balls

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just cleared it. That was f*cking EPIC!! Take a bow Ubi! Wasn't expecting a tug at the heart strings at the end. I chose to
    save my friends, poor ol' Citra. I wish Brody took the knife out and stabbed Dennis with it!

Now....to get the letters, memory cards and the last of the outposts. Oh and I can finally look up the DLC coming out.

What a game!

Edit:
    The DLC is just more co-op campaigns??? ah balls

go on youtube and look up the ending where you side with citra, it's excellent

Ah crap, meant to do that. Will check it out later.

go on youtube and look up the ending where you side with citra, it's excellent

Horse it into ya Cynthia! That was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

This is £22.49 on Amazon now if anyone's interested. Seems to be quite a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm trying to get this working under Wine on Linux but no luck, FC3Updater.exe keeps giving me hassle, even after manually updating to 1.04
    http://i.imgur.com/xYg2w.png

Uplay and the Map Editor works just not the game, aaargh!

Have all the trophies except the CO-OP ones. Gave one level a go and it was a laugh but had to head away near the end and couldn't be bothered playing it again. I seriously need single player DLC with more outposts! Ubi just give us a new smaller island and i'll be throwing money at my PS3!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On the second island, started clearing camps and towers. Stormed into one camp, released a bear... Job done i thought. One guard sounded the alarm.. So I think, a jeep or two of reinforcements.. Easy.

A helicopter showed up, a ****ing helicopter. Caught me by surprise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not long now till I get to play this :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So, this was under the tree for me today. Played about 2-3 hours and decided to go with the highest difficulty. I managed to get killed escaping from the camp at the VERY start. Sign of things to come.

Then played some challenges. Got killed by boars numerous times. There's a definite 'edge' to playing on Warrior but it keeps things tense.

Enjoying the story actually, which I'm surprised at in a sandbox.

Advertisement