Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DarkJager wrote: »
    How do you come to that conclusion? It's probably one of the nicest looking games ever released IMO.

Comparing it to the PC version. The framerate isn't great, you can see where they've had to sacrifice details and there's some really shocking textures e.g look in the shop and the various item such as that radio, pop-in is a small issue in fairness; but the draw distance is really where it hurts, it really spoils the illusion of the immersive environment when you scale a radio tower and look out and see the stitching between the backdrop and the gameworld.

In fairness we've gotten 7 years from the xbox at this stage and it's kind of amazing that it's been good for as long as it has. The likes of COD were always going to be optimized for consoles, but with the resurgence in PC gaming you can see that developers are starting to refocus and are really hitting the limit of what the consoles can do. Battlefield 3 was the first time I wished I had a gaming rig in years and again that same feeling popped up today. I'm really enjoyed FC3 but I can't get away from the fact that I'm not getting to play it at it's optimal detail.

How do you cancel a bow draw? I thought it was X, but that's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Knife fights are the bane of this game, it is a shooter not a flipping "guess the correct button mashing sequence"-er!

What is wrong with game devs these days, I've killed hundreds of pirates and mercs up to this point with guns, explosives and rockets, but now you suddenly want me a dark disco room dancing around the badguy with a knife?

I wish it was more open: here's the badguy, he has loads of guards, go and kill him however you see fit.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The frame rate on the PS3 has worsened over time from what I've seen.

I had little to no problem in the first few days, from starting to completing the game. A week later, I noticed frame rate issues here and there and it's continued on increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Tried to get this for the xbox today in Tipp but they said nowhere in Ireland has it at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

This is why it's so great.

The amount of random things that happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Lads is there any easier way to kill some of the more vicious predators in the jungle such as the Tiger or Bear? I was being all stealthy in the jungle, marking my targets at an outpost I was about to attack, when all of a suddent a ****ing Tiger comes out of nowhere and starts swiping at me. I had my silenced sniper equipped so without thinking I dropped a C4 and blew the cat to pieces, but then the lads at the outpost were on to me and set the alarm off and make it ridiculously hard. I find the guns have very little effect on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Lads is there any easier way to kill some of the more vicious predators in the jungle such as the Tiger or Bear? I was being all stealthy in the jungle, marking my targets at an outpost I was about to attack, when all of a suddent a ****ing Tiger comes out of nowhere and starts swiping at me. I had my silenced sniper equipped so without thinking I dropped a C4 and blew the cat to pieces, but then the lads at the outpost were on to me and set the alarm off and make it ridiculously hard. I find the guns have very little effect on them.
    Just let him bite your arm then knife him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Got one in ken black wexford for €34.99 (xbox) yesterday,all gone in xtravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I've found molotov cocktales do the trick against bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Craft the animal repellent syringe and use it while marking your targets, you may need to use two while your checking the outposts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just finished the
    Doppelganger
    mission on the South Island.
    It's the first mission that has actually frustrated the **** out of me, especially the very last room before the dock with the heavies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Playing this a couple of days and feck I gotta say I am loving it. Just F-ing loving it.

Recently upgraded my machine (pc version) so I have the gfx settings on ultra and everything is just amazing. I heard "Skyrim with guns" mentioned somewhere. Could have been this thread. TBH, Skyrim has nothing on this game in some ways. The characters in FC3 are so much better. The voice acting is so much more real.
    Gameplay is excellent. So many ways to kill an enemy. Go in with guns blazing if you wish. Take them down silently. Use the wildlife to give you a hand. Bow & Arrows? (personally not very fond of but I can see the attraction to some)
    The characters actually look different... This I found very annoying in Skyrim / Oblivion etc.. Now this is not always the case for random characters who appear when you take out a stronghold but that's to be expected.
    The soundtrack too. It's epic. I'm still fairly early in the game. (burning out some weed fields at the moment) but once I got close the music kicked in and I was seriously loving it. I sat crouched in a hut and just listened for a bit. Great.
    I take my time with RPGs. Always have. I started the first few missions and just went off on the side track. Did a few side missions. Hunted a few relics. Upgraded most of my gear to the rare set or close enough. Back on main quest now to get more skills.
    I'll update my final thoughts when I finish it which could be a while.

Someone a few posts up is on about wildlife while getting close to a stronghold. I love this about the game. Sitting there scouting out the area. Suddenly a roar from behind. Already I know its fubar. At this range its really only the shotgun that's gonna take it out quick enough unless its a dog. But the shotgun will let everyone know I'm there. DOH.
    As scwazrh said. Animal repellent if it really gets to you. That or just scout more before you approach a stronghold.

Now, back to the epic music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Picked this up for €35 in Smyths yesterday. Bargain! Loving it so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I drove a jetski off a waterfall a while ago.

Brilliant.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Just realised...
    vT3iQ.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Chavways wrote: »

You can't just say that and not leave the map coordinates. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Used to be worried about fall damage from small hills or buildings, but I have the wing suit and now use it on even the smallest of hills.

Varik wrote: »
    Used to be worried about fall damage from small hills or buildings, but I have the wing suit and now use it on even the smallest of hills.

I have no idea what you are even talking about. But I am excited none the less. Am I in for a let down? The only thing that does annoy me is fall damage. No prob when it's a decent height. But there are times I lose 2 bars for a single feckin step...

Noxin wrote: »

I have no idea what you are even talking about. But I am excited none the less. Am I in for a let down? The only thing that does annoy me is fall damage. No prob when it's a decent height. But there are times I lose 2 bars for a single feckin step...

The wingsuit is unlocked when you reach the south island. It's basically a personal hand glider you can deploy whenever you want :D As for the falls, there is a skill that will reduce the damage you take from them.

Just customised the Z93 sniper rifle with a silencer, high power scope and extended mag. It's an absolute beast of a weapon. Add in the Touch of Death stims and it's the only tool needed for camp clearing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

What's the best way to make money? I'm running low in funds since I'm upgrading a lot and I've taken a break from the missions.

• Advertisement

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    What's the best way to make money? I'm running low in funds since I'm upgrading a lot and I've taken a break from the missions.

It's a bit of a grind but if you're any bit decent at the knife throwing, just keep playing the 50 or 100 bet games in Amanaki Village. Played straight games of it for an hour one night and came away eith nearly 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Someone a few posts up is on about wildlife while getting close to a stronghold. I love this about the game. Sitting there scouting out the area. Suddenly a roar from behind. Already I know its fubar. At this range its really only the shotgun that's gonna take it out quick enough unless its a dog. But the shotgun will let everyone know I'm there. DOH.
    As scwazrh said. Animal repellent if it really gets to you. That or just scout more before you approach a stronghold.

That was me and it wasnt a complaint about the game, I like it, it's just difficult to kill the bastards! I have since crafted a couple of animal repellants,
    Chavways wrote: »

I did that earlier as well! Was bombing along and saw the waterfall, looked for a rampy looking rock and hit it expecting there to be more water... Landed on a bridge, unharmed! Was awesome.
    Nemanja91 wrote: »

LOOT. Take everything you can and quicksell the crap you get, also, if you see a group of pirates attacking villagers, help them finish the pirates off and then go up to one of the lads and he'll give you $100-300. Also do those hunting and WANTED missions in the outposts you've taken, you can get $250-$500 for them and they are great craic.

Seriously obsessed with this game. Game of the year by a mile for me, said before, can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game this much. San Andreas maybe?

The wingsuit is unlocked when you reach the south island. It's basically a personal hand glider you can deploy whenever you want :D As for the falls, there is a skill that will reduce the damage you take from them.

Just customised the Z93 sniper rifle with a silencer, high power scope and extended mag. It's an absolute beast of a weapon. Add in the Touch of Death stims and it's the only tool needed for camp clearing :D

Z93? Is that a sig weapon? Or do the weapons change in later game? I know I move to different islands (dunno if I can come back yet??, I've not looked into it)

My main two weapons of choice at the moment are the MS16 with suppressor and optical sight and the M-700 with
    HP scope and suppressor. Others are a shotgun and last is whatever takes my fancy. Currently a GL-94 for boom boom on those missions where I don't give a rats about being stealthy.

Z93? Is that a sig weapon? Or do the weapons change in later game? I know I move to different islands (dunno if I can come back yet??, I've not looked into it)

My main two weapons of choice at the moment are the MS16 with suppressor and optical sight and the M-700 with
    HP scope and suppressor. Others are a shotgun and last is whatever takes my fancy. Currently a GL-94 for boom boom on those missions where I don't give a rats about being stealthy.

There is a customised version of the Z93 that's a signature weapon but the basic Z93 is unlocked with another 7 weapons once you reach south island. And yes, you can travel between the islands once you get there.

There is a customised version of the Z93 that's a signature weapon but the basic Z93 is unlocked with another 7 weapons once you reach south island. And yes, you can travel between the islands once you get there.

Sweet. Don't need to worry about getting all relics etc.. before leaving. Cheers m8. And more weapons. Makes me a happy man :D

Sweet. Don't need to worry about getting all relics etc.. before leaving. Cheers m8. And more weapons. Makes me a happy man :D

It's well worth picking up the relics just for the recipes you get. 30 relics will unlock the Untouchable syringe which is 30 seconds of invincibility, and 40 relics will unlock touch of death which is 30 seconds of one shot kills :D They both require a serious amount of plants to craft but just having one or both in your possession can turn the tide of any shootout if things go pear shaped.

It's well worth picking up the relics just for the recipes you get. 30 relics will unlock the Untouchable syringe which is 30 seconds of invincibility, and 40 relics will unlock touch of death which is 30 seconds of one shot kills :D They both require a serious amount of plants to craft but just having one or both in your possession can turn the tide of any shootout if things go pear shaped.

Good thing to know. tbh, thus far I've found the game easy to some degree. Maybe stealthing around is op.. i dunno but doing so, i've found it very easy to take out any base. Now I'm still on the first island so maybe things will change later. But I just came across my first base with two heavy guards that took me a while to figure out how to kill silently. (also great fun figuring it out) Even got pi$$ed at it at one point. But that was also due to a ganking tiger hanging around. :pac:
    But it's good to know that herbalism (sorry, wow head) comes in handy later. So far its been green herbs all the way unless I had to bow shoot a hunter quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

This game started out amazing and then decended into colour by numbers by the end. I originally heard it was so open you could do anything, but half way through the story it became so scripted it made Call of Duty seem like a sandbox game. You can't go into a village or meet anyone without your gun disappearing. The best bit of the game was capturing the outposts, towers and completing the wanted missions. They were great fun and very Arkham City-esque. Maybe Far Cry 4 will be the total package.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Got this yesterday and have spent that last 12-ish hours playing it. At first I was like:

This is what they tried to so with Far Cry 2 ಠ_ಠ

Then I was like

This is what they tried to so with Far Cry 2 ಥ_ಥ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can't get this anywhere

:(

Advertisement