Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 3

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if I managed to make it through the stalkersoup mod subtitles, I'll figure my way through this

it's about a fiver on amazon so I'll pick it up next week when I can throw some money in the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

mewso wrote: »
    It's odd but while I disagree and totally enjoyed Far Cry 3 there is lots of stuff there that we really should have been seeing more of in games long before now imo.

It got me thinking of good old Boiling Point, a game that remains one of my all time favorites purely based on ambition. Buggy but eventually fixed and perfectly playable these days. So I went and bought the follow up to that game Xenus 2: White Gold and once I had downloaded the Russian audio and unofficial fan patch away I went wandering around a series of tropical islands doing side missions galore for either Government, Guerrillas, Mafia, Civilians, native Indians or Bandits depending on my leanings.

This has involved boating my way to an island of hippies and helping that group get their fill of ganja, buying a spare oxygen tank to then dive into the sea and find an underground cave where a diver was trapped, flying a plane over a town on one of the larger islands to drop guerrilla propaganda leaflets, buying my own island, sailing to a small island with a statue of lenin to fix it and turn the statue so that he is pointing in the right direction to inspire the guerrillas and at some point I will contact the CIA on the main island to follow the main story missions to track down the source of dodgy cocaine.

Once I've finished that I'll try their other game released at the same time called Precursors which is a sci-fi game where you wander a planet in fps mode doing missions, buy a space ship and engage in elite style combat while travelling to other planets with more areas to wander in fps doing more side missions.

These kinds of things make me wish more games including Far Cry 3 weren't more ambitious :)

Interesting. Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Why have I never heard of this game...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mewso wrote: »
    It's odd but while I disagree and totally enjoyed Far Cry 3 there is lots of stuff there that we really should have been seeing more of in games long before now imo.

It got me thinking of good old Boiling Point, a game that remains one of my all time favorites purely based on ambition. Buggy but eventually fixed and perfectly playable these days. So I went and bought the follow up to that game Xenus 2: White Gold and once I had downloaded the Russian audio and unofficial fan patch away I went wandering around a series of tropical islands doing side missions galore for either Government, Guerrillas, Mafia, Civilians, native Indians or Bandits depending on my leanings.

This has involved boating my way to an island of hippies and helping that group get their fill of ganja, buying a spare oxygen tank to then dive into the sea and find an underground cave where a diver was trapped, flying a plane over a town on one of the larger islands to drop guerrilla propaganda leaflets, buying my own island, sailing to a small island with a statue of lenin to fix it and turn the statue so that he is pointing in the right direction to inspire the guerrillas and at some point I will contact the CIA on the main island to follow the main story missions to track down the source of dodgy cocaine.

Once I've finished that I'll try their other game released at the same time called Precursors which is a sci-fi game where you wander a planet in fps mode doing missions, buy a space ship and engage in elite style combat while travelling to other planets with more areas to wander in fps doing more side missions.

These kinds of things make me wish more games including Far Cry 3 weren't more ambitious :)

that sounds awesome,I think I may need to buy that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

if I managed to make it through the stalkersoup mod subtitles, I'll figure my way through this

it's about a fiver on amazon so I'll pick it up next week when I can throw some money in the bank

can't find it on amazon at all

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Dat game, Precursors...

Developers won't take chances anyway. They could and they could pull it off. But instead of a game like Precursors....they stick to the generally accepted and what I know find overdone and repetitive games. Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eREddMjt4 Why don't any big company attempt something like this? Imagine a little star system to explore with quests on it and stuff. It's what I hope Future Sci fi games are like. Imagine if Mass effect had something like this in it too/

• Advertisement

can't find it on amazon at all

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boiling-Point-Road-Hell-DVD/dp/B0019Y0R5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357043199&sr=8-2

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-XENUS2/xenus-2-white-gold

xenus isn't on amazon. i dl'd a torrent but then found it on gamersgate so I'll buy it from there after I get boiling point

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah I bought Xenus 2 on gamersgate and will grab Precursors when it goes on discount or maybe I'll give in at some point and pay the 16 quid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Loved boiling point. Was waiting for xenus 2 to come out for English regions but looks like gamers gate is the only place to get it in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Boiling point was a game that really interested me when it was first released but the many bugs/issues killed my enjoyment so never got far into it. If as you say the bugs are now gone (main ones anyway) then I'll def reinstall this at some point. The ambition of that game at the time was amazing and still is today!

Never realised they made a sequel and are still developing ambitious FPS games, will have to look them up later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

There was a large patch released for Boiling Point which fixed most problems. Not all but certainly made it playable for me.

English version of Xenus 2 only ever had the cut scenes in english and at first had major sound issues until the russian audio was made available because that contained all the missing sounds. Boiling Point as bad as it was had a proper english version. Nothing they have done since has had the same. I do wonder if these guys are still developing these kinds of games as they have been quiet for a long time.

RPS were big-ish fans - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/17/the-longest-day-24-hours-in-white-gold/ - that post includes the video of the enlgish intro. which is hilariously bad.

Anyway sorry way of topic in the thread. Should have started a new one.

• Advertisement

screw it. this is now a boiling point thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They fixed boiling point? thats one your an american in uhhh mexico looking for your kid?

dont recall it ever working to a playable level :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Boiling point was horribly bad. One of my memories was a soccer ball that was square. The idea of the game was amazing though

Ahh yeah i still have that game here.

Must try it again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Installing this most of the day. 80%..come on ****ty connection.

heh just read the info about Rook Island Lighthouse :D

X674 573 is where you can jetski off the waterfall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I have become addicted to Poker. It's a good earner if you can win.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    X674 573 is where you can jetski off the waterfall :)

You get to ramp off the waterfall during one of the early races/time trials. The one near the village where you start off, Crocdile Alley I think it's called.
    I have become addicted to Poker. It's a good earner if you can win.

The poker mini-game is very well done, though I've lost a nice chunk of money on it, I did win my first expert game last night. Pulled an 8 on the river to complete a straight on an all in bet :)

How many story missions is it before you get moved to the South Island? Can you get back to north easily enough? Just completing the side mission/collectibles at moment before I enter
    Badtown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i miss this game when i'm not playing it. not proud of that but there you go.

nothing sweeter than luring some cheeseburger directly into a c4 explosion.

Any tips on luring bunches in the same direction? does the flare get their attention without giving away your location?

i found a cave by accident on the way to do the rice field mission and it let me to a waterfall, I was stuck there finding a way to get down and then realised you can just jump, the physics of diving under water are fantastic.

Leftist wrote: »
    i miss this game when i'm not playing it. not proud of that but there you go.

I'm starting to get that feeling as well. Stuck in work just waiting to get home to continue on the journey :(

I was taking an outpost last night and after scouting the place I noticed there was 5 guys there (1 sniper and 4 chargers). I sniped the two alarm boxes but missed my shot taking out the sniper which gave away my general direction. Second shot killed the sniper but the 4 chargers came flying my direction but couldn't find me as I moved to a different bush. Noticed they were in a group so just peeked out and fired a shot with the nade launcher, killing all of them which resulted in an undected outpost and an achievement to boot (Boom in the Box) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I'm starting to get that feeling as well. Stuck in work just waiting to get home to continue on the journey :(

I was taking an outpost last night and after scouting the place I noticed there was 5 guys there (1 sniper and 4 chargers). I sniped the two alarm boxes but missed my shot taking out the sniper which gave away my general direction. Second shot killed the sniper but the 4 chargers came flying my direction but couldn't find me as I moved to a different bush. Noticed they were in a group so just peeked out and fired a shot with the nade launcher, killing all of them which resulted in an undected outpost and an achievement to boot (Boom in the Box) :D
    :cool:

i read somewhere earlier in this thread that the outposts are all the same = this is lies.

I hit one last night that had great vantage points and was easy to do all with knife.

Did another one a few minutes later that was on a hill and had dog patrols which I wasn't aware of and had no animal repelent.

Another one had heavy armour patrols in a tiger infested jungle.

Don't agree they are all the same at all.

Did another one a few minutes later that was on a hill and had dog patrols which I wasn't aware of and had no animal repelent.

Yeah I agree with you there.

I'm still on North Island and while there was a few that felt samey, the last 4 or 5 have all been different. This was due I think to their locations and the general randomness of the world that affects them i.e. patrol car driving by or usually some bypassing animals that decides to cause mayham!

I hate dogs in outposts too - found one last night with only 3 guys but 6 dogs and me also with no repelent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

:cool:

i read somewhere earlier in this thread that the outposts are all the same = this is lies.

I hit one last night that had great vantage points and was easy to do all with knife.

Ya most of them are different. Theres one where theres one guard and around 10 dogs.I love just sniping from a bush realy far away and the guards not having a clue where you are..Just got onto the south island so got the wingsuit:D

n.

Any tips on luring bunches in the same direction? does the flare get their attention without giving away your location?

Put C4 on your car (back bumper), drive towards the outpost jump out and hide. They will investigate the car :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Got this for the PS3 for xmas but haven't played it yet. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I just tried playing this for the first time today after picking it up in the Steam sale, and it is unplayable for me. It keeps crashing to desktop at random times and it seems that my save games are not being stored as a result. I have had to sit through the opening sequence five times now . . . very disappointing. First game I have had serious crashing issues with in a very long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone find the outposts on the South Island very easy? Most of them have high vantage points to one side, too easy just to snipe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I just tried playing this for the first time today after picking it up in the Steam sale, and it is unplayable for me. It keeps crashing to desktop at random times and it seems that my save games are not being stored as a result. I have had to sit through the opening sequence five times now . . . very disappointing. First game I have had serious crashing issues with in a very long time!

Are you running it in dx9 or dx11? Apart from the obvious driver updates I can't think of anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭DavidMelv

Went into xtra vision today but it was sold out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

DavidMelv wrote: »
    Went into xtra vision today but it was sold out :(

I rang them when they opened and they said the shipment will be in a hour .Rang back a hour and half later they were sold out

Advertisement