Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

grizzly wrote: »
    My finger is now hovering over the Steam pre-order button. Can't think of many reasons not to (apart from being broke).

Anyone tempted by the extra missions on the delux?

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/far-cry-3-review/

Here's another reason to buy. PCgamer giving it 89 is some achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just curious is the game preloaded yet or will it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

will probably make this my christmas game :D
    Now if only there were so good strategy games to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

grizzly wrote: »
    My finger is now hovering over the Steam pre-order button. Can't think of many reasons not to (apart from being broke).

Anyone tempted by the extra missions on the delux?

Why buy it on steam, it's a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why buy it on steam, it's a rip off.

Because if you get the deluxe which is the same price everywhere I looked has extra missions

The Deluxe Edition includes:

The Monkey Business Pack: Meet Hurk and his explosive bomb-carrying monkey in four heart-pounding missions and get two bonus ways to humiliate your friends in multiplayer.

The Lost Expeditions: Discover the secrets of the island’s lost World War II ruins in two suspenseful action missions, and unlock the power of a shotgun in a one-handed flare gun in multiplayer.

The Warrior Pack: Strike fear in your enemies with an exclusive dagger and get an early unlock of the tattoo editor in multiplayer.

The Predator Pack: Hunt four ferocious animals with the M-700 Predator Rifle in single-player and silently kill opponents with the unlocked Predator Bow in multiplayer.

The Survival Guide artbook (pdf file): Discover unique artwork and insider information to help you survive the insanity of the island.
    The game soundtrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Did you read the rest though? Each is unique in its approach. If its done right then I have no problem.

I did. I agree that if it's done right, it'll be good but then that's true of pretty much anything. I just don't trust Ubisoft with making an open world FPS with any kind of flow the same way as Crytek did with the first incarnation. Far Cry 2 felt extremely plastic to me and had the most uninteresting yet marvelous looking world.

To put it simply, I'll reserve final judgement on the game for when it comes out but if it features repetitive generic side quests, respawning enemies, a nonexistent stealth mechanic, an uninteresting locale, boring combat and a contrived upgrade system* then I think I'll pass.

*FC2 had all these things IMO, although it promised the opposite, and the EG even says that much of what's true of FC3 was true of FC2 as well and calls that game "magnificent".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Headshot wrote: »
    Because if you get the deluxe which is the same price everywhere I looked has extra missions

The Deluxe Edition includes:

The Monkey Business Pack: Meet Hurk and his explosive bomb-carrying monkey in four heart-pounding missions and get two bonus ways to humiliate your friends in multiplayer.

The Lost Expeditions: Discover the secrets of the island’s lost World War II ruins in two suspenseful action missions, and unlock the power of a shotgun in a one-handed flare gun in multiplayer.

The Warrior Pack: Strike fear in your enemies with an exclusive dagger and get an early unlock of the tattoo editor in multiplayer.

The Predator Pack: Hunt four ferocious animals with the M-700 Predator Rifle in single-player and silently kill opponents with the unlocked Predator Bow in multiplayer.

The Survival Guide artbook (pdf file): Discover unique artwork and insider information to help you survive the insanity of the island.
    The game soundtrack

Ah right, I'm just getting the lost expeditions edition and it's €15 cheaper to get a physical copy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sounding good - like the fascinating and experimental Far Cry 2 but with some of (if not all) the rough edges sanded down :)

When Gamecentral, Eurogamer and Edge all like a game, it tends to be worth checking out ;) Hurrah for the cynical reviewers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I wouldnt use eurogamer as a benchmark at all, however PC gamer and RockPaperShotgun seem to really like it,they are usually pretty spot on but then again im a firm believer in never to judge a game from reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

briany wrote: »

I did. I agree that if it's done right, it'll be good but then that's true of pretty much anything. I just don't trust Ubisoft with making an open world FPS with any kind of flow the same way as Crytek did with the first incarnation. Far Cry 2 felt extremely plastic to me and had the most uninteresting yet marvelous looking world.

To put it simply, I'll reserve final judgement on the game for when it comes out but if it features repetitive generic side quests, respawning enemies, a nonexistent stealth mechanic, an uninteresting locale, boring combat and a contrived upgrade system* then I think I'll pass.

*FC2 had all these things IMO, although it promised the opposite, and the EG even says that much of what's true of FC3 was true of FC2 as well and calls that game "magnificent".

I'll wait as well, I have to so I can benefit if the player reviews but by all things written about it so far it's looking like an extremely solid game.

But yea, if it has respawning enemies and side quests that are very repetitive ill be hard pushed to pick it up. I really hated the respawning enemy checkpoints, and the weapon ware and tear mechanics were too exaggerated, don't even mention the malaria sh/te.

But as I said I can let everyone else spend their money on it and see how it really is :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think I'll preorder in gamestop tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

oh,are ya'll getting it for pc or console,dunno how well it would run on my pc,sleeping dogs ran good so maybe it'll be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

oh,are ya'll getting it for pc or console,dunno how well it would run on my pc,sleeping dogs ran good so maybe it'll be ok :)

Pc for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm interested in how it'll run on my PC too. I tend to pick up the Xbox 360 version if I feel the PC one will run anything less than perfect on my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah WTF man! I have enough games to get through, just finished The Walking Dead that is my GOTY and now i'm just reading how Far Cry 3 will be game of the year from a lot of review sites! This wasn't on my radar at all but reading about the stuff you can do, I'm mad to play it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Wow, i wasn't expecting those review scores.

Was thinking I'd 'trial' it after FC2 but it looks like going on my list of purchases.

Gametrailers review

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/dyxtjr/far-cry-3-review

Absolutely raging I just got Hitman, should have got this instead!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It is pretty GPU intensive, all maxed out in DX11 anyway :eek:, although I am sure it will run great on all of the cards in the list with a handful of the most demanding settings turned down a notch or two.

Far-Cry-3-Test-GPUs-1080p.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just spent 40 quid on games ill probably never play. F*ck yeah.

Edit: Wrong thread soz

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Gametrailers review

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/dyxtjr/far-cry-3-review

Cheers for the link its a really good review , they break things down and provide a detailed look at the game . Never got on with Far Cry games but I think I'll be checking this out . Looking forward to playing a FPS with a meaty single player section , they seem a little thin on the ground lately .

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    It is pretty GPU intensive, all maxed out in DX11 anyway :eek:, although I am sure it will run great on all of the cards in the list with a handful of the most demanding settings turned down a notch or two.

boo. My 560Ti will only get 25FPS according to that :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

quarryman wrote: »
    boo. My 560Ti will only get 25FPS according to that :(

In fairness even the high setting still look pretty good, and you shouldn't have any problems getting a some sort of mixture of ultra and high settings running very smoothly.

marco_polo wrote: »

how do you think a gtx 260 896mb,q9300 @2.50ghz 4 gigs ram would run it?

how do you think a gtx 260 896mb,q9300 @2.50ghz 4 gigs ram would run it?

Well it still a fairly reasonable card, and bear in mind those are DX11 benchmarks which the GTX 260 does not support, so automatically there will be a FPS boost from running in DX9 only mode, generally anywhere in the region of 10-25% depending on the game engine.

I'd be very surprised if the GTX wasn't able to knock out a pretty decent framerate on High settings in DX9 mode.

I was able to pull about 40-45 FPS out of Crysis 2 on 'very high' (not ultra) DX9 settings with very similar card to yours (HD4870), and I'd be expecting broadly the same for this.

Although I am now seriously considering a HD7850 as FC3 comes bundled with it and I'd buying it anyway right? :).

It really is time to start thinking about an upgrade when the vendor lumps your card into its legacy driver bundle :(

thanks for that marco,I'll chance it pc so ;)

Class vid showing 24 hours time laps in 90 seconds to show off day/night cycle and weather system.

And this vid settles it, day one purchase for me now.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    And this vid settles it, day one purchase for me now.

lol at 4:19

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Is there spoilers in the vid ?

Advertisement