Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coveney

• 10-06-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

For me verdict is out on Coveney as new Minister for Agriculture. It has to be said that there is no easy portfolio, but in these times the Agriculture post has to have been the best one to get. I just feel that he likes to be rehearsed for debates and is very poor at discussing or debating off the cuff. On a personal note I am disappointed with his treatment of farmers in SAC's, which has been highlighted in the journal more than once in the latest issue. What are other peoples opinions on our Agriculture Minister?

Minister Coveneys performance satisfied or dissatisfied? 10 votes

Satisfied
    0% 0 votes
    Dissatified
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

anyone would look good as minister for agriculture in the present climate , personally speaking , ive always found simon coveny to be the definition of gormless , tim nice but dim springs to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

He has a portfolio which he himself calims has the potential to develop and expand greatly and be a major catalist to getting us out of this recesssion. Yet, to the public eye, he appears to be sitting back, going with the flow - happy to be there, but not having a clue what to do now that he is there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

irishh_bob wrote: »
    anyone would look good as minister for agriculture in the present climate , personally speaking , ive always found simon coveny to be the definition of gormless , tim nice but dim springs to mind

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

reilig wrote: »
    He has a portfolio which he himself calims has the potential to develop and expand greatly and be a major catalist to getting us out of this recesssion. Yet, to the public eye, he appears to be sitting back, going with the flow - happy to be there, but not having a clue what to do now that he is there!!

Exactly my perception of him, there is a small little speech on his webpage after being elected in Cork South Central, and it plays very well, but it is completely rehearsed, anytime I have heard him interviewed since I find myself cringing and find him quite difficult to listen to because he doesn't appear to be informed. I was optimistic when he first got the role and would have been a prescriber to the thought that he was a good public rep with a decent agenda, but he just seems to be enjoying his role rather than working in it. His announcements seem to come from under the cover of darkness, he seems to be avoiding the media as best he can, why? if he has the most desirable portfolio, he shouldn't be afraid to make a go of it, I still hold out hope that he will grow into the role, just hope he grows a pair of goolies and stands up the plate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon he does be on here

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon he does be on here
    is he lost covey:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Well, if he does read here..... yeah right.... Get back to work Minister :P

What would ye like him to do? Rather than just criticize, offer up suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

johngalway wrote: »
    Well, if he does read here..... yeah right.... Get back to work Minister :P

What would ye like him to do? Rather than just criticize, offer up suggestions.
    Sort out the supermarkets,
    Get us a good deal on the CAP,
    for a start

set out a proper protocol for inspections that farmers are not living in fear of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

LostCovey is Simon Coveney.:eek:

It's all starting to make sense now...

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    LostCovey is Simon Coveney.:eek:

It's all starting to make sense now...
    yup!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

whelan1 wrote: »
    yup!:)

W1, your online obsession with me is troubling but it is so familiar that it feels normal and reassuring in a weird way. You remind me of a certain country & western song ("how can I miss you if you won't go away").

I am OK with your obsessive stalking of me, as long as it stays harmless, you know, like Sleepless in Seattle, only with Holsteins.

No bunny-boiling, please. The Aga would be destroyed and Mrs Lost (sadly for you there is one) would get very tense.

Goodnight dahling.

LostCoveney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

whelan1 wrote: »
    set out a proper protocol for inspections that farmers are not living in fear of them

Problem with that one is that farmers are part of the food industry and manufacturing and retail have unannounced inspections all the time from various government agencies and customer bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sort out the supermarkets,Get us a good deal on the CAP,
    for a start

Never happen unless the competition authoriaty decide to raid them all at once and we know they can't get one raid right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I shook Coveneys, hand once. Soft as Mary Harneys bottom. What would the likes of him know about farming?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Happy enough with him so far. A bit disappointed with AEOS and the lack of an increase for SACs but im not affected so a bit meh. I would have liked a bit more done or at least a timetable on what is happening and when it can be expected.

But he is barely there for 100 days folks and there are one or two other issues in the general economy that are complicating a clear run. hopefully by years end we will have a greater feel for his capabilities.

So come on Lost Covey and get the finger out. We are watching you:p

that ignore function is a great invention- thanks boards:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Tora Bora wrote: »
    I shook Coveneys, hand once. Soft as Mary Harneys bottom. What would the likes of him know about farming?:eek:
    i want to know what were you doing feeling mary's ass :eek:

leg wax wrote: »
    :D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Waxing it maybe?:eek::eek: jeez the thought of that......this thread is descending fast

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

leg wax wrote: »

I never said anything about Mary's donkey.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys less of the rhetoric please.

Also- if you don't have something to contribute to this (or any other thread)- be it either positive or negative- please stop derailing threads. If you want to have a general chit-chat- there is the chitchat thread- if not- there is always 'After Hours' and some other for on this website for bouncing around.

Regards,

Shane

Advertisement