Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Insurance.....

Options
  • 10-06-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick one for a debate on mobile phone insurance. I'm not sure if the mods should move it into the O2 forum, but it could be open to a debate on how other insurance policies from other networks operate.

Basically, I bought a sim free HTC Desire S from adverts and now I'm trying to take off my old phone from my insurance and put the new one on.

Should be simple......

However, O2 - via their customer services rep - will not do this as the phone was not bought with them and it is not a "approved handset" The link below is the "reason" why.

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/help/article.php?aid=8204#Any mobile phones

Quote - that are unable to be registered and approved with O2 Ireland Limited.

But O2 sell this phone! It is an approved handset. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't be able to use it in the first place! By registering the imei number any mobile phone company / insurance company would know if the phone was lost or stolen.

I'm running down my contract with O2 and was wondering that when I port over to another network with my current phone - possibly a 30 day contract, can you get mobile phone insurance from them?

In essence, If you bought a phone outside of your contract, lets say an iPhone from Apple or from a seller on eBay / Adverts / Buy and Sell etc, will your mobile phone company cover you?

Thanks

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Consider yourself lucky that they won't cover it, mobile phone insurance is a complete rip-off. The salesman in the shop gets commission for selling it to you, O2 gets a slice of the action and the insurance company underwriting the policy makes a profit. There are simply too many snouts in the trough, same as with extended warranties on electrical goods.

If you try to claim from the policy there are suddenly exclusion clauses they they never warned you about, like the one that says that if you lose the phone in a public place (which includes the back seat of a taxi on a Saturday night or having it stolen in a bar or nightclub), they will not cover you.

Save your money and cancel the insurance, it's crap value for money.

Advertisement