Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say Hello to my new friend!

Options
  • 10-06-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭

Folks ,
    Meet the much discussed will he /wont he get it? Remington R25

The DEAR rifle! Excuse the lousy pics.Camera phone!:(
    Finally collected it yesterday,about 13 months late and after two DC court apperances and an unnecessary last one,as my CS decided an amendment should be treated as a NEW application..That only cost another 1500 in legal fees and fukactin,which my JC put a stop to very quickly at the DC court door two weeks ago today!! Despite Insp Brookes "expert opinion" again that this is an assault rifle.The Cheif finally saw sense,and conceeded.:cool:.
    So to call it a day this little escapade over two years to keep my 9mm and this rifle and one semi auto shotgun has cost the bones of 3GRAND!!:mad: Not to mind stress,greif,blood sweat and tears to me and mine personally,but if somone doesnt stand and draw a line in the sand of their personal lives,and wont fight for somthing of value.Can you say you stood for anything in your life?? IT WAS WELL WORTH EVERY LAST CENT TO US!!
    Again thanks to all who were involved..You know who you are;)

Esp Tim Landers in Tralee,who had the patience of Job to see this project thru from start to finish..Most would have run away from the hassle of it.

And for those out there who were saying he'll never get it or had insider info about this...Read it and weep!!
    If anyone wants a recommendation for an exellent legal team and expert witnesses...PM me.
    So my war is now over...For the time being no doubt...:pac:

As time progresses,I'll post up how and how well,or not this shoots on the range and on the hill, I know somone here is well looking forward to helping me zero this in;).

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

well done, but FCOL will you get a better phone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

When can I get a shot:rolleyes:?

Seriously though, congratulations and thanks for your time and effort.

It's trailblazers like you that help set things straight for the rest.

I hope you set a precedent. At least you have given them food for thought.

Ridiculous that you should have to spend even a euro, but in the end, well worth it.

I pity the foxes!

Well wear!

Review please...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thanks guys.
    As soon as the camera is charged up,there will be better pics..I hope!:o

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Very nice rifle indeed,Grizzly.
    And fair play to you going trough the hassle of gettin it!!
    Love that camo pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

what caliber is it?

• Advertisement

I love the thread title, very Al Pacino ;)

what caliber is it?

wager €200 it's .243 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

HELLO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Well done. Can't wait to hear your review and see more pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Congrats!

I had a feelings from your thread looking for .243 ammo that you won the battle! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

3 grand on getting a license, i think you should have spent some of that money on a better camera phone:D
    Cracking looking gun and best of luck with it and fair f##ks for going through all the hassle to stand up against the licensing system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Nice one G-man and wear well.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Excellent to see you pull this off, its nice to remind the powers that be, that we are free citizens of a constitutional republic, with redress via the courts!

Here in California , I'm a member of the Calguns foundation.
    We provide legal representation to those we feel have had their firearms rights/privileges messed with.
    Would be nice to see such an entity in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Grats and all that but better pictures PLEASE!

It's kinda like that Jessica Alba shower scene, so much is hinted, not enough seen :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The struggle to get it will make the fun all the sweeter , not my cuppa but enjoy it grizzly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Congrats. Nice piece of kit. My case up for mention in DC next Monday (again) so know what a pain in the h**e it all is and how sweet it must feel to finally get it all sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Well ware Grizzly ;)

Thanks Guys..Really appreciate the kind words..:D
    Anyways,as the camera is now charged ,and YES my camera phone is a total POS[Well the phone is 9 years old too!] I'have better pics for you here.

Ok just a little bit of first impressions of it.
    It is a total AR system.If you have shot an AR rifle before in any configuration it will be no bother for you to operate.Everything is where it is and has been for generations on the AR/M16 rifle. Just to get this out of the way NO !! This cannot be converted easily if at all to select fire.By that I mean slapping in FA parts[if there were such a thing in .243 first off] into it. It is a semi auto hunting/target rifle only!! It strips as well, an AR does.So nothing new there.
    Compared to other AR 's I've handled ,it feels muzzle heavy.But nothing upsettingly so.I'll put that down to the havier barrel with it's 1in 10 Chrome moly specs.Maybe that is a bit more common on the AR 10 system which this is based on than the AR15??Anyway a moot point.

The big circular hand gaurd is actually nice and grippy,if you have big mitts that is..I 'll let you know how it manages when wet,but the rifle does have a sort of very fine "grit" feel to it too.Which I like.It is aluminium and totally free floats from the barrel,so you can rest it on somthing and shoot without worrying about the shot going wild.
    However it is aluminium..and it has a distinctive "ting" sound off it,even if you hit a finger nail off the gaurd.So be careful of noise there if out stalking,I'd say a sling buckle might be noiser tapping off the handgaurd.Also one day an underslung picitinny rail might go amiss for mounting a fore grip or a bi pod.Sling stud is mounted sensibly on the tube and does away with the old problem of the GI M16 of being actually pulled out of zero by the slings acting on the barrel via the handgaurds.
    Upper and lower tolerances are tight.Havent got a feeler gauge to hand but if a A4 sheet of paper doesnt go in there.It's a tight fit.Maybe not to Oberland standards,or SIG,but good enough for Govt work,and I've seen some sloppy ARs that still fire with decent upper/lower gaps.:P

Stock
    Std AR15 buttstock,one size fits all type.It even still has the trap door for the cleaning kit[or lead counterweight].Kind of a nice feature ,even for storing your paperwork,etc? Bit short for me, but nothing I cant live with at the moment.
    Sights
    It is a totally as issued sightless rifle!! You put what you want on them!!
    So for the moment I've stuck a copy of a Aim point 40 quid sight on it.Never used one of these sights,and rather than spending mega bucks on one at the moment,I decided to try a copy just to see what their look and feel is on a shotgun or rifle.Have to say,it is intresting for close work and nice to be able to use both eyes open.Bad points is,that the dot is lost if you are shooting in bright light at a bright target.If it holds together until I can aquire a decent scope or genuine Aimpoint,Ill be happy.
    Certainly in the future,a set of flip up front and rear iron sights are on the cards too.Always good to have back up iron sights on your gun.

Controls.
    As said before,AR system,As a leftie,a ambidex saftey selector and mag eject will be installed as bobs allow.

Mag
    Made by DPMS..Possibly also some internals as well.Lots of folks say they are POS parts.Well so long as they dont break,I'll be happy enough too.
    Ejection is very strong,.It literally spits mags away from the gun.
    Nothing much else to say on them,parkerised and seem well enough made,a couple more would be nice.

Finish
    Well,either you like cammod guns in Mossy Oak,or you dont...:)
    They certainly let you know its Mossy Oak,as they have it written in at least three places on the gun.It's ...diffferent to say the least,and at least I cant be accused of having an evill black assault rifle!:P
    By and large it is well finished,cant make out wether it is a transfer,iron on type pattern or what.It seems very durable,but time will tell on that.
    Some people who have reviewed this gun,moan that the serial numbers and lettering isnt proud of the pattern[IE clearly readable.]..I dont really care I know what it is,the deer or paper targets dont care,and if anyone wants to know ..just ask!!:pac: The metallic parts are a grey/black anodised milspec finish and are dull,which is good,there is no bluing to wreck or worry about.Its a working /hunting gun,not a bespoke handmade rifle,so the finish is fine by me.

The transport box.
    Just thought I'd put this one in as well.Its intresting to see the cut outs around the rifle.It's as if Remington thought ,"hey! there will be people who will customise this rifle,so lets see if we can make the storage box hold all these different configurations!"It's almost if they are saying.."You Reallly need to add stuff to this rifle to make it even cooler than it already is.."Its a good market ploy and a nice thought by Remington to the owner.Trouble is,it isnt a pelibox!!Its a lightweight duty storage guncase with a very weak plastic hinge and clasps.Really nice for storage while travelling to and from a range.Wouldnt survive ten minutes of airline travel.:eek:

Manual &paperwork.
    Remington do a good manual,with the obligatory warnings on saftey and safe usage nice and clear when needed.The pics of parts are nice clear black and white,and the manual is easily understood by anyone with a primary school education.They even give you the SPORT drill for failure to fire[common AR design problem betimes]

Slap the mag to make sure it is seated,
    Pull the charging lever rearward.
    Observe the ejection port for a shell being thrown clear,o rfor loaded magazine.
    Return magazine [hopefully loaded!:rolleyes:] to gun and operate charging handle.
    Tap the forward bolt carrier assist button to seat the bolt carrier correctly.

Conclusion.
    Ok first impressions is this is a nice rifle that has civillianised a by now 45plus year old design,and is becoming a venerable oldie as well.But is upgraded once inawhile.Seems well put together,and has dispensed with one AR feature of dubious use,around here certainly.The Winter trigger feature.Havent got a snap cap or balance to give you idea of trigger weight so that will be on the range test somtime in the future.

Litle bit muzzle heavy,and a possibly noisy aluminium fore grip,and a couple of picitinny rails on the foregrip wouldnt go amiss either.Not to mind somone wake up final quality control on Monday morning.One of the rear buttstock screw bolts was chewed up a bit on its slot face.Nothing that a few secs of stoning and light filing wont sort out,but just sloppy on a new rifle.But seeing we are talking Remington,not Rigby,it is a minor point...

All in all,well happy with it and looking forward to long years with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

droooll....:p bet you go through all that crap again for that baby :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

fair play grizzly- who said tenacity doesn't pay? - shame you had to be/do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Well may she fire, best of luck with it Griz and many years enjoyable shooting with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

were the powers that be trying to claim it could be made full auto?did getting it in 243 help out with that?id imagine if you got it in 223 they would have used the "its a militry round" to try stop you getting it.

To answer you Bazza ,Yes!Our good and knowledgeable friend Insp Brookes was adamant it is an" assault rifle",and unfortunatly he wasnt there at the court, [my three independant expert winesses were there though]...but was and had been giving the CS the story since day one that it is.. or that it was not fit for purpose...A look at the Remington website would have dismissed such silly ideas from anyones head.:)

And yes..I have talked to one chap well known in the shooting community,who was refused an AR platform,as it was argued that exact point that a" few parts" would convert one of the AR15 platforms instantly into a fire breathing ,million rounds a second rifle!!

Where one might aquire such parts which are strictly controlled in the US,not to mind over in Europe,if available in the first place,or what parts exactly was never mentioned..:(
    Dont think it made any difference about the calibre..

It is the classic "Idoanlikedelookodat" with the addition of "deguide lines tellmeso..now!":P

im glad it worked out for you grizzly,iv held one in my hands a few times now and they are a lovely rifle not as heavy as it looks,and is nice to put into your shoulder

did you apply for a moderator for it?:D

Was toying with the idea..But Nah...Not yet!!:D In time...in time.:cool:I dont want to drive my poor ol CS to drink or into the home for the bewilderd.

Compared to some civvie or military semi rifles it isnt bad at all.It does feel abit ,and is abit heaftier than the R15 platform or even the originalAR15 rifle. But then again it has to be to be able to handle .308 and in between cals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Grizzly,
    Have you a stapler?

If I were you, I would staple a copy of the court proceedings inside the travel case.

What are the chances of any Garda ever coming across one of these in Eire? If you ever have to show the rifle, I would almost imagine the Gardai would confiscate it as a matter of principle.

I can imagine the conversation:

Gardai - Are you telling me that you are the only one in the country allowed this rifle.

Grizzly - Yes!

Get those papers!

FISMA,
    Trouble is..There are NO recorded protocolls of the district courts here.Except in very rare cases.And there wasnt any in this.2nd case was sorted outside the court,so nothing there.There are of course the court orders,but I dout they would fit in the case,nor would the Gaurd be intrested in reading them either..:eek:
    But point taken...;)

Fact is I simply need the liscense with my PULSE number on it,the Gaurd can simply radio it into his base and they look it up on the computor. Thats all the proof I need that this is a legallly owned firearm in the state,which any Gaurd will, and must recognise as ligit.Otherwise the Gaurd is acting well above his authorithy.Which wouldnt be a good thing..
    Dont worry ,there are a good few other semis around the ROI,not alot,and hopefully there will be a few more,so it isnt that unusual..

Was thinking more of our crappy one page A4 deer liscenses,that fall to bits after 48hours in the field.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

congrat's :) another step forward

Advertisement