Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say Hello to my new friend!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Well done. Enjoy every shot out of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

well done, lovely bit of kit. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 semi-auto

Lovely rifle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Be one hell of a Deact,and proably easier to liscense too..:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Maybe we should have a mod delete my post, and where its quoted, I don't want it to be seen as instructional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Nice rifle Griz, best of luck to you with it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Best of luck with it Griz, its a shame there is so much hassle with fullbore semi-autos!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 samthe man

Just wondering have you given that fine piece of equipment a field test yet, would love a reveiw of it. Also was it imported sepeciallly for you or is there a sports shop in Ireland that has one on the shelf?

Not yet,am saving up for a scope and mounts that will be 1/2 way decent..;) Wont be a S&B unfortunatly,but some day.:(
    Special import due to the calibre.BUT the .223 versions ARE in a good few gunshops around the land.:) If they can get .223 ,they can get .243..If you can get the liscense.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Well wear Grizzly! I have found the hornady 95 grainer sst's to be among the best when I had a .243. What twist is she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

Grizzly you dont mean you havnt fired that rifle yet do you!after waiting all that time it wouldnt be out of my hand!

Tis a 1/10 20 in chomoly.With what Remington calls "fluting":rolleyes:
    More like 6 light grooves cut into about 10ins of barrel.Why not just leave it solid then? Not like its saving any weight either.Could do with a bit of weight loss too, for an AR system at eight and a half pounds its a big boned one.:p Somtime in the future a nice JP free float tube with a long picitinny rail and a couple of smaller ones will be in order.Wont be too much of a problem then to put a set of Magtech flip up BUS on it,as they are only rail mountable.

Thinking a 3/9x50 or 3/12x50 scope with illuminated mildot reticle.
    Anyone opinion on such or used one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Tis a 1/10 20 in chomoly.With what Remington calls "fluting":rolleyes:
    More like 6 light grooves cut into about 10ins of barrel.Why not just leave it solid then? Not like its saving any weight either.Could do with a bit of weight loss too, for an AR system at eight and a half pounds its a big boned one.:p Somtime in the future a nice JP free float tube with a long picitinny rail and a couple of smaller ones will be in order.Wont be too much of a problem then to put a set of Magtech flip up BUS on it,as they are only rail mountable.

Thinking a 3/9x50 or 3/12x50 scope with illuminated mildot reticle.
    Anyone opinion on such or used one??

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=444

There can only be one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Thread revival.
    Much shooting time with it since you have it grizz? Would love to hear how your getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

lovely piece of kit,best of luck and congrats,pity about all the grief,there seems to be grief with just about everything these days.

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Thread revival.
    Much shooting time with it since you have it grizz? Would love to hear how your getting on with it.

Well happy with it.:D
    Its accounted for two stags sofar this year.Both taken with hornady 95 grain V max.First was a running shot at 80 meters,which was my 1st Irish Sika.Tough little critters,he ran another 30 meters up hill with a smashed femur and no heart or lungs worth mentioning.:eek:
    Second was a runty injured red at 100 meters.He walked all of ten paces and dropped dead with a heart shot.
    Nothing much else has happened in my patch since end of Sept.
    Not for want of trying on my part either,I think I have a bunch of "rut tourists" on my shoot.They show up for the rut and in the closed season and sod off when its all over or the season opens .:)

Put a Richter optics [Bushnel knockoff] in 3/9x40 illuminated on it and a harris bipod.
    Only thing it IMO could do with is some weight loss.There is no real need for an aluminium handgaurd,where a carbon fibre would do the job just as well.
    The aluminium hand gaurd "TINGS" nicely if a sling swivel hits off it.
    Another that has to go on and by now should be de reguir on any of the AR rifles is an ambidexterous saftey.SAFE and FIRE marks could be a lot bolder too,they dont show up well in the Realtree cammo print. But if you know the AR system it isnt a biggie,but hard to see on the single saftey lever without feeling for the selector on the left side.Lever tag down FIRE.Lever pointing towards the barrel SAFE.
    On that its trigger is still abit stiff,which maybe needs some more fine polishing or work time.
    All in all I've had none of the issues with it that all the other internet hunters and target shooters have with it.:rolleyes:

Accruacy is quantative I belive in hunting.If you can hit the heart or whatever part of the animal that will kill it instantly at a sane and distance you are sure of a clean kill.Do you need to be shooting sub MOA groups???
    Its not a target rifle,but then it was never meant to be one either.If you want a target rifle,go and buy a target upper and slap it on in 20 secs or less.:pac:
    Ammo issues,well,not exactly a plethora of 243 selections out there is there??
    All in all its a not anymore, modern military rifle design that has been civillianised for the hunting market.Same as any bolt action was at the turn of the last century.:)
    Get one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Would you stay with the 243 if you had to do it all over again, or go witha 308?

Proably,possibly might Hibrion.Wouldnt be too big a deal methinks to aquire a 308 upper and reliscense such on the same rifle serial number.
    Only reason I went with the 243 was at the time there was much discussion of the banning of military calibres here.yes I know 308 and 223 isnt military,but when have facts ever influenced politicans ,beuracrats or Gardai when it comes to firearms here??

I guess you're right, Grizzly. All you need now is a 223 upper, and a 22lr upper and you'll be sorted. Sure get a master key while you're at it and you'll have a real all in one ;)

I'd imagine it looks better on paper to have it in a non "military" calibre... for now.

I'd love a 6.5 grendal, but I don't have the time or cash to fight for a semi :(

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

On that its trigger is still abit stiff,which maybe needs some more fine polishing or work time.

Careful with polishing - AR trigger components are often just surface hardened. You could always get a drop-in replacement. Would standard AR-15 trigger fit your rifle? After the trouble you went to to get the thing, you might as well take advantage of it's unique features :)

I put the Timney 4lb trigger in mine. It was expensive, but oh my god...what a trigger.

• Advertisement

Hibrion wrote: »
    I guess you're right, Grizzly. All you need now is a 223 upper, and a 22lr upper and you'll be sorted. Sure get a master key while you're at it and you'll have a real all in one ;)

I'd imagine it looks better on paper to have it in a non "military" calibre... for now.

I'd love a 6.5 grendal, but I don't have the time or cash to fight for a semi :(

.223 uppers wont fit on it .The Ar10 lowers [on which this is based] wont accept the .223 uppers as the tolerances are not compatible.If you want anything in the .22 calibres upwards you need the AR15 lower reciver.Anything above that you are into the AR10 range of things.It's all dictated by the cartridge size actually.There are a lot of small bore cartridges wthat will fit the AR15 mag and upper,less so for the AR10 in308.
    6.5 grendel is nice ,if and when,reloading comes here.It is a pretty rare enough round .
    Buying and fighting...Yeah,thats really up to each of us.Somtimes you have to decide where your line in the sand is so to speak and cutting your cloth to your means in these times.:(
    But I'll do it again if I have to.

@firefly,it shouldnt be a biggie.Brownells have listing for them in Remington DPMS and Olly Arms .I'd say 50% is Ar15 parts compatible.
    Thanks for the heads up on the trigger mech:cool:.Am going to work with it until seasons end,then see what the story is.Was reading in AR15.com,that you need to use a different part of your finger too to get a nice consistent pull.Rather than the tip use the pad pf your trigger finger.Tried it on dry firing,seems to be an answer.:pac:

Thanks, Grizz. You learn something new everyday. I just forked out for my 30-30 and Beretta 87, so it will be a while before I buy anything else. You never know, some time in the future I might take the plunge and apply for one. I have missed my 223 a lot.... ;)

hey grizzly,just wondering about the way you went to court and that to get that rifle,when your license runs out in 3years could the guards try and not issue the license again??or does the court decision mean they have to issue it?

From what I understand Bazza is the liscense with any firearm now is a re APPLICATION,not a RENEWAL.So yes that means anyone of us could be doing this again.Wether it is a SBBL shotgun or an AR15 rifle
    If they want to go there.I'll be only too happy to see them there again.:rolleyes:

However,it is going to look a bit difficult to say I've no good reason to own such when the last time it was a court order to grant the FACS.What will have changed in 3 years to say I've no good reason??Or its unsuitable for the job of deer hunting /goat culling.Think I've proved thas patently untrue.

Hopefully it wont come to this and common sense might prevail,but I'm never optimistic when the words "firearms","in Ireland" and "common sense"are in one sentence.:(

i think the same way grizzly,i just have a feeling that there will be alot of lads going through this a second time.hope im wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    If they want to go there.I'll be only too happy to see them there again..:(

I'll be with you if "they want to go there".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Drooool.........

Very nice rifle and fair play for your effort, worth €3k in fees?........ Oh yes! If I only had the cash myself I would certainly go down the same route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Nice one!! Head to Norway for some really fun IPSC rifle compeitions :)

Working on it Packas.Would love to try my hand at the Nordic challange.
    Just would like to know now what is the whole IPSC status with the ROI and the liscensing and qualifications,since it was banned here:(.
    Anyone PM me on this situation??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

packas wrote: »
    Nice one!! Head to Norway for some really fun IPSC rifle compeitions :)

Good idea,i just got a good reason for gettin one too:D:D:D
    IPSC is great fun

Advertisement