Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes in island bridge

• 10-06-2011 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

My friend has had foxes in his garden for a couple of weeks now and is worried about them.

A lot of people in the apartment complex feed them, so I can't see them going anywhere anytime soon

He assumes they came from the Phoenix park and wants to know if it's safe enough to have them essentially living around the apartment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I live in the area also and we have foxes in the complex garden however as far as I'm aware only one family feed the fox.
    To be honest as somebody who is well used to seeing foxes in my parents garden in the country I think it's fantastic to see them playing in the gardens although perhaps the residents should ease off on the feeding!

You should also post this video and post on the nature forum. It's just a fantastic sight to see them all playing :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=406

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

There will be no problem at all having them there and in fact they might keep away vermin such as Rats and mice so may be of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

They'll steal all your chickens!
    Wait urban foxes? :-D
    I saw a fox in Trinity one night, and a family of 3 in Mount Merrion one morning, agile little fellas.
    Feed 'em some scraps rather than chucking it in the bin (no chicken bones though).
    They're nice to watch, keep down vermin and the urban and suburban populations will be able to spread back out to the rural areas after the farmers shoot theirs and then get overrun with poison resistant rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just saw a few foxes today near Ringsend, they were dodging traffic like it was a game to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Unless you have spring lambs or geese/hens in the apartment complex, then no harm. :)

They'll go after the mice and rats.
    They'll also go after your large wheelie bins so hopefully they're locked in sheds or in an underground car park

Eventually though the population will get too high but traffic accidents along Conyngham Road will play a factor. Foolhardy with traffic and you'll see a lot get knocked down

• Advertisement
Advertisement