Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running shoes?

• 10-06-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Completely new to running...only just started and was having some pain in my shin area so decided I'd better get a more decent set of trainers. my old ones were nike and about 10 yrs old!
    So I got Asics and they felt great. Very comforable, walked on treadmill for the first day and then took them on the road running the second day. That was on Weds and by the time I got back I was in agony. the insides of my knees..both knees were so sore I could hardly walk down the stairs yesterday and was able to do no exercise at all yesterday. Today there are still quite sore and i probably will not be able to do any this evening either:(.

My question is when you change footwear is there a warming in period like this? or am I in trouble?
    Bear in mind I am new to running before you tell me all the things I have done wrong:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How did you choose the runners? did you pick them out from a shop display? What kind of shoes are they?

You should get yourself down to a proper running shop, and get yourself properly fitted (preferably with some kind of gait analysis). The runners you bought may not be suitable for your particular gait (posture/style of running).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I went to Lifestyle and told them what I needed. the checked the arch and I have a high arch and they said these ones are perfect for me and the level of running I will be doing.
    They are Asics Gel 1160.
    I did not know anything about gait analysis until I started reading here this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

ppink wrote: »
    I went to Lifestyle and told them what I needed. the checked the arch and I have a high arch and they said these ones are perfect for me and the level of running I will be doing.
    They are Asics Gel 1160.
    I did not know anything about gait analysis until I started reading here this morning.

From what you say there, I think the shoes they advised are wrong. I would bow to the more knowledgeable here, but I don't think high arch tends towards the 1160, as that has motion control, more suited to a pronator style.

Check this site out to get an idea what I mean, but still best to get yourself to a store that does proper gait analysis and advise on the best runner to suit you.
    http://www.foothealthcare.com/shop/what_foot_type_are_you_1

Also note that increasing your mileage too quickly can also cause injury problems. If you say where are you based, someone could recommend a good store to get the analysis done.

I am in South Tipp/Waterford area. I see there is a place in Carrick on suir that does Gait analysis. Anyone know what they are like?

I was not really increasing my milage. I had only just started last week and was walking 100m running 100m for about 25mins. I felt it every day but nothing like this. It felt like I had exercised but this feels like I have hurt myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

They are Asics Gel 1160.

Go back to lifestyle, tell them the pair they recommended are not suitable. You are entitled to a refund or replacement.
    See http://www.consumerassociation.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

They are Asics Gel 1160.
    I have gel 1160's and they're for normal to slightly over pronators.Im open to correction here but dont people with high arches under pronate? If thats the case,you were given the wrong advice and shoes:eek:
    I think Alfie Hales do gait analysis.And on your sore knees,i feel your pain.Im new to running also,started the c210k programme,into week 3 and the knees are giving me jip.Im hoping that its just the case of getting used to the whole running thing and that it'll pass like all my other aches and pains.

Thanks JC. I should update! Lifestyle were excellent and took the shoes back no issue. I am still in agony with my legs and on meds for that now over a week on and cannot stand up for long and definately no running or walking. Not sure how long this is going to last for, I thought a week would see me right but obviously not.:(

anyway once I am pain free I will start again and get the proper shoes this time. I will ask Alfie Hales and see about the gait analysis, probably not much point in me doing that now as I am not able to walk properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

but this feels like I have hurt myself.
    Thanks JC. I should update! Lifestyle were excellent and took the shoes back no issue. I am still in agony with my legs and on meds for that now over a week on and cannot stand up for long and definately no running or walking. Not sure how long this is going to last for, I thought a week would see me right but obviously not.:(

ppink... not giving medical advice or anything here but honestly the fact that a week on you are in agony would say to me that you may have hurt yourself. Have you seen anyone about this ? A physio might be able to give you a better indication of what is going on.

Don't lose heart with the running... all in good time and best to start again injury free.

I did LB. I had to see my GP, who has me on painkillers and anti-inflams- and told me to dump the shoes:o. i was thinking about the physio too. If I have no big improvement over the weekend I will have to see a physio.

to be honest I just cant believe I am in this state after a short run. I would not mind except my lungs had just gotton to the point where they were not feeling like I had wrenched them from my body:D and now they will have to start again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

I wonder about the number of people who start running and go into the likes of Lifestyle/Champion/Elverys and pick something off the shelves or are maybe 'advised' to go4 a certain shoe...then pick up an injury and quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

airscotty wrote: »
    I wonder about the number of people who start running and go into the likes of Lifestyle/Champion/Elverys and pick something off the shelves or are maybe 'advised' to go4 a certain shoe...then pick up an injury and quit.
    In fairness,i dont think the majority of new runners realise how technical its become.Im one of them,but im an inquisitive git and have to know the ins and outs of everything so i did the wet test before i got shoes so had a fair idea of what i should have been advised to wear.

not sure what exact advise you are giving here?
    dunno where you are getting the quitting from either:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

not sure what exact advise you are giving here?
    Sorry I'm just blabbing! Best follow the expert advice and take a bit of time off and then make a steady return. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I would have thought that running properly would be much more important than getting the perfect runners.

Make sure your landing mid foot and not on your heel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 siooo88

I wouldn't put Elverys in the same bracket as Champion and Lifestyle...certain Elverys stores conduct gait analysis instore in order to recommend the correct running shoe for the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I would put Elverys in the same bracket as there is no consitancy across the stores.
    Whats the point in providing a service if you don't keep it at a high level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 siooo88

fair point...

but I still don't think the level of service given in Lifestyle/Champion is of the same level as Elverys. I have been into Lifestyle and Champion before and for the most part it appears most of the staff have no idea about the difference between the various running shoes that they stock, a small range at that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Bit harsh putting Elverys in same bracket as Lifestyle from what i can see spend more money on doing up their shops than investing in staff and Champion don't stock a sufficent range.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

elvery's have a sale on lunar glides at the mo

Advertisement