Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to decide between the Graduate Medical Courses

Options
  • 10-06-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

So I have just graduated with a 2.1 and have a fairly high GAMSAT score, which I feel could allow me to choose between the medicine courses on offer. Rather than simply putting down the colleges in order of highest GAMSAT requirements I'm trying to decide more on the actual courses and how they would suit me.

The trouble is, I can't really deduce from the websites the differences between the courses. From talking to someone in UCD I found out that people with certain degrees can be exempt from certain modules and that their summer breaks are much longer than other colleges. I also heard that the classes in UL are considerably bigger and there is no dissection/pro section available. Another thing I heard is that the RCSI degree is recognised more overseas than the other college degrees.

Does anyone have any advice/experience on what to look for and what is good and bad about the courses on offer?

Much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

RCSI = hybrid GEP course with PBL and 100% lectures
    UCD = 100% lectures with some PBL
    UCC = hybrid leaning more towards PBL
    UL = PBL with small amount of lectures

All good schools, that people come from all over the world and pay top money to attend.

By 100% lectures I mean that all material examined is delivered in lectures

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Location is another thing to consider.
    1st & 2nd year UCD, UL, UCC are all based on campus whereas RCSI is off campus.

3rd & 4th year will be similar everywhere from what I've heard.

Advertisement