Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Final Notice

Options
  • 10-06-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi Guys a little help please,

In January i lost my job so i decided to cancel some direct debts i.e o2, car insurance etc just until i got myself back on track as was a bit cash strapped at this time. I sent a letter to o2 explaining my situation asked them to cancel contract + asked them to send me a letter explaining what happens next. I had not heard from o2 until yesterday when i got a final notice letter telling me i owe them €130 and that they would start legal proceeding's if i did'nt pay. I am still unemployed well apart from working 1 night a week in a bar and getting social welfare so i dnt have this money straight away.
    1: any advice on how i can resolve this?
    2: how far will these debt collectors go?
    3: what would happen if i didnt pay?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If they've sent you the letter then get in contact with them and work out a payment plan if they'll agree. They wont go to court for 130 as it wouldn't be cost effective but they may sell the debt to a debt collector who will hassle you for payment .at the very least.

You might have been better contacting them as soon as you lost your job. Some of the networks have plans for people in difficulty where they'll freeze your contract until you're back on your feet (for a short time anyway) and then will give you an emergency plan for around 5 euro a month were all calls are charged for. Once you're back up and running the contract would resume.

Always approach these companies before they come to you. You may find they're more understanding then you think. But ignoring them will not help. Same goes for banks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Good advice above - you should have contacted them and agreed an approach BEFORE cancelling the direct debits.

They may be open to paying off smaller amounts over a longer time. Contact them and see - I'm sure you are not the first person to have this issue. However, they might also think this is too much hassle for them and sell the debt off. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

the letter is from a debt collecting company in limerick, what does that mean and what are these guys going to do?
    does it mean they own the debt now and not o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

It's difficult to know. Either O2 are using them to collect the debt or they've sold the debt to that company. Contact O2 today and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

Ye just read the letter they collecting on behalf of o2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you can arrange to pay it off in weekly payments or they'll accept an amount of it to write off the remainder but you wont be able to keep the number. instead of writing letters why dont you just ring them? its free for gods sake you could have rang them when you first lost your job and they would have moved you down to the lowest tariff they have which is specifically for unemployed/newly redundant people. you could have still kept the number and paid small amounts on an agreed term.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyhans

krudler wrote: »
    you can arrange to pay it off in weekly payments or they'll accept an amount of it to write off the remainder but you wont be able to keep the number. instead of writing letters why dont you just ring them? its free for gods sake you could have rang them when you first lost your job and they would have moved you down to the lowest tariff they have which is specifically for unemployed/newly redundant people. you could have still kept the number and paid small amounts on an agreed term.

DO NOT lecture this person. You dont know what kind of situation they are in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement