Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam summer sale

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope I won't, only have money for the first one! :)

Have you never played Deus Ex?!

That and STALKER are highlights today, but once again stuff I already own. Civ 5 price is a bit of a farce, was hoping for like half of that. Oh well, we can only hope the final day kicks arse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have, never finished it though and never owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Wings of prey any good? Haven't played a flight sim in years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well it's easily the best FPS / RPG hybrid knocking around. And the menu theme music is great.

I love the fact that the game actually adapts to your actions in a convincing manner. I remember a second play through where there was a character who became a serious bastard later on. I casually shot him at an early point in the game, and it saved serious headaches while the narrative actively removed him from the story :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep it's up there with System Shock 2. Really loved how every level could be approached differently. Can't wait to sit down with it and finish it now that my thesis is nearly done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well it's easily the best FPS / RPG hybrid knocking around. And the menu theme music is great.

I love the fact that the game actually adapts to your actions in a convincing manner. I remember a second play through where there was a character who became a serious bastard later on. I casually shot him at an early point in the game, and it saved serious headaches while the narrative actively removed him from the story :)

Are you talking about Deus Ex or Stalker?

Are you talking about Deus Ex or Stalker?

Deus Ex, although STALKER is a close second :) Alas my PC was a bit too weak and the game a bit too buggy to get the most out of it when I played STALKER at release!

Oh, any STALKER fans should check out the film of the same name, it's one of cinema's all time greats. Never read the book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I got Stalker at release and only got through afew hours of it. Liked what they were going for with the atmosphere but I found it ridiculously hard, and im sure i was playing on normal. I remember being up in the top level of some old factory and this guy would come up the steps, enter the room and kill me. No matter what way I attempted it (including being prone in the corner with the gun fixed on the doorway, he kept killing me!) I lost the rag with it and uninstalled. I loved Fallout 3 and Metro 2033 despite its flaws, would it be worth my time going back to this. (The money is obviously not an issue now!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stalker is pretty unforgiving at the start, you just get thrown into the world with no explanation or help. Once you start picking up decent weapons, and armour the experience really picks up..

make sure to download the complete mod, it's a complete graphic overhaul, new weather elements, improves the ai, damage, weapons,.. just improves everything about the game massively

Never read the book though.

You should rectify that. Roadside Picnic is, in hackneyed literature parlance, a tour de force.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

went for the deus ex double pack

had the games from somewhat shady sources and never played them, so i decided it was only right to buy them

stalker is pretty unforgiving at the start, you just get thrown into the world with no explanation or help. Once you start picking up decent weapons, and armour the experience really picks up..

make sure to download the complete mod, it's a complete graphic overhaul, new weather elements, improves the ai, damage, weapons,.. just improves everything about the game massively

Is it installable with a Steam version of the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

CoD 4 €12.49
    God I need to stop. But I just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Might give it a try so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

CoD 4 €12.49
    God I need to stop. But I just can't.

Whats the deal with map packs for CoD4 on Steam? I couldn't find any.

Once you get a scoped weapon Stalker gets a whole lot better.

Is it installable with a Steam version of the game?

yepyepyep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

Talked me into stalker too.
    http://store.steampowered.com/sale/stalker_2011_Franchisesale
    Any reason not to get all 3?

none whatsoever

i havent played clear sky, but i've heard it's the weakest of the 3. pripyat (imo) didn't have the same atmospheric feel to it as chernobyl but it was still a very solid game, and there are complete mods for all 3 games which you should install as soon as you get the games. They just improve everything about all 3 games.

there are different complete mods for each of the 3 games, and they're straightforward to install. just download, hit install. done.

what you could do is start up chernobyl and run around for 10-20 minutes, then install the complete mod just to get a feel for how much of an improvement it is.. graphically at least.

==edit

just bought clear sky \o/ \o/ \o/

wont be able to play it until next week though :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Got civ 5 - goodbye life :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Have you never played Deus Ex?!

That and STALKER are highlights today, but once again stuff I already own. Civ 5 price is a bit of a farce, was hoping for like half of that. Oh well, we can only hope the final day kicks arse.

The final day will be a recap, it always is. I was hoping Civ V would be cheaper as well but, there's always the Christmas sale. Besides, it's a Steamworks game so can be bought at retail and activated on Steam.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

grizzly wrote: »
    Whats the deal with map packs for CoD4 on Steam? I couldn't find any.

There is no map packs for COD4 on PC. It was all free ;) All included in the download

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's not bad at all. The campaigns lack a bit of continuity, but the flight model is pretty good (I'm not a hardcore sim head though), graphics are excellent and all round it's just good fun.

If you're a hardcore sim-er, it's supposed to be not as deep as IL-2, but still 8.5/10. For that kind of price, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat if you like flight games.

Oh, just saw that the two Penny Arcade games are on sale for less than two euro.

Yoink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I bought Civ 5 just over a week ago at full price.

I didnt know about Steam sales. I didnt know...

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Some quality games on sale. Anyone who doesn't own S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Deus Ex
    A) Shame on you!
    B) Buy them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Im new to this steam sale thingy.

Can i assume they will provide the extra time to actually play all the games bought? ;)

Stalker, Monkey Island, Deus Ex & Penny arcade games bought today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

for anyone who cant get SWKOTOR running on W7:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620666

works like a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got it in the last sale............... never played it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Anyone played AI War before? Picked it plus the expansions for 3 quid.

Advertisement