Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor to trigger small elctronic device

• 10-06-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

I have a pair of blinking eyes, they are plastic comic eyes that blink together. I find them a bit noise so only want them to trigger when somebody walks by them. Any ideas on where I can get a sensor to do this and maybe how to wire it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Nobody any ideas on how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Presume it's battery operated yeah?

Maplin have this sensor : http://www.maplin.co.uk/motion-detector-kit-219998

Needs a 12v powersupply which costs an extra tenner if you don't have one already to fit it, and as for wiring I don't know, I imagine it's fairly straightforward though, wire this thing in between the battery on your device and the on off/switch or something like that (says it's the NC COM NO connectors there at the side. Maplin in fairness to them seem to be fairly good anytime I've been to them, bring the yoke in with you and they'll probably tell you what you need and how to wire it (if you live near a maplin of course!) Failing that I'd just chance spending the few quid on it and mess about with it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Nobody any ideas on how to do this?

What controls the eyes blinking? Do they just continuously blink once the power is applied?

You could just use a PIR sensor, similar to that used for alarm systems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So is there a simple on off switch? And once they are turned on they go constantly? If so a PiR and a relay with N/O wired across the switch would do it.

Advertisement