Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent Internet outages with UPC

• 10-06-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi
    I have had intermittent Broadband problems with UPC broadband over the last year. The problem seems to be that my house is at the end of the cable run resulting in a weak signal. They have replaced all the equipment but each time the come out they tell that the signal level is still low.
    They always promise to look into it but never seem to as each time a technician comes to the house they always comment that the signal level is low. I get the impression that the fix is too much trouble for them, as it means replacing a lot of cable.
    I have rang them on loads of occasions sent faxes and registered letters of complaint but still no joy.
    My question is has any one had similar problems, how was it resolved. I do not want to move to Eircom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭lee4892

Send them a dated and signed letter, clearly marked at the top with your full name, address and contact details. Inform them if the matter is not sorted out immediately (give them a set date by which you want it sorted i.e within two weeks) you'll be taking them to Small claims court as they are not providing the service you signed up for. You're well within you're rights to do this should the matter not be addressed within a timely fashion.

That'll not only get you a speedy reply but the matter should be sorted asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theprisoner

Have sent letter via registered post thanks for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭lee4892

No bother. One more piece of advice is to keep absolutely every piece of correspondence to and from them. It will help you should the problem be processed by Small Claims and will also help you to get them to help you faster if you can quote back to them from their own words used. And always tell the truth! This will be in your favour should you have to go to Small claims.

If you need help, I've had some successful cases processed through Small Claims and know the tricks of the trade by now hehe:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You can only go to the small claims court if you are not getting a service you paid for. If you aren't getting a service from them and they won't give you money for all the outages you've had then you can go to court. Unfortunately you can't sue them if they can't provide a service at your house to begin with.

Are you in a cable area that's had the upgrade work done by UPC over the past two years?? You can check here if UPC are planning work for your area over this year: http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png

The blue and yellow bits signify where they'll be doing a lot of cable replacement work, though I've also seen them replacing cable in areas marked as white which are near the blue-marked areas.

Advertisement