Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths O Paper 1 Aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Thank the Lord I'm not doing maths this year by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

What was with the Q1 (c) part ? It asked for decimal to 1 but i kept getting 5 as my answer :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 breatnach18

im so screwd.................does any 1 no what courses dont have maths requirements??i want to do cumaráid in NUIG or else irish and new media in UL

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vDarr

Hardest paper for a long time in my opinion.

Q1 - Was Grand
    Q2 - Was Grand
    Q3 - Think I forgot to do B (ii) :mad:
    Q4 - All OK, but C (ii) is likely wrong.
    Q7 - was Grand
    Q8 - Couldn't remember how to do part (iv) and (v) :confused:

Was expecting to do a lot better after near full marks in the mocks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vDarr

Iceboy wrote: »
    What was with the Q1 (c) part ? It asked for decimal to 1 but i kept getting 5 as my answer :confused:

Think I got 5.3? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Same, I knew it had to be 5 because of how 57 relates to 70.

I was able to answer everything except the question about the line with a parallel slope, so here's hoping I'll get the B3 I need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aaron547

Yes i ****ed up on ordinary level maths paper 1 so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Are you counting it?

No point going around with the attitude that you'll repeat. Keep the head up and do your best for the rest of your exams.

P.S I am a repeat and know the feeling,no point looking back at papers gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 _red_6_

Yeah I got 5% as well, I did it loads of times :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Am I the only one who thought it was a great paper? I realise the questions were a bit different to previous years but I found them much easier and I'm not even that good at maths, only got a C in the mocks.
    Went in just hoping to pass but I flew through the paper, I done all 7 questions that my class studied. I found 6 part C and 8 part iv and v a bit tricky but gave them a good go. Reall think I could get an A if paper 2 goes as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

It was a good paper. The peope that wanted to scrape the pass it was there for them, it provideded a challenge though for the top students. Q1 was very good. Q2,3 very good, q4, grand except Cii, no diff from 1st prin dissapointing the weak students could have been depending on it. It was ok, I'd hope p2 is better though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

I felt exactly the same about the first paper last year. There's still hope you can save yourself with the second paper if you really think it's that bad.

I got a C, so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

You can still do arts and law in UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mahon93

You left it way too late to drop down!
    People underestimate the pass maths course, it takes a lot of practice and time as does any maths course. January of LC year is usually the aboslute latest you should drop.
    I thought the paper was fair, challenging but interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pre Judas

I think the formula was The Error/The True Value:

So 3/57 = 5.263

Round off the 5.3

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

More than happy to emigrate with ya haha. I failed honours maths and have no intention of repeating!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

I will be extremely annoyed if the project Maths paper was easier. Because that is not fair.

It wasn't easier for most of us anyway, people were in floods of tears coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Pre Judas wrote: »

So 3/57 = 5.263

Round off the 5.3

I did this too! Be glad we don't do honours, that thread is in meltdown!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Just out of the exam there about 20 mins ago. Very nice paper overall I thought!

Struggled a bit with the differentiation but thats my weakest topic so I'm not fussed :P

I did Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q7

How did you find it?

Exact same as everything you just said lol
    I found 4 c part ii impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Pre Judas wrote: »

So 3/57 = 5.263

Round off the 5.3

I am an idiot. I put 3/60 :rolleyes: Fecks sake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

At first I found it hard, but I stayed in there and went over it, and got answers for nearly everything, so I hope I hit the B3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Q1 part c confused me as well but in the end I put it over 57. Percentage errors always catch me out, I'm not sure if I got it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Same, I knew it had to be 5 because of how 57 relates to 70.

Is percentage error not calculated by putting the error (3 in this case) over the true value (57) and then multiply by a 100, that gives you 5.263... Hence the one decimal place thing. I could be wrong but that's the way I learned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

i am going to jail:eek::eek::eek::eek:

because i raped that paper one:D .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

Aoifums wrote: »
    A little weird overall.
    Q1 was grand. Aoife and Brian. I almost laughed out loud as those are mine and my brother's names. Very nice overall.

Q2 was boring, did fine.

Q3 was fantastic. I loved part c. It was tricky but in the good way. I really enjoyed working it out :D

Q4 was mixed. I've never spent more than 12 minutes on a complex numbers question before but c (ii) was hard.

Q6 WTF?? I've never not been able to do a part b before! I feel so thick for not getting it. And I just couldn't remember how to do c.

Q7 was perfect! I was a but disappointed that differentiation from first principles that didn't come up. That's always a nice 20 marks in the bag.

Q8 was the nicest I've ever done. I've struggled with Q8s in the past but this one was a piece of cake!

I walked out after an hour an a half.

I thought exactly the same! I got about 4 hours of sleep last night cramming for geography, so my brain wasn't working to its best potential for maths. Had to do a few things a couple of times to work them out. It took me so long and two pages of workings to spot the stupid modulus lines on the complex numbers question! I felt like such an idiot.

My explanation for the ball or whatever it was slowing down at a constant rate was a bit strange but hopefully they'll accept it.

Did anyone find Q5 c(ii) strange? I couldn't get a proper answer for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Aoifums wrote: »
    I know :( I'm just glad I did seven questions. I'd hate to be banking on that question.

Same here, thankfully the others were easy enough so I had the time!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

That paper was a load of dung to tell the truth.

Out of all the past papers it was without a doubt the hardest. I'm so raging about it for people who need OL maths!!

They're obviously trying to make "project maths" seem sooooooo much better by giving us a SH1T hard paper.

EFF YOU DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aaron547

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Are you counting it?

No point going around with the attitude that you'll repeat. Keep the head up and do your best for the rest of your exams.

P.S I am a repeat and know the feeling,no point looking back at papers gone by.

well i am going to fail maths i bet you anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

lads what was the answer to question one the final part? how many minutes would it actually take him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

That paper was seriously hard. Alot of people in my school thought so.

Advertisement