Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths O Paper 1 Aftermath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vDarr

bradleyboy wrote: »
    lads what was the answer to question one the final part? how many minutes would it actually take him?

Think it was 4 hours 12 minutes? or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

I did PM paper and it seems like they changed the Calculus to suit our exam more than the normal one. I've never seen a diagram come up ever before on the paper like it did in Q8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

vDarr wrote: »

really? **** i think i got 257 minutes? how did ya get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

It was awful....algebra questions were awful could not do them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pre Judas

lads what was the answer to question one the final part? how many minutes would it actually take him?

NB Comparing answers is always a bad idea...

I got 253 mins. Hopefully it's right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Thought it was a pretty reasonable people...A few curve balls alright. Like the last bit of complex numbers! Ended up with some ridiculous decimals there.

But hey, re-assure yourselves. Be thankful that you're not doing higher level because from the seems of it it was disasterous! I must say, dropping to ordinary was one of the best decisions I made in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I did Q 2, 3 , 4, 6, 7, 8

I did mainly the a's and b parts. The Q2 b part was really confusing. with the find the solution set of....? then list the elements.
    An the solve the x and y part that was awful I hadn't a clue how to solve it . I only did a and b in complex numbers. Q6 didn't know what to do with the periodic functions. Then the b part I differentiated the numbers with the product rule an the other with the quodient . The 7c part was confusing a hard one. Q8 weren't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That paper was a load of dung to tell the truth.

Out of all the past papers it was without a doubt the hardest. I'm so raging about it for people who need OL maths!!

They're obviously trying to make "project maths" seem sooooooo much better by giving us a SH1T hard paper.

EFF YOU DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION :mad:

The project maths paper was VERY difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ellie23

I got 4 hours 12 mins too :)

It was a weird paper but could have been alot worse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

Yep, I got 4 hours 13 minutes if I remember correctly. I got the distance with speed=distance/time and then used that formula again to put in his actual speed, and got the correct time, I think? My mind is frazzled at the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

4 hours 13 I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Few dodgey questions in there alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Ordinary level was hard as F**k. There was questions on the paper we never did in class (all be it i have a bad teacher)
    I am hoping paper 2 is easier cause i dont want to be worried all summer wondering if i passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

I think I got something like this too.

I multiplied 80km/h by 94.8% percentage error

I then divided the answer i got into the distance he's travelling 80km x 4 =320km...

Ended up with ~4h12m

Figures are what I can remember may not be exactly correct.

i thought q5 and q7 were unbelievable! Q2,3,4 were tricky but i reckon i got 40/50 in them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

C__ wrote: »
    Ordinary level was hard as F**k. There was questions on the paper we never did in class (all be it i have a bad teacher)
    I am hoping paper 2 is easier cause i dont want to be worried all summer wondering if i passed.

Exactly how I feel, really hope paper 2 goes better

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

I had a bad feeling it would be harder. Basically for the sake of making Project Maths look easier (since it's compulsory from next year).

Wondering what Paper 2 will be like...

For the last part of the Complex Numbers, I can't remember t, but did k=7?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

the extra was something like .22 of an hour so you put that over 100 and multiplied it by 60 to turn it into minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

It was way harder than I thought it would be! I'm raging I made a very stupid mistake in the complex numbers question. :(

Hopefully Paper 2 will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

C__ wrote: »
    That paper was seriously hard. Alot of people in my school thought so.

my year thought it was too..oh my god it was the worst paper ever i thought!! i got an a2 in my mocks. im certainly not going to get it now.. im really pee'd off about it.. it was such a bad paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Aaron547 wrote: »
    well i am going to fail maths i bet you anything

Seriously, it's bad when you're gone to the stage of betting that you'll fail. Get off boards,study your ass off for paper two and don't think about repeating until the offers come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

When will the marking schemes be up or is there anyone going to share all their answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

xaoifsx wrote: »
    my year thought it was too..oh my god it was the worst paper ever i thought!! i got an a2 in my mocks. im certainly not going to get it now.. im really pee'd off about it.. it was such a bad paper

I only got 42% in the mocks :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

bit hard,but i found algebra easier than diffrentiation q! strange thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

You can still pull up your grade with paper 2, I think it's a much nicer paper, go over Q6 & Q7. Two very easy questions to get full marks on if you get your head around them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Tricky aul paper alright

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Didnt like the paper either.. no first principles :/ was counting on them for a handy 20 marks. If i passed that paper then it was just by the skin of my teeth.. just gonna concentrate on paper 2 now and hope for the best.

will they ask standard deviation on monday? hope not its ****ing confusing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Q 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8. Did an extra question to keep it safe!

Hard paper I thought.

Advertisement