Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths O Paper 1 Aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

amortentia wrote: »
    Yep, I got 4 hours 13 minutes if I remember correctly. I got the distance with speed=distance/time and then used that formula again to put in his actual speed, and got the correct time, I think? My mind is frazzled at the moment though.

Got 4 hours 13 mins aswell and done it via the same method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The Shtig wrote: »
    the extra was something like .22 of an hour so you put that over 100 and multiplied it by 60 to turn it into minutes.
    Yeah, I got the 4.22 as well. Would .22 be a fifth of a minute, so 4h 12m?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I though it was shite... no first principles :( I attempted all of the questions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I answered every question, but the bits I thought were harder than normal were:

Q2 (c)(iii)

Q3 (c)(i)

Q4 (c)(i) and (ii).. Part (ii) was so difficult.. I didn't get an answer.

Q5 (c)(ii)

Q6 (b)(ii) and (c) (i) (ii)

Q7 (c) (iii)

Q8 (v)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

They will have to give us free marks in that paper 1, otherwise most of people will fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

madmax92 wrote: »
    They will have to give us free marks in that paper 1, otherwise most of people will fail.

No they won't fail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Lovely paper. Attempted all bar question 5, question 6 was a bit of a fail though but it was my extra question so all good. Thought the c part on question 8, 4 and 7 were a bit challenging but hopefully Il get some attepmt marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fred09

thought it was very fair,a few tough questions but a few easy ones to make up for it.
    question 3 was tough while i thought question 2 and sequences and series were quite easy.hoping paper 2 is the same and might sneak an A!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Nervous for paper 2 I spent a week in school practising linear programming , . I failed maths in my mocks too I really hope I pass I need a c3 in some places. Gonna spend the whole weekend studying maths . Did everyone pass there mocks? most people in my class failed theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jj123

chiloutus wrote: »
    Am I really the only one who found the ordinary maths paper incredibly difficult?
    I dropped down from higher maths about 2 weeks ago and have been getting 85% average easily! But this paper was unlike any others I've seen! (Everyone who has dropped down in my school found it unfair too btw) I was looking for a high B or an A. I'll be lucky to get a B2 i reckon :mad:

Does anyone agree?

I thought it was a bit strange alright..some of the questions were a bit different to how they have appeared all the other years..and that last part of sequence and series..i dunno what that was about! I ended up attempting all 8 questions just to try and get as many marks as possible because even in the questions that were easy enough, there were hard parts that I couldnt work out! At least you got out of honours before today..people were almost crying after it!

• Advertisement

Keen2win wrote: »
    No they won't fail...
    Sh*t it's ordinary ;D

Q1: Think it was alright. I was thrown back by currency, was so focused on tax/compound interest that I didn't expect it but I think I did it right.
    "correct to one decimal place"? I got three different answers, .1, .05, and 5, but it had to be 5%. Anyway, rest of that went okay I think.

Q2: Fine, fine. For the elements I just listed the range of x values. Was that right?

Q3: Did great here.
    Q4: This was perfect. I'm almost sure I got full marks.
    Q6: Eek, dunno how to do the last bit, gave it my best shot.
    Q7: Think this was fine. Got the straight line on the graph too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 merlin13

I thought question one part c was quite hard, and Q6 and Q8!

But the sequences and series question was really nice i thought! One of the nicest iv seen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Ciano313

Don't know what people are complaining about, A1 in the bag. Easiest maths paper going.

Ciano313 wrote: »
    Don't know what people are complaining about, A1 in the bag. Easiest maths paper going.

Crap I just noticed its ORDINARY, not Higher :D Sorry guys!

Jesus, just realised I made a terrible mistake! I forgot there was a Q8. I had never done a full OL paper in an exam like that, never thought of turning over! I did a good 6 questions though, so hope to god I'm okay. I feel like crying now...

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Yeah, I got the 4.22 as well. Would .22 be a fifth of a minute, so 4h 12m?

I was full sure i had that wrong!! But thats the answer i got too.. theres hope yet lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Nervous for paper 2 I spent a week in school practising linear programming , . I failed maths in my mocks too I really hope I pass I need a c3 in some places. Gonna spend the whole weekend studying maths . Did everyone pass there mocks? most people in my class failed theirs

Most people in my class failed. I just passed 42%

How did everyone solve the 6a part? weren't really sure what to do.
    Was you supposed to differentiate with the product rule for the first bit?
    then the quotient rule for the 2nd? I only attempted the b part didn't try the others.

Cawcheen wrote: »
    I was full sure i had that wrong!! But thats the answer i got too.. theres hope yet lads!

Multiply 60 by .22, it's not 12, it's 13.2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

madmax92 wrote: »
    Crap I just noticed its ORDINARY, not Higher :D Sorry guys!

Your kind arent welcome round these parts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Sequences and series was annoying. The very last part I was sure the answer was 6, but I didn't know how to prove it with the formula.
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    Jesus, just realised I made a terrible mistake! I forgot there was a Q8. I had never done a full OL paper in an exam like that, never thought of turning over! I did a good 6 questions though, so hope to god I'm okay. I feel like crying now...

You only have to do six questions anyway, you'll be grand. :)

Keen2win wrote: »
    Multiply 60 by .22, it's not 12, it's 13.2!

Right, sound for burstin my bubble!! :p

I'm gonna study my ASS off for that Paper 2 and ensure I get nearly full marks for it. Need to scoop that B3 or else :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I'd say I just scraped a pass on this one, hoping for better in paper 2 :rolleyes:

Ha you'll lose 1 mark I'd say :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Alot of people got that! I changed it to minutes though.. like 252 minutes..will I still get the marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

i am a weak ordinary level student who was hoping for a simple pass ( D3) i failed maths in my mock and since then have been going to grinds 3 times a week. i have spend hundreds of euro getting grinds to ensure my pass . i was planning today to only attempt questions i knew were coming up ( differentiation from first principles) .i feel furious that the department decided to change the type of questions for the last year of the current maths course and i solely believe it was to make project maths look good . I wont be repeating for one because ive spent my 6th years in secondary level education .Theres not a chance i passed the paper today and will more than likely not be going to college next year . so thank you Department of Education for ruining my chances of getting into third level education but i will get back at you and the government by signing up for the dole and thaking part in the black economy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

I thought it was easy enough. I dropped from honours two months ago. Im so glad i did because i saw the honours paper and i defo would have failled. There was only one part i know i didnt get the answer to. O well. My friend did all 8 questions :eek:

• Advertisement

These notes seem useful it'll help with studying for paper 2. We can still pass , you don't need to pass both papers in order to pass. I hope paper 2 won't be as complicated.

http://www.rte.ie/exams/mathsnotes/formulas.pdf

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/gettingitright/notes/2007ordmaths2.pdf

Advertisement