Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths O Paper 1 Aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dunner :P

I dropped to ordinary after Christmas just in case the higher paper in June was horrible, judging by what i heard in my school and on here I did the right thing!

I would consider myself fairly well versed in the ord. paper by now and I though it was quite a difficult paper.
    I know most of my pass class will have struggled with it, I thought it was a bit odd in parts but manageable anyways. Was looking for an A1 but probably in line now for a B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

i am a weak ordinary level student who was hoping for a simple pass ( D3) i failed maths in my mock and since then have been going to grinds 3 times a week. i have spend hundreds of euro getting grinds to ensure my pass . i was planning today to only attempt questions i knew were coming up ( differentiation from first principles) .i feel furious that the department decided to change the type of questions for the last year of the current maths course and i solely believe it was to make project maths look good . I wont be repeating for one because ive spent my 6th years in secondary level education .Theres not a chance i passed the paper today and will more than likely not be going to college next year . so thank you Department of Education for ruining my chances of getting into third level education but i will get back at you and the government by signing up for the dole and thaking part in the black economy :mad:

O0o0o0o0oh you tell them girl.. way to go..

rock on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Ya kno' for the last part of C in the Complex Numbers question. Did anyone else get k=3.5 and t=7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dunner :P

Did anyone else get k=3.5 and t=7?

yeah i got that

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vDarr

Ya kno' for the last part of C in the Complex Numbers question. Did anyone else get k=3.5 and t=7?

Think so, I definitely got a decimal for k anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

I got 7 for one of them. Can't remember the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Cool cool...

I dropped from Higher this year but that was a terribly sticky question for Pass! I've done all the past papers and thats the worst complex no's I've seen in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

Alot of people got that! I changed it to minutes though.. like 252 minutes..will I still get the marks?

don't worry you were asked to give it to the closest minute,, anyone answered in hours would lose a mark

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

flyaway. wrote: »
    That was...weird. I just thought it was really tricky. It wasn't awful hard but I just found it confusing. Was annoyed at the first question. Spent way too much time trying to figure it out. Got there in the end but had less time for the questions I find more difficult. Overall, I'm fairly sure I managed a C which is much better than in the mocks!

weird is most definitely the word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

mty92 wrote: »
    don't worry you were asked to give it to the closest minute,, anyone answered in hours would lose a mark

Not necessarily.. to me it seems that you can give it to the correct minute with hours and minutes or just minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Not sure about that, I got something like 4hours 12.4 mins so I rounded it to 4hours 12 mins which is technically the nearest minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

:(

Repeating by the looks of it, all because of a retarded maths paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I was actually happy with that paper i suck at maths but i thought went good attempted all questions left out some parts as i had no clue how to do them but i actually finished. so if i study now for paper 2 i may actually have a chance at passing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

It raped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

If I don't get my A I'll. Be. SEETHING!!!

I did Q1,2,3,4,6,7 and 8.

Got everything right except:
    2 c iii
    4 c ii
    6 b ii
    7 c iii
    8 iii
    8 iv
    8 v

Everything else was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

i am a weak ordinary level student who was hoping for a simple pass ( D3) i failed maths in my mock and since then have been going to grinds 3 times a week. i have spend hundreds of euro getting grinds to ensure my pass . i was planning today to only attempt questions i knew were coming up ( differentiation from first principles) .i feel furious that the department decided to change the type of questions for the last year of the current maths course and i solely believe it was to make project maths look good . I wont be repeating for one because ive spent my 6th years in secondary level education .Theres not a chance i passed the paper today and will more than likely not be going to college next year . so thank you Department of Education for ruining my chances of getting into third level education but i will get back at you and the government by signing up for the dole and thaking part in the black economy :mad:

I'm sorry that it didn't go well for you.
    But we've learned the hard way over the last couple of years that you can't bank on anything to come up. Take Boland for English last year. And they didn't change the a or b parts of most questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

I did Qs 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8,

All were fairly ok but 6 and 8 were Horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

i am a weak ordinary level student who was hoping for a simple pass ( D3) i failed maths in my mock and since then have been going to grinds 3 times a week. i have spend hundreds of euro getting grinds to ensure my pass .

If you tried your hardest and use this time wisely to study then you'll pass ,
    All I ever do in Maths is barely pass , and that's all I'm looking to do this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

amortentia wrote: »
    I thought exactly the same! I got about 4 hours of sleep last night cramming for geography, so my brain wasn't working to its best potential for maths. Had to do a few things a couple of times to work them out. It took me so long and two pages of workings to spot the stupid modulus lines on the complex numbers question! I felt like such an idiot.

My explanation for the ball or whatever it was slowing down at a constant rate was a bit strange but hopefully they'll accept it.

Did anyone find Q5 c(ii) strange? I couldn't get a proper answer for it.

Ohh I figured out Q5 c at the very last minute. So (i)h=3 (ii) using the formula Tn=ar(n-1)=486. a=2 , r=3 and just rearrange :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

:mad::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I need a D3 to get into my course and after that paper i definatly didnt pass at all :( :mad: it was soo hard, i attempted everything hoping ill scrap by on attempt marks, absolutely dreading paper 2 :(
    F**k you department!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

Gercakeage wrote: »
    :mad::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I need a D3 to get into my course and after that paper i definatly didnt pass at all :( :mad: it was soo hard, i attempted everything hoping ill scrap by on attempt marks, absolutely dreading paper 2 :(
    F**k you department!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You said you attempted everything which is good! They'll give you marks even if you just write down a formula. Don't worry too much! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

chiloutus wrote: »
    Am I really the only one who found the ordinary maths paper incredibly difficult?
    I dropped down from higher maths about 2 weeks ago and have been getting 85% average easily! But this paper was unlike any others I've seen! (Everyone who has dropped down in my school found it unfair too btw) I was looking for a high B or an A. I'll be lucky to get a B2 i reckon :mad:

Does anyone agree?

I can agree. This paper was difficult !!! it wasnt the same as in recent years ..... I hope I will do better on paper 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

megumiwinS wrote: »
    Ohh I figured out Q5 c at the very last minute. So (i)h=3 (ii) using the formula Tn=ar(n-1)=486. a=2 , r=3 and just rearrange :D

Ughh I had worked out h but I got stuck trying to figure out something with indices?! Oh well, that was one of the two things I know for sure I got wrong. There are probably a good few other mistakes in my paper though.

If you did Q8, how did you prove that the curve has no turning points please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Loved this paper :) I'm generally very good at maths, but, can never perform in an exam situation in it. For once, I think I did really, really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BragainMark888

I thought it went pretty well. Loved question 7, I think those differrentiation questions are handy marks XD
    dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I agree.

I really wanted some first principals to come up.

The stuff that I was sure would come up, didn't. :(

My teacher said that she didn't think it would come up and it didn't, didn't learn it anyway lol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Questions 1 to 4 were very easy. However I wasnt able to do some of questions 6,7 and 8. Fairly confident I got a good b though.

No your incorrect. Can't remeber the answer, but if it was 3 hours and 45.27 mins, 3 hours and 45 mins would obviously be correct to the nearest minute

megumiwinS wrote: »

You have to differentiate it again to get the acceleration, can't remember think it worked out at like -3m/s/s which proves that the ball was slowing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You have to differentiate it again to get the acceleration, can't remember think it worked out at like -3m/s/s which proves that the ball was slowing down.
    I proved the ball was slowing down using a graph, but yeah, that's right, I got a negative value too.
    Edit: I'm thinking of the last part of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    I had a bad feeling it would be harder. Basically for the sake of making Project Maths look easier (since it's compulsory from next year).

Wondering what Paper 2 will be like...

For the last part of the Complex Numbers, I can't remember t, but did k=7?

I got t=6 and k=7 if I remember correct! D:

Advertisement