Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths O Paper 1 Aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I got something alone those lines too. You cancel out the root 2 right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Cydoniac wrote: »

Yeah well thats what I did! Thank flip someone else did ;)

lisabisa wrote: »
    Yeah well thats what I did! Thank flip someone else did ;)
    Yeah, I remember I started the question and it looked horrible, but as soon as the root 2 was gone it seemed simple enough :)

Yeah, I remember I started the question and it looked horrible, but as soon as the root 2 was gone it seemed simple enough :)

Same, thats when I guessed I was on the right track. Was just going for an attempt ha:) Hopefully full marks in that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

The way i see it, it was manageable.. It certainly took me awhile to crack some but in the end i got most of the questions right (i think). I'd love to see how many of the people on here complaining left after an hour like was the case in my centre.. I tell you, things starting clicking with 20 mins left for me, I'm delighted I stayed in.. People seem so desperate to get out of the hall and complain about how hard it is rather than staying in there and trying to work it out(at least for the sake of attempt marks). Remember this for Paper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yamahaman

for anyone doing higher level maths.... in question 7c in paper one what did ye get? the second part it just asked which diagram was correct and why for f(x) and g(x)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

I proved the ball was slowing down using a graph, but yeah, that's right, I got a negative value too.
    Edit: I'm thinking of the last part of the question.

Oops, I thought it was more complicated than that! I always differentiate the equation twice when I begin, my teacher just always did it. So to prove that it was slowing down at a constant rate I calculated the speed for 5 seconds 6 seconds and 7 seconds and it was always a multiple of the 4m/s/s deceleration if I remember correctly. It was the only thing I could think of doing on the spare of the moment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rosewaterstone

wtf was with this paper?!never seen anything like it before! and im need a c3 to get my course,dont think thats gonna happen now,im so ANGRY. i've been doin well in maths all year and of course now i do bad :'(

wtf was with this paper?!never seen anything like it before! and im need a c3 to get my course,dont think thats gonna happen now,im so ANGRY. i've been doin well in maths all year and of course now i do bad :'(

Don't worry that happened to me last year with paper 1, and you can bring it up with paper 2 once you attempted everything! I ended up getting a C1 even though I thought I'd failed, they usually will look for marks when you attempt everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I hope paper 2 is easier , I failed my mocks and really need to pass this . Question 3 and 7a were complicated , an question 2 was all over the place didn't understand it, never seen a question 2 like that. Last year also got a hard paper, maybe they've started making it harder now. I thought they'd make it easier this year

• Advertisement

amortentia wrote: »
    Oops, I thought it was more complicated than that! I always differentiate the equation twice when I begin, my teacher just always did it. So to prove that it was slowing down at a constant rate I calculated the speed for 5 seconds 6 seconds and 7 seconds and it was always a multiple of the 4m/s/s deceleration if I remember correctly. It was the only thing I could think of doing on the spare of the moment :rolleyes:
    Oh that's what I did. I used the values of t 1-5 and it went down in 4's right until 2 to -2. I just put that on a graph to show it, but if you showed the values, that's perfect too I think. I just wanted to visually show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I just thought it was a really weird paper :/ Usually the papers are pretty repetitive but this paper had stuff that I had just never seen before.

Hoping for an A1 but looking back I'd be lucky to get a B!
    I totally neglected studying for it though so its my own fault really :P
    Did all qs so hopefully I will have done ok in 6 of them.
    Hopefully paper 2 will be more predictable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

I defo failed it and don't get me started on paper 2 i cant do any of it the one complaining about the departement of education....i agree with you 100%...dole here i come now thank you maths:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(

Just a question. You just had to divide that 260 pounds or whatever by .88 to get the 1 euro value yeah? I had never done currency until now and I guessed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭currychips

This was a COMPLETE DISASTER! !

I felt really confident going into maths, as i usually am .. But this paper was horrible ! Even worse than the Geo paper :D the questions were completely diffferent to anything iv seen before :( But hey, cant do any thing now ! :D

Does anuone have any solutions to any of the answers on Questions:
    2 3 4 6 7 8 ?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Quite a bizarre paper I must say!

Q2 - I found (b) a bit tricky in terms of the sub sets. I was very vague on them!

Q3 - All fine, except I couldn't do part (c)! I'm kicking myself over it because it was obviously a straight forward question, but I couldn't get it right. I made 4 attempts at it.:(

Q4 - Grand question, except pat (c)(ii) was a bit funny. I've never seen anything like it. I got answers for k and t, but whether they're right or not is a different thing altogether. They seemed like they could be right, but I can't remember what they were at this stage!

Q6 - (b)(ii) was awful. I made a very good attempt at it, but I think it's wrong. Hadn't a clue what they really wanted. Part (c) was particularly tricky as well.

Q7 - Loved this question! :) Straight forward, I thought.

Q8 - Completely blanked on parts (iv) and (v), but made decent attempts at them. I thought the rest of the question was grand. I love graphs. I love when they work out and you know you're gonna get your marks!:)

Overall, tricky enough paper, even though I've been getting consistent A1s all through 5th and 6th year, and got an A2 in the pre.

I didn't think it was very nice for the weaker students. Thought it was disgraceful that there was no differentiation from first principles, generally an easily attainable 20marks for everyone.

Hoping paper 2 will go well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Just a question. You just had to divide that 260 pounds or whatever by .88 to get the 1 euro value yeah? I had never done currency until now and I guessed it.

Yes, you would divide by .88 to go from £ to €
    You would multiply by .88 to go from € to £

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc3ac

Just wondering in part c of the complex no's (Q.4) was the answer to part (i) 1 + i and then using the modulus of this value(root 2) you multiply root 2 by k+5i, that's as far as i got, not even sure if its correct but made an effort at it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cannon_93

I am so angry. Nearly was crying in there and I never cry. It was an extremely hard paper. I found the a parts harder and longer than usual. I was going for an a as maths is one of my favourite subjects .... I will be lucky now to get a c I would say.

Some of the sequences and series stuff I have never seen before. The part c in differentiation was so weird and what was it with q1 part b ii ???

I will be extremely annoyed if the project Maths paper was easier. Because that is not fair.

I literally spent a good 20mins on Q5 (c), and still coudnt get it, kept getting cubic equations which never come up except for algebra :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I changed root 2 to decimal format and went ahead with it, looked like a complete mess while I was doing it and thought i'd only get attempt marks, then it came to the last devision to find the value of each and they worked out as perfect whole numbers. (6 and 7 I think)
    :D <-- was exactly my face at that moment.

• Advertisement

mc3ac wrote: »
    Just wondering in part c of the complex no's (Q.4) was the answer to part (i) 1 + i and then using the modulus of this value(root 2) you multiply root 2 by k+5i, that's as far as i got, not even sure if its correct but made an effort at it anyway.

Ya and carry on by multiplying across by root 2 to get rid of the fraction, i got t=6 and k=7. Tough question though!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hope93

Does anyone else here do Project Maths? :/ I moved school and had to take it up this year and I hate it so much.. Preferred the actual number problems of old maths to this new word bollcoks!!
    Anyway I'm sittin in OL for it and it's been a doddle all year, walked into the exam REALLY confident and BOOM I get hit by this monster of a horrible paper. Seriously was such a horrible paper, The complex numbers paper, even the higher level teacher said was WAY to difficult for pass student and honors probably would of struggled with it! I opened the 1st page and the 1st question was 'What is a Prime Number?' and I laughed so hard. Turned the page then BAM, /wrists...

Was hoping for an A in Maths to boost by point's, Now I'm going to need to A1 the paper 2 just to scrape a B2 I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

Ya kno' for the last part of C in the Complex Numbers question. Did anyone else get k=3.5 and t=7?

:eek:Really??!! I got it wrong then :(:(
    I had 2 whole numbers and t=6 I think :(:(

Did anyone get x=4.5 for the question where you sub in a to find x? I was unsure about it but I subbed it back into the equation and it worked out.

megumiwinS wrote: »
    :eek:Really??!! I got it wrong then :(:(
    I had 2 whole numbers and t=6 I think :(:(

t=6 k=7 maybe?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Did anyone get x=4.5 for the question where you sub in a to find x? I was unsure about it but I subbed it back into the equation and it worked out.

I remember getting 4.5 for x at some point during it.. Don't really know what question you're talking about though.

._. wrote: »
    I remember getting 4.5 for x at some point during it.. Don't really know what question you're talking about though.
    Just checked, it's 2 (a). Hopefully solutions will be up soon so I can get a rough indicator of how I did.
    Yep. In the EXACT same boat. Dropped down from honours a couple of weeks ago, thinking I'd definately get an A or B then I sit the exam and am like.. What the hell? I was so frustrated..... I'm so angry and it's just UGH I feel cheated!! It's different from any paper I've ever done!
    In the same situation as you two. Got 90% on a test the week before and was sure it was an easy A...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Saphira Bunansa

chiloutus wrote: »
    Am I really the only one who found the ordinary maths paper incredibly difficult?
    I dropped down from higher maths about 2 weeks ago and have been getting 85% average easily! But this paper was unlike any others I've seen! (Everyone who has dropped down in my school found it unfair too btw) I was looking for a high B or an A. I'll be lucky to get a B2 i reckon :mad:

Does anyone agree?

Yep. In the EXACT same boat. Dropped down from honours a couple of weeks ago, thinking I'd definately get an A or B then I sit the exam and am like.. What the hell? I was so frustrated..... I'm so angry and it's just UGH I feel cheated!! It's different from any paper I've ever done!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭currychips

yep :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

._. wrote: »

Yeah i got 4.5 too :D

Advertisement