Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths O Paper 1 Aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

Some parts of the C's were a bit dodgey. I calculated that im guaranteed atleast a B on P1 anyway, I'm hoping for A overall (as I dropped from honours, I feel i should but I don't know) but my P2 usualy isn't as good, but i'll work on it tomorrow :P

Yeah I thought the same too... I wanna get an A but...
    Good luck to you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

I would sincerely hate to be the teacher who has the pleasure of correcting my paper

Yeah same. Loads of scribbles on mine, especially on the first page of that (c) of the arithmetic question :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ezkimosrawk

The wording of 1(b) part two was rather odd.
    It was far from horrendous though.
    If you seen the amount of "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT" posts on Facebook about higher maths..
    Feeling pretty privileged right now.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

In Q1 c did anyone one get 4hrs 13mins for the actual time it took the driver??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Yep thats what I got!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

In Q1 c did anyone one get 4hrs 13mins for the actual time it took the driver??

I got 4 hours 12 minutes. But I swear to god I started question 1 at 27 minutes past 4 and absoloutly FLEW through it! Couldn't believe I got the entire question done in 3 minutes :P

Pretty impressed with myself even though I probably got it all wrong :P

I got 4 hours 12 minutes. But I swear to god I started question 1 at 27 minutes past 4 and absoloutly FLEW through it! Couldn't believe I got the entire question done in 3 minutes :P

Pretty impressed with myself even though I probably got it all wrong :P
    close enuf, that's a relief haha. 3 mins? jeez took me bout 30 mins ! but after that i flew!

And did anyone do Q6/7. It was the product rule...i got like 17000 as an answer...felt i did something wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Which Mathematical Genius managed to finish 4 cii ?

Yeah I got it I think? 3.5 and 7?

It wasn't that hard if you got the modulus of the answer from part i) and just worked it out algebraicly

My answers mightn't be correct but they'll only be down to a small error -3 marks

4cii - I got like 2.75 and something else...cant remember..12 or something..was fairly hard..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

<-- This one. I just put root 2 in on the calculator and converted it to decimals.. It was just normal algebra after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Not me. :( Ha. You should have seen the page after I was done attempting it... I pity the person who has to correct it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikeydublin

So i mean, after all the talk about todays paper , it being a disaster or 'im going to fail' came to terms with alot of people.
    Now i know it is only after maths paper 1 and of course maths paper 2 still has to come, and this new course coming in, but will this be the trend for years to come?
    I seen maths in this country has slipped through the ranks from being mid level in the charts and it is landsliding in recent times.
    I think people should be coming out of these exams with confidence but this is clearly not the case (certainly in honours and i seen many felt the same in ordinary)
    Are people just losing there head with stress and that? Or is this a very serious matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

flyaway. wrote: »
    Not me. :( Ha. You should have seen the page after I was done attempting it... I pity the person who has to correct it!

Ha same Then after I had 4 different answers i re wrote the question with a huge question mark beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 25 purple27

The answer to 4c (ii) was t=11 and k=3.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

._. wrote: »
    <-- This one. I just put root 2 in on the calculator and converted it to decimals.. It was just normal algebra after that.
    I found it a lot easier simply cancelling out the 2 root 2's because the modulus makes a root 2.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I found it a lot easier simply cancelling out the 2 root 2's because the modulus makes a root 2.

CRAP I multiplied across by root too so on the left hand side root 2 by root 2 gave me 2 and on the right hand side I just canceled them

Was that right?

CRAP I multiplied across by root too so on the left hand side root 2 by root 2 gave me 2 and on the right hand side I just canceled them

Was that right?
    Yeah, that was the right way to do it. :)

I dont have my paper but there was a q like -- 4 (x-y*2)
    think it was 4(2-(-3)*2)... I got 44, then scribbled it out and put down some -answer..:confused: - 28 ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Cydoniac wrote: »

Yeah, that never occurred to me at.. Stress does that to you :p

worked out in the end though so I was happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Do they give many attempt marks??? Id say I nearly got full marks on question 1 and done ok on question 2, but the other 4 questions were terrible and Im fairly sure I didnt get 1 question right after that except maybe the 'a' parts, but I attempted everything bar two part c's, could I have sneaked a pass???:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

I dont have my paper but there was a q like -- 4 (x-y*2)
    think it was 4(2-(-3)*2)... I got 44, then scribbled it out and put down some -answer..:confused: - 28 ..

YES! That's my answer too!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

I got k=7 and t=5

I got the modulus as root 2 so I'm not sure where I went wrong (If i did). I've been hearing different answers to this. If only someone would do it out from examinations.ie

megumiwinS wrote: »
    YES! That's my answer too!:p
    I hope we're right!

√2 (k + 5i) = 1/√2 (7 + (t-1)i)
    Multiply across by √2, √2 x√2 = 2 and 1/√2 x √2= 1 and you're left with:

2(k + 5i) = 1 (7 + (t-1)i)

2k + 10i = 7 + (t-1)i

Real = real and imaginary= imaginary

So
    2k = 7
    k = 3.5

10 = t-1
    t = 10 +1
    t= 11

purple27 wrote: »
    √2 (k + 5i) = 1/√2 (7 + (t-1)i)
    Multiply across by √2, √2 x√2 = 2 and 1/√2 x √2= 1 and you're left with:

2(k + 5i) = 1 (7 + (t-1)i)

2k + 10i = 7 + (t-1)i

Real = real and imaginary= imaginary

So
    2k = 7 k = 3.5

10 = t-1
    t = 10 +1
    t= 11

Looking back on it now that's what I got.. Yay :D x

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

I got 3 hrs 46 I think ;) So hopefully we're on the right track!

It's more than 4 hours.
    I think I either got 4 hours 12 mins or 4 hours 13. Can't remember.

But you don't take away the percentage error. The driver was going slower than he thought it was, so he would take longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

can't remember any answer and don't wanna look for them! just hoping i passed it!:)

apkbarry wrote: »
    It's more than 4 hours.
    I think I either got 4 hours 12 mins or 4 hours 13. Can't remember.

But you don't take away the percentage error. The driver was going slower than he thought it was, so he would take longer.

I got 4 hours 12/13 as well

I did the ENTIRE question 1 in 3/4 minutes though so needless to say it was rushed! :P

Oh, and are you supposed to do the Argand Diagrams on graph paper?
    I did :P
    And are you supposed to join the points to the origin (0,0) We always did that in honours but I can't remember now if you're supposed to in pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

I found the complex numbers c(ii) the hardest question on that topic i have ever seen!! whatever i did it just wouldn't work out right for me!! Question 3 was brilliant :)

Advertisement