Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths O Paper 1 Aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Irish Irish

Oooh, I messed up 1c. Thought the faster speed was the correct speed and the speeds presented in the questions was the displayed speed.
    Feck.:rolleyes:

5c was the only question I did not have an answer for, h kept working out as -1 no matter how many times I redid it.

Other than that was a pretty fair paper imo.

Don't worry about paper 1 anymore, it is in the past, let's all do our best for paper 2. Keep moving forward, and all that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

I got 4 hours 12/13 as well

I did the ENTIRE question 1 in 3/4 minutes though so needless to say it was rushed! :P

Oh, and are you supposed to do the Argand Diagrams on graph paper?
    I did :P
    And are you supposed to join the points to the origin (0,0) We always did that in honours but I can't remember now if you're supposed to in pass

I was on my 4th question by half... Ordinary just wasn't really a challenge tbh... I should have attempted honours in 5th year . But.... The Part C(II) of Q3 + 4?? Got me. I never seen them before. Then a part in 8, other than that I am very confident and I am hoping for the A1... Need P2 to go perfectly though :(

Yeah you NEED to the Argand Diagram on graph paper, otherwise you shouldn't bother with it, not worth the time for the few marks...
    No need to join the points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

purple27 wrote: »
    √2 (k + 5i) = 1/√2 (7 + (t-1)i)
    Multiply across by √2, √2 x√2 = 2 and 1/√2 x √2= 1 and you're left with:

2(k + 5i) = 1 (7 + (t-1)i)

2k + 10i = 7 + (t-1)i

Real = real and imaginary= imaginary

So
    2k = 7
    k = 3.5

10 = t-1
    t = 10 +1
    t= 11

:O I just cancelled out root 2 when all the other numbers had it so I then did
    real=real imaginary=imaginary.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Oooh, I messed up 1c. Thought the faster speed was the correct speed and the speeds presented in the questions was the displayed speed.
    Feck.:rolleyes:

5c was the only question I did not have an answer for, h kept working out as -1 no matter how many times I redid it.

Other than that was a pretty fair paper imo.

Don't worry about paper 1 anymore, it is in the past, let's all do our best for paper 2. Keep moving forward, and all that.:)

h=3 ...
    and so did the common difference, it was 3 also if I remember right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    :O I just cancelled out root 2 when all the other numbers had it so I then did
    real=real imaginary=imaginary.
    Exact same thing as what I did. Hope it's right or gets the bulk of the marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Exact same thing as what I did. Hope it's right or gets the bulk of the marks.

Did you get k=7 and t=5 as well?

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    Did you get k=7 and t=5 as well?
    Yeah, those numbers ring a bell. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

did all qustions apart from 5.
    1/2 did 6 after looking over the others.
    all qustions were grand for me apart from,
    4 c ii, and 8 V (just bullsh!ted with a sentace for it)

if anything I got 260/300, delighted with the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Been trawling through this for a while now looking for that comment I made saying I felt thick doing pass, just to clarify. I didn't mean that people who do pass are thick, I was just pissed at the paper and sorry if I offended anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Niall171

I found the complex numbers c(ii) the hardest question on that topic i have ever seen!! whatever i did it just wouldn't work out right for me!! Question 3 was brilliant :)

That complex numbers question was a peach! C ii) was hard but the root 2s cancel from each side leaving you with nice answers... Question 3 was simple aswell.. Question 2 was good aswell... Question 1c was the hardest on the paper.. Had my head in a spin.! Still low A or high B for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

My sister's doing the leaving this year and found the paper to be pretty tough, but she seems to have done well enough to have gotten a C at least :)

I liked that continuous function question in Q6 part a (I think), it was not hard, but the kinda thing that is important to understand if you're doing any math in college, and from what she told me, it baffled a few people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

apkbarry wrote: »
    I was on my 4th question by half... Ordinary just wasn't really a challenge tbh... I should have attempted honours in 5th year . But.... The Part C(II) of Q3 + 4?? Got me. I never seen them before. Then a part in 8, other than that I am very confident and I am hoping for the A1... Need P2 to go perfectly though :(

Yeah you NEED to the Argand Diagram on graph paper, otherwise you shouldn't bother with it, not worth the time for the few marks...
    No need to join the points :)

Same here but I did 6 questions then literally fell asleep for 50 minutes (4 hours sleep the night before cramming for geography) woke up with a fright and thought I'd give Q1 a go with 3/4 minutes to go.

Felt so bad for my HL friend sitting beside me nearly crying and me... asleep :o

I don't really mind what I get in maths, hopefully an A1 for my poor teachers sake! Didn't get everything out in Paper 1, mostly because I didn't try too hard and lost a lot of time with my nap :( I'm such a dumb ass!

Got 90% in paper 2 in the mock though so might get an A yet, ah well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

I dont have my paper but there was a q like -- 4 (x-y*2)
    think it was 4(2-(-3)*2)... I got 44, then scribbled it out and put down some -answer..:confused: - 28 ..

-28 is correct :)

This is what I did for Q4 c) i) and ii)

Don't know if it's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Just a note on the speedometer question. I really wish there were more like that in maths. Think that may be the changer between A's and B's. I like working stuff out like that and had never seen it come up so it was a nice challenge.

I too got 4 . 13 but had it as +200 and kept subtracting the 60 minutes until i was left with 13 or something.

Didn't seem too hard, didn't take much space on the paper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

I got that answer aswell but i think i just cross multiplied or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Most part As and part Bs were easy enough, tbh, aside from the one on Q6..part Cs were mostly confusing- I tried to save up time at the end to go back over them because I got them about two-thirds done but it was like time was on fecking X2 or something, (wth?) I ran out of time but got six questions about 70-80% done...overall, pretty good but I hope to get 80% in paper 2..it was weird because I got P1 done an hour early in the Mocks but ran out of time on P2...hope I don't run outta time on P2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MegaSuperDood

OMG Is that a picture from the exam LOL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

I had so many silly mistakes I've just realised.:(:(
    Hopefully only get 3 marks taken away for not getting the correct answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

yeah thats right, just realised i did it wrong, when i multiplied the two roots i didn't leave the two outside the bracket, awh well i'll prob only get a mark or 2 taken off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Judging by the paper she just did it out again, I hope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Isit true you get attempt marks on each question that you try even if they were wrong?

Yep! ;)
    Ah no I did it out there a minute ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Isit true you get attempt marks on each question that you try even if they were wrong?

They mark them weird..I got a simultaneous equation question wrong in the Mocks but got 9/10 marks for it! Because I did all the steps out and stuff...not too sure why lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 C0nn0rmcl

I done 6 questions (Not sure which ones though. Very bad memory.)
    I attempted every part in them but I think I may have slipped up in a few places.

I got my Biology teacher to go over some past exam paper with my friend and I. My math teacher is very crabbit and does everything in the most complicated way possible.
    My Biology super smart and explained everything clearly. If we didn't get here to help us we would've failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

cant remember which qst it was....i think Q.7 last part

it was about showing rate of the ball moving decreases at a constant rate...just wondering what did ye do for that?

all in all hapy enough with the paper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Holly91 wrote: »

it was about showing rate of the ball moving decreases at a constant rate...just wondering what did ye do for that?

I did out the speed for each second and showed the decrease and I stated that the differentiated speed was acceleration which was 4 (? I think)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    They mark them weird..I got a simultaneous equation question wrong in the Mocks but got 9/10 marks for it! Because I did all the steps out and stuff...not too sure why lol

The answer isnt the the most important thing in maths. Its the method. The correct answer is just a bonus at the end, a reward for not making any mistakes. If you check out the marking schemes on examinations.ie you will see where you got the 9 marks from. Usually 1 mark is deducted for a slip such as a multiplication error.

• Advertisement

Holly91 wrote: »

all in all hapy enough with the paper :)
    I drew a graph which was a straight line. That's one way of doing it. Even if you just subbed in values for t and showed it was decreasing at a steady rate that would be enough.

Advertisement