Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starcraft 2 - Third Lan thread!!

• 10-06-2011 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, great craic at the last 2 lan events, so hopefully the third will be bigger and better.

Ive set a rough date for saturday the 9th July.

How does that sound to everyone?

Right, the big question is...

where do we hold it!

We have 3 choices for a venue.

1: XGC, Dublin City.
    2: Squareeyes, Galway City.
    3: WebworkHouse, Cork City.

I know the majority of people who attended the last 2 lan's live in Dublin.

XGC:
    pro's:
    close for most people.
    close to the luas.
    been there before, so we know what to expect.
    plenty of space for people to bring their own machines.

con's:
    the machines are poor.
    internet connection was not reliable for everyone at the same time.

Squareeyes:
    pro's:
    Much better machines. (all quad core 1gb gfx, razer mice, 23" monitors, 6gb ram.)
    2 mins away from bus/train station

con's:
    Its in galway and most people live in dublin....

WebworkHouse:
    pro's:
    machines seem better than XGC but not as good as Squareyes.

con's:
    its in Cork. very long trip for some people.

So, you guys decide on where ye would like to go next!

Where should LAN 3 be held? 30 votes

XGC Dublin
    0%
    Squareyes Galway
    53%
    The_KeeperkoHdseanbmcfreepowerdeconduoUnholyGregorLightnessLaisurgsainiPacWacNighTxXDarkpadraigMicklupLawrenciuMManuvaElmidena 16 votes
    WebworkHouse Cork
    23%
    RoyalMarineXioscherryghostgodspalzoom!ColumcMurraya 7 votes
    I really dont mind, ill go anywhere!
    23%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarTazzleOrizioRavage1616brimur69himwarriorChicks 7 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

awwww

poor dubliners, having to leave the pale

you'd wanna be careful, there be dragons!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NighTxX

Squareyes Galway
    First 5 votes go to XGC ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There's a Starcraft 3?!?!?!?! I've been away too long :)

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

WebworkHouse Cork
    lol mord.. ffs..

NighT, you saw the problems with XGC yourself when you had to take over my pc for half the night :p, so you can understand my reluctance to return to that place while the machines are in a mess...

sabre, heh ill reword the title so :p

Squareyes Galway
    Yeah i know, but we dont have a choice without passing out due to the long travel times, if we lived in say Dublin, we would go to any of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

its not like you're going to be walking, you'll be sitting down on a bus or a train

Squareyes Galway
    we would be sitting down or a bus or train, for about 8 hours if it is Cork, the event will be 12 hours long therefore we would have to stay up for about, 30hours + by the time we get home. Last time it was 25 pounds for us each to get the train to Dublin, so this time it would be about 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭VikingErik

I'll probably sit this one out. Might join you online from the comfort of my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PacWac

Squareyes Galway
    I think we should just hit up NighT's garage tbh. >.>

Cork is a tad too far for us Northerners. Galway is only a four hour drive but there are six of us and we travel together. : ( I'll check trains to Galway and prices.

PacWac wrote: »
    I think we should just hit up NighT's garage tbh. >.>

Cork is a tad too far for us Northerners. Galway is only a four hour drive but there are six of us and we travel together. : ( I'll check trains to Galway and prices.

Rent a minivan?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

WebworkHouse Cork
    I'm living in Dublin and I'd make the trip to galway with the lads for a bit of craic. Come on lads it will be much better with good machines, then again I wouldn'd mind XGC either, considering we can bring our own machines now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicks

NighTxX wrote: »
    we would be sitting down or a bus or train, for about 8 hours if it is Cork, the event will be 12 hours long therefore we would have to stay up for about, 30hours + by the time we get home. Last time it was 25 pounds for us each to get the train to Dublin, so this time it would be about 50.

Sleep on the bus. Also, travel time (on a bus) is the same from Dublin - Cork and Dublin - Galway. Train is probably faster but more expensive.Takes me like 6 hours to get from where I live to Dublin, costs me like 40 quid..I sleep on the way home (if I can), if I can't sleep on the bus it's not the end of the world, I crash out when I get home..Last LAN I got 5 hours sleep that whole weekend, I'd never been so tired in my life, but I recovered just fine and much fun was had.

Anyway, my point is if it's not in Dublin you should still go ^^ Since travel time to the other potential venues is the same. It won't be so bad, I promise :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭saini

Squareyes Galway
    I haven't voted yet if I was to vote be Galway or Dublin for better specs or handiness. Cork is too much of a pain to get to for me to be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

Squareyes Galway
    I'd love to come but the 9th July doesn't suit, nor does the 16th, I'll be in Kerry. Don't cancel it on my behalf, but it'd be nice if the date changes. You never know, maybe I'll lastminute this one as well. :P
    NighTxX wrote: »

Just so you know, if you book the Enterprise (72 hours or more in advance) for certain trains, you can get a day return ticket for 10 quid. Even if you use it as a single it still works out cheaper than the normal fare. (I've been travelling up and down for years and only recently found this out myself :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Darkpadraig

Squareyes Galway
    i wouldn't mind it being in XGC
    it make it a lot easier for me to get down and it will cost less
    also there will be 5 other people coming down with me if it is in Dublin City :D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

WebworkHouse Cork
    grrr! stupid voting system. 1/3 of Irish people live in dublin. 3 real choices and 1 choice for the indecisive (who are thinking "OMG can I really say that I am indecisive? IDK.") We "cultchies" should have banded together and got it outside the pale. grr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Possibly a crazy idea, but what about other venues in Dublin? Do any other web cafés have good PCs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm all for Galway - McDonagh's ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

WebworkHouse Cork
    I'm up for going to galway.

Let's get DECENTRALISED k?

screw cork though, keep it at the waist line of ireland.

WebworkHouse Cork
    Right, squareyes in Galway have contacted me back.

They have 2 dedicated lines for BB.
    They have 40 top range pc's, fully updated with sc2 and they all play sc2 on max settings with no problem at all.
    No room for pc's but plenty of room for laptops.

However, it's 36 euro per person for 12 hours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicks

Hahahahaha

F that, I'm on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭saini

Squareyes Galway
    I wont be able to afford the one down Galway too pricey including cost of travel since I am going away the week after the lan, but if its in Dublin I should be ok.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

WebworkHouse Cork
    I'd definitely be up for it if its in Galway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Squareyes Galway
    Any idea how much it would be for the Cork one? I definitely can't afford to shell out for a train ticket + then €36 more for the LAN :P

WebworkHouse Cork
    I won't even attempt to organise it for Galway due to the price.

I'm a student on the dole and ive a kid to look after.

No word back from cork yet, so it looks like XGC is the place again.
    This time, let's get the numbers up and possibly more bring your own pc attendee's.

WebworkHouse Cork
    I won't even attempt to organise it for Galway due to the price.

I'm a student on the dole and ive a kid to look after.

No word back from cork yet, so it looks like XGC is the place again.
    This time, let's get the numbers up and possibly more bring your own pc attendee's.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

WebworkHouse Cork
    Blargh. How much is XGC?

Blargh. How much is XGC?

it was €10 each last time.

WebworkHouse Cork
    Whoa whoa whoa, €10? I can get a return bus to Dublin and get in for the ngiht for less than the €36 in Galway. :eek: Just as well I bought myself a gaming laptop yesterday, think I'll defo be down to this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Squareyes Galway
    if its in dublin i'l go
    galway and cork are a bit of a stretch though...

Whoa whoa whoa, €10? I can get a return bus to Dublin and get in for the ngiht for less than the €36 in Galway. :eek: Just as well I bought myself a gaming laptop yesterday, think I'll defo be down to this one!

Gaming laptop FTW, love mine. Just sitting here in college doing some work, then when I get super board, play some starcraft :D

WebworkHouse Cork
    yeah cherry, its €10 per person for 12 hours gaming.

byopc OR use their machines.

for a tenner, its feckin brilliant craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Squareyes Galway
    Ooooh I'm totally interested in this, never been to a LAN before and now I finally have a PC I'm not ashamed of I think that ought to change =D

I just wondered what the hours would be like for it? The 9th's not the most suitable date for me but can try to work around it =)

WebworkHouse Cork
    we usually play from 10pm to 10am.

the 9th is just a rough guide, it can easily be changed.

Squareyes Galway
    To be honest, the week before or the week after would suit me better, but if it's too difficult for others then if it comes to it I can sit it out and badger you for another LAN! I just wondered, if you do bring your own PC, do you have to bring a monitor as well, or is that provided? I assume bring with, but since I'll be driving from Wexford just checking I'm not packing more than I have to!

• Advertisement

WebworkHouse Cork
    there are 28" hdtv's available for you to connect to.

the resolution isnt HD, but its pretty good and saves you carrying the monitor with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

Squareyes Galway
    I'd love to go to this lan, I voted for XGC, because Squareyes is laughably expensive iirc, and I live in Dub :) There was a point when Cork had a few gaming cafes. anyone remember area 51?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Squareyes Galway
    Was thinking of going to this but unfortunately the date doesn't suit :( goin away on the 9th till the 16th. (the one time i actually decide to go away i'l be missing out on something as a result, typical :rolleyes:)

Squareyes Galway
    Sounds like the 2nd would be the best date then, from the dates everyone has posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

Squareyes Galway
    Would certainly suit me better... >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Haven't read the thread and obviously won't cast a vote but since we've got a pretty big influx of users to here lately I reckon Cork really isn't manageable.

Galway is the best city in Ireland, but is probably less accessible (in terms of travel costs etc) for more people than Dublin.

Dublin is easy to get and neutral for everyone. We've all also all been there before we we know where to go, what the facilities are like etc

People recognise faces now at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Haven't read the thread and obviously won't cast a vote but since we've got a pretty big influx of users to here lately I reckon Cork really isn't manageable.

Galway is the best city in Ireland, but is probably less accessible (in terms of travel costs etc) for more people than Dublin.

Dublin is easy to get and neutral for everyone. We've all also all been there before we we know where to go, what the facilities are like etc

People recognise faces now at this stage.

Yet another Dub terrified to go south of Foxrock.

Squareyes Galway
    The 2nd would be fine with me if it did get changed =D Awaiting a new PSU and then I can hammer some practice in =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Orizio wrote: »
    Yet another Dub terrified to go south of Foxrock.

LOOK AT THIS TROLL.

THIS.
    IS.
    BLASPHEMY.

afoot+dastardlydeed.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just for reference, it costs €16.40 for a return bus ticket to Galway from the good folks at Citylink, but if the café are looking for €36 a man, then no thanks. €20 maybe, then you're talking about €50 for the night (for us Dublin based folk).

If I can bring my own machine over to XGC then I'd be laughing, would be handy if I could use one of their monitors though.

WebworkHouse Cork
    plenty of room for people to bring their own machines, and they have 28" hd tv's for us to connect to. vga and hdmi cable compatible.

i think for now, we will scrub the idea of galway and go to XGC again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement