Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stay close to the Opera house?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Will be in Cork next week for 2 nights. where is the best place to stay close to the Opera house? Hopefully not too expensive.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

A quick 10min walk / 5 min taxi:

Clarion Hotel (4 Star)
    Hayfield Manor Hotel (5 Star)
    Imperial Hotel (3/4 Star)

This place is not too expensive
    http://www.windsorinncork.com/
    had a makeover recently with the help of an RTE show. Never stayed there myself but the pub is cool enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anybody ever stayed at the Victoria Hotel on the corner of Cook St. and Patrick St.

cork45 wrote: »
    Anybody ever stayed at the Victoria Hotel on the corner of Cook St. and Patrick St.

It's closed now I believe. Unless it reopened this week just gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The Vic. is closed.

Sorry, Rover got in ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

RoverJames wrote: »
    It's closed now I believe. Unless it reopened this week just gone.

It was closed but I passed the other day and it looked like it might, possibly, have reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

corked wrote: »
    A quick 10min walk / 5 min taxi:

Clarion Hotel (4 Star)
    Imperial Hotel (3/4 Star)

"Hopefully not too expensive "... probably the 3 most expensive in Cork!

My own recommendation - maybe the LV/Windsor Hotel or An Brú (both MacCurtain St) - check out tripadvisor for reviews first.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

tommy21 wrote: »
    "Hopefully not too expensive "... probably the 3 most expensive in Cork!

My own recommendation - maybe the LV/Windsor Hotel or An Brú (both MacCurtain St) - check out tripadvisor for reviews first.
    '' where is the best place to stay close to the Opera house? ''

just giving him more options - you'd be surprised with the value in the above 3 recommendations.

paulgalway wrote: »
    ..........the best place to stay close to the Opera house? Hopefully not too expensive.
    just giving him more options - you'd be surprised with the value in the above 3 recommendations.

In fairness Hayfield Manor isn't remotely close to the Opera House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Jurys Inn. 10min walk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

A couple of one night stands in the place back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If the OP doesn't mind self catering then the Cornmarket Apartments (above TK Maxx) could be ideal. I know that I saw them advertising nightly rates a while back. I'll try to find out and post up the details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

This place is about a 10 minute walk & should be reasonable enough.
    http://www.lancasterlodge.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

The Maldron is literally across the road ,could you get any closer?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

cookie75 wrote: »
    The Maldron is literally across the road ,could you get any closer?

Someone told me there is trouble getting parking there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Yup Maldron is murder for parking, their car park is tiny and the surrounding streets are packed. Should be grand though if you get a space and are happy to leave it there for however long you are down. No parking at Windsor or An Brú by the way, options I mentioned earlier. Lancaster Lodge as someone mentioned earlier is actually quite nice, that's were we put all visiting staff on short-term stays. About a ten minute walk to opera house. Alternatively there are loads of B and Bs up near University College Cork, all of who have their own driveways and parking.

edit: actually there is a 24 hr car park near the MacCurtain st. options, can check what cost is for you later if you want when I'm passing.

Advertisement