Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saffron1

Was a cruel paper indeed!! They seem to have been so hell bent on making the qustions impossible that they didnt even bother proof reading the damn thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

To anybody who felt disappointed I would advise to stop going over and over it. It happened and its gone, you still have an opportunity to improve your result via paper 2 so take a bit of a break and then get down to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

@firestarter

8 bi is wrong. 10 divided by two is 5 and then you put that to the power of a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

If that's something designed to show how wonderful Project Maths is, GRR!!

I doubt it. From what I saw in my exam centre, the HL Project Maths paper was no walk in the park either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hkeane

I dropped down to ordinary. I feel for all you higher level people, I really do.

However the **** up of paper one will not be asked on Monday. Need to focus. You all seemed like you worked hard. You can do it guys. Don't let it get you down. Paper two is still to come. Keep up the work and jsut try your best.

Someone is likely to say it's easy for me to say. I know but seriously. I feel like i dodged a bullet today having failed the mocks. Best of luck to you all. Don't let it get the best of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

jawn wrote: »
    I doubt it. From what I saw in my exam centre, the HL Project Maths paper was no walk in the park either.
    Listening to Countdown to 806 he's saying it's easier than the regular paper and most of the questions are similiar to the sample papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

jawn wrote: »

They will show preference to PM in the marking scheme. Last year people who got the wrong answer were given full marks in some question. I suspect they'll do the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Ahh! I think i see that SEC are doing here!.
    I just had a wee look at the Project maths papers and it has quite a few of the same questions even the proof!.
    I say they did this to hide their ass.But they will probably mark our paper hard and their easy and so it is doing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 firestarter197

nommm wrote: »
    @firestarter

8 bi is wrong. 10 divided by two is 5 and then you put that to the power of a half.

It's not really wrong, what you're proposing is an extra step. You can put up the 1/2 as a power or leave it as a coefficient in front if the log. It's not that big of a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Slowly but surely

In my opinion, and I got an A1 in the mocks, this was definitely one of the most challenging papers since the very first papers on the course.

The only question that probably wasn't too hard was question 5 - which I had well prepared:) Despite the fact part c was somewhat contentious, given a divisibility proof came up in '09, Its one of three questions I can say I got fully out, along with question 6 and 7.

Thankfully, I knew the substitution for question 8 c, but I hadn't revised it in a while so I got stuck at the end:mad: Other than that I thought this q was fine. Part b ii was somewhat tricky to an extent. But it has come up before and it wasn't too bad given that the last time it came up you had to divide twice.

The biggest disgrace was question 4 though. What the hell were they thinking? Anyone who relied on that was proper screwed. I couldn't even attempt the last two parts and I would have rated Series and Sequences as my STRONGEST question. So much for that! It was only a blessing I had question 5 to back me up!

Algebra - I thought I was in for an easy one when I seen the factor theorem here and I still did until I saw that revolting question 2. Like Series and Sequences, I thought I was well prepared, but that b ii was actually quite deceiving in my opinion. Not forgetting that hideous c iii part. If they had any decency the SEC would have made the TWO Algebra questions accessible to at least give the majority of people who attempted them first some confidence.

I hope they enjoyed this one cause I don't think anyone can say they truly aced this paper - never mind those only looking for a pass. I agree with most people here that they need to stop thinking about themselves and how wonderful this project maths course will look next year. They're toiling with students futures and the ironic thing is they still can't see why so many are failing. Obviously with papers like that students will you FOOLS! Its not just and one can only suspect they'll come out and defend themselves again and probably again.

Having said that, the trends stay the same every year and it means the marking scheme will just be mutated to suit us all. Well, hopefully it will. And hopefully Paper 2 will be less of a climb now on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eogriallais

that paper was a joke. 8c isnt even on the course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mihaf

the Project Maths / Higher Level is a joke , check out on examonations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cabby92

Can somebody explain this bell curve concept to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saffron1

Cabby92 wrote: »

Basically there always has to be around the same numbers of As, Bs ect. So we will get marks for very little, writing our exam number i hope!!

evry1 make sure to complain http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=co&sc=cf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 muggy

Paper 1 was excruciating.....3 in my class capable of A's and all said best dey'l get is b2's...We never did integral of a disc..Is it in the texts and tests blue book..?? Couldnt find it. Was hoping for B1 will settle for c2 nw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 owenthorp7

can someone get me some sudacream for my ass, because i just got raped by honours maths paper 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The SEC pulled a fast one on us. The project maths paper is stupidly easy in comparison to ours. Not only that but it looks as if that Q7 and Q8 was originally written for Project Maths.

Does anyone know what Paper 2 is like in project maths? I'm certain we'll be seeing the same stupid recycling of questions in Paper 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Welllll welllllll welllllllllllllllllll.....
    isnt this ironic....
    the one guy who thought english pII was sick is about the only person who loved that maths pI.
    I had to stop myself from smilin when doin most of it and nearly all of it workin out!!!
    I know i shudnt gloat and im sickened for eveyone who thinks they cuda failed but i am just so happy right now!!!:D:D:D
    So...hit me with yer jealously,envy and resentment.

oh ps: to de guy who said "its no wonder you failed" about my english...come back to me now. ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Cabby92 wrote: »

untitled-2.jpg

Not the most helpful, but the best illustration of it on Google Images (that I could see). I'm not Jennie...

It means to keep things even keel, they will alter the marking schemes to make sure the majority of people will get C-B marks, and less get As, etc.. Supposedly it's to keep the college system from crippling, as one teacher put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

that paper was a joke. 8c isnt even on the course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The SEC pulled a fast one on us. The project maths paper is stupidly easy in comparison to ours. Not only that but it looks as if that Q7 and Q8 was originally written for Project Maths
    Dunno about that now. The C part 2 of Q7 maybe (and that was grand - I found it far easier than the C part 1, you just had to understand your differenciation a bit, which an A1 student should be able to do).

The Q8 C part, I dunno, is that on PM? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

haha ya mikehough I remember that yesterday, the guy who said "no wonder you failed" are you only messin or did you really find it easy? well, if you did, then ... you are a master at maths

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

MikeHough wrote: »
    isnt this ironic....
    the one guy who thought english pII was sick is about the only person who loved that maths pI.
    I had to stop myself from smilin when doin most of it and nearly all of it workin out!!!
    I know i shudnt gloat and im sickened for eveyone who thinks they cuda failed but i am just so happy right now!!!:D:D:D

oh ps: to de guy who said "its no wonder you failed" about my english...come back to me now. ha!

To be honest, considering that there seem to be many here who are fairly distraught, I don't think this is the most appropriate forum for bragging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

MikeHough wrote: »
    isnt this ironic....

You're so cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jumpguy wrote: »
    Dunno about that now. The C part 2 of Q7 maybe (and that was grand - I found it far easier than the C part 1, you just had to understand your differenciation a bit, which an A1 student should be able to do).

The Q8 C part, I dunno, is that on PM? :confused:
    It's not the question itself... It's the way they asked the question. If we had been asked if the curve was simply increasing or decreasing most people would have had no problem with that question. It was the fact they asked people to choose from three graphs while giving reasons that threw people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 margebaxter

Just to reiterate what has been said time and time again, 8c is on the course but perhaps it doesn't appear in text and tests. We use Oliver Murphy's book. Saying that, I still managed to screw up the very last bit. I couldn't resist the temptation of looking at the solutions. I strongly suggest that if you have not done so already... DON'T. It did nothing for my confidence. What's done is done. Maybe Trinity will let me clean the toilets of the arts department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

300th post! This is mad! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Digits wrote: »
    It is!

http://maths.slss.ie/resources/Leaving%20Cert.%20Syllabus.pdf

Page 15 around half way down the page. Area and volumesconfined to sphere and cone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

PJelly wrote: »
    Annd.. why did you have to do that? D=
    I let U equal the top. And the bottom was half Du. so I got U over one.
    Which was just U
    Then I had U^2 over two. Ended up with 24 at the end.

I don't think that it works if du is on the bottom line. I have a friend who divided it by long division too, it works out the same as the way I said. Here's mine (bear in mind I could be wrong too):

1)
    gif.latex?\frac{(x^2+2x+2)}{x+1}&space;dx

2)
    gif.latex?\frac{(x+1)^2+1}{x+1}&space;dx

3) Divide both by (x+1)
    gif.latex?((x+1)&space;+&space;\frac{1}{x+1})dx

4) u = (x+1), therefore

gif.latex?\frac{du}{dx}=1

therefore

du = dx

5) Sub in u for (x+1) and du for dx
    gif.latex?((u)&space;+&space;\frac{1}{u})du

And integrate and change limits from there.

I messed up because I left out the u by itself:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 muggy

Thats sick if the integral is the disc is not even in text and tests...Like i no it may be on the course bu wats a man to ****ing do like...??? Is it worth anything to write letters to the commission seriously

Advertisement