Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 margebaxter

MikeHough wrote: »
    Welllll welllllll welllllllllllllllllll.....
    isnt this ironic....
    the one guy who thought english pII was sick is about the only person who loved that maths pI.
    I had to stop myself from smilin when doin most of it and nearly all of it workin out!!!
    I know i shudnt gloat and im sickened for eveyone who thinks they cuda failed but i am just so happy right now!!!:D:D:D
    So...hit me with yer jealously,envy and resentment.

oh ps: to de guy who said "its no wonder you failed" about my english...come back to me now. ha!

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

muggy wrote: »
    Thats sick if the integral is the disc is not even in text and tests...Like i no it may be on the course bu wats a man to ****ing do like...??? Is it worth anything to write letters to the commission seriously

Page 90, Question 25,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Has anyone the full set of solutions (not the marking scheme)?

I'm just trying to prove to myself that I passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

yeah that example is correct, but damn, dont you really need strong abstract thinking to spot that. I remember in the mock everyone found paper I really hard, then when paper II came along, it was more do-able and easier.

Keep posting everyone. draw as much attention as possible ,

Hopefully it will be on the 9:00 news tonight - com'on!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

It's not really wrong, what you're proposing is an extra step. You can put up the 1/2 as a power or leave it as a coefficient in front if the log. It's not that big of a deal.
    You multiplied it in though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    yeah that example is correct, but damn, dont you really need strong abstract thinking to spot that. I remember in the mock everyone found paper I really hard, then when paper II came along, it was more do-able and easier.

Keep posting everyone. draw as much attention as possible ,

Hopefully it will be on the 9:00 news tonight - com'on!

Maybe doing a bit of study would be more helpful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 muggy

http://maths.slss.ie/resources/Leaving%20Cert.%20Syllabus.pdf

Page 15 around half way down the page. Area and volumesconfined to sphere and cone

Good wrk son..We may have a case...!!!! Spread this on all the social networking sites asap....Il get ppl to start sending letters and get the schools to ring in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 margebaxter

Thats sick if the integral is the disc is not even in text and tests...Like i no it may be on the course bu wats a man to ****ing do like...??? Is it worth anything to write letters to the commission seriously

One of those screaming letters from Harry Potter, the howlers.... That'd go down a treat. I reckon it would do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Has anyone the full set of solutions (not the marking scheme)?

I'm just trying to prove to myself that I passed.

I just finished doing them out there

just have to scan and upload. :)

Good wrk son..We may have a case...!!!! Spread this on all the social networking sites asap....Il get ppl to start sending letters and get the schools to ring in...

But that form of diffrenciation is on the course. It was asked in 1999 where they gave you the clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Paper 1 was excruciating.....3 in my class capable of A's and all said best dey'l get is b2's...We never did integral of a disc..Is it in the texts and tests blue book..?? Couldnt find it. Was hoping for B1 will settle for c2 nw

It's not in it afaik. At least not as one that they give an answer to.
    It's not the question itself... It's the way they asked the question. If we had been asked if the curve was simply increasing or decreasing most people would have had no problem with that question. It was the fact they asked people to choose from three graphs while giving reasons that threw people off.

This. I didn't realise until looking on the forums that it was in the (-1,0) region. WHY did they provide us with a diagram that was completely contradictory to the question? I hope that won't cost too many marks.
    nommm wrote: »
    You multiplied it in though

But either one is still correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

this should be a fun read

Lads my teacher just rang me der....The integral of the disc is not technically on the course...It was confined just to the sphere and cone after the 2001 exam, but has been brought back for project maths....The department told her that they'l "have to wait and analyise the results first and come to a decision. They also said they will wait to hear the response from schools, teachers and students...GET EMAILING AND SPREAD IT ON SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES..Im writing my strongly worded letter now...Lets get de ****ing marks...!!!

One of those screaming letters from Harry Potter, the howlers.... That'd go down a treat. I reckon it would do no harm.

hahahaha niiice...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Lads my teacher just rang me der....The integral of the disc is not technically on the course...It was confined just to the sphere and cone after the 2001 exam, but has been brought back for project maths....The department told her that they'l "have to wait and analyise the results first and come to a decision. They also said they will wait to hear the response from schools, teachers and students...GET EMAILING AND SPREAD IT ON SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES..Im writing my strongly worded letter now...Lets get de ****ing marks...!!!

pretty pathetic that the committee for the most important exams of our life is so haphazard

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jeannie792

Would anyone like the solutions?

Yes please!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Think I got most of the hard stuff funnily enough,apart from the disc thing, but ****ed up some easy stuff though coz I was so stressed about time and how hard it was... actually couldn't remember how to differentiate cos squared, how embarrassing :P

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    pretty pathetic that the committee for the most important exams of our life is so haphazard

Ya very true..In fairness this isnt a joke like..This is serious could be the difference in getting a course or not especially if you need the honours maths for engineering or watever....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Digits wrote: »
    But that form of diffrenciation is on the course. It was asked in 1999 where they gave you the clue.

I want someone to double check themselves but I just looked through the papers and it didn't come from 2010 to 1995! So I honestly don't know. . From what I gather so far it is not on the sylybus...... And I won't mind been proven wrong If I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cabby92

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

I am actually going to email Brendan Guildea now to find out his exact opinion on that paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

The link to the syllabus is below, seems that the disk actually isnt on the course, go figure

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_maths_sy.pdf?language=EN

Definite integrals with applications to areas and volumes
    of revolution (confined to cones and spheres)

Gileadi wrote: »
    Definite integrals with applications to areas and volumes of revolution (confined to cones and spheres)

I think that'd be enough for them to justify it being on. Mind you, not putting a hint is a bit unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Michael_E wrote: »
    I think that'd be enough for them to justify it being on. Mind you, not putting a hint is a bit unfair.

"confined to" would tend me to think otherwise

I want someone to double check themselves but I just looked through the papers and it didn't come from 2010 to 1995! So I honestly don't know. . From what I gather so far it is not on the sylybus...... And I won't mind been proven wrong If I am wrong.
    1999 paper 1 question 8 (c)

Not a circle but the exact same method.

You could be right, I think it's worded poorly though. I think that "confined to" is only referring to the volumes, since we apply definite integrals to curves too. It's a matter of opinion really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 amJam

Jusssst wondering....

Did anyone else try the x=rsin(theta) substitution for the disc in question 8c? Because y=(square root of) r(squared) - x(squared) ...??

....anyone?!

amJam wrote: »
    Jusssst wondering....

Did anyone else try the x=rsin(theta) substitution for the disc in question 8c? Because y=(square root of) r(squared) - x(squared) ...??

....anyone?!

I did that, yes. That's the way I've always done it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

They could say that volume of revolution is confined to cones and spheres.. Which on close look it does seem to mean that!

Advertisement