Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 salbal

ya it was clearly a trick for profect maths, but if you were in the right state of mind and thinking right it was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

How do you think you did?

Before someone else says it, we know we should forget about it and I'm sure we'll all spend the weekend focusing on PII.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

polka dot wrote: »
    I would but I'd rather not! Save some arguments hopefully.

Like, the test had easy enough parts but it had some really awful parts too. Granted if you had looked at those specific questions before then I suppose it would have been great.

I didn't think this thread would get this big.
    :P

thats fair enough but i might just go ahead and make a new thread so with a poll. really want to sum up the reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Uploading now.
    Don't have Q4 done yet. I'll do it asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bettymcboo

Shinny...your thread :O :O

;)

On the other hand, Maths Paper 1 was horrendous..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

salbal wrote: »
    i said A too, it was a fair and clever question, made you think, alot of people are upset because they couldnt reem off things they had learnt
    I spent the past year doing maths questions every single day of the week from both the exam papers and the internet. I spent hours needlessly reading up on the theory behind the topics on the course. I really wanted to get an A and now thanks to this exam, all the work i've done this year has gone to waste. I was very confident going in the exam but left it broken and disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I spent the past year doing maths questions every single day of the week from both the exam papers and the internet. I spent hours needlessly reading up on the theory behind the topics on the course. I really wanted to get an A and now thanks to this exam, all the work i've done this year has gone to waste. I was very confident going in the exam but left it broken and disappointed.

Judging by that lengthy analysis you gave a few pages back you did fine, probably an A2. I don't see why you're so worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

mtb_kng wrote: »

Before someone else says it, we know we should forget about it and I'm sure we'll all spend the weekend focusing on PII.

EDIT: Please just vote, we can use the other maths tread for the ranting about SEC.

Might just want to rename the thread. The title makes it look like a duplicate of the main one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 owenthorp7

I just finished doing them out there

just have to scan and upload. :)

Can you send it to me please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

My heart goes out to those people aiming for an A1, I was furious with the English paper so I know what it's like. Look we all understand honours maths is hard. I struggle with it big time but I have literally worked my ass off since the mocks for this exam. I didn't feel too bad about the paper. I did what I could but I didn't want to let myself panic so I took it one step at a time. (So really I could have got nothing right but I'm just concentrating on the next exam)

This is the way i see it, some people went into English yesterday with one preprepared poet ready to spit out on the page, they might have gotten their A on that question. Others spent a lot of time preparing 5 poets for the exam because you're required to have a certain amount of poets covered.

The maths paper comes along and some people spend a lot of time learning and studying for an exam that is a lot harder (for most)then honours english.
    I don't really understand it all to be honest you can get away with doing féck all in english and yet doing this in a maths and you'd be lucky to pass. Maybe I'm just ranting but sure it's friday. Why not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 salbal

you obviously are good and maths and youll surprise yourself with the mark you probably got! they have to mark it easy, there were some horrible parts but there were also some lovely parts, going by the response of the country not many will be getting a's, so they'l havta change the marking scheme, but its true, the questions werent exactly impossible just phrased differently, thats the problem with the lc we're told by teachers 'this is the way itl come up' and when it doesnt we panic, i really do hope you get ok tho! my teacher said paper one was gna be way worse, paper two can only be a breath of fresh air, best of luck!

There could obviously be mistakes, did it in a rush, seems ok though.

Question 8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Judging by that lengthy analysis you gave a few pages back you did fine, probably an A2. I don't see why you're so worried.
    There's no way I got an A2 anyway... =/

Using extremely generous estimations I may have gotten 79-80%. The fact other people did so bad may change the marking scheme to such a point that my estimation may be made completely inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I just basically unpacked my heard to the SEC. Though it may be worded strangely here and there :p

"I assume that you've received many emails about honors maths paper one today. And I feel that I must add my voice to the rabble.

From practicing past papers, I can safely say that I'm an A2, B1 student. The past papers are what us students base ourselves against, it is what we're basically told, our exams are going to be like.
    But this paper, was a complete deviation from every paper to date. Even the more challenging papers from 1996-1999.

How dare you play with our futures this way. These are our careers you're messing with. We have all, myself included, worked tooth and nail to achieve the best grades we possibly can. We are told time and time again how there are less and less students taking part in honors maths, so we dedicate ourselves to putting in the extra effort. And to have all of that effort come to naught is a complete joke. After our initial papers, I thought you were issuing quite fair exams. But now I see how fickle you can be.

And if this notion that you increased the difficulty of our exam in order to make project maths seem better by comparison, you should be ashamed of yourselves. We didn't choose the regular course over project maths. So to be almost "Punished" in order to make your new course seem more effective, is a crime. I hope you shape up, and either issue another, fair, paper one. Or completely revamp the marking scheme. Unless you want to see upwards of 50% of students being forced to repeat next year.

Words cannot express the rage I feel, as I know my course, which requires a B2 that I could have gotten with a regular paper, has been robbed from me.
    All my work has clearly been for nothing.
    Thank you SEC. Thank you for nothing."

I feel I got my point across.

Question 3

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mtb_kng wrote: »

Fair enough, I'll lock this one so rather than merge it.

I honestly think people should move on now though! :)

EDIT ... that closed the poll too, don't know why!

/merging

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Question 8

I think your upper limit should be 2 not 1 for b (ii)

how is x^2 + 2x + 2 = (x+1)^2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Question 8

Thank you so much :D could you recheck 8b ii (i dont mean to correct you :o) but i think your factorizing is wrong. Really sorry ..... just if other people look at it.

I really do appreciate it though..... have been worrying all night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Question 8
    Your limits change from 2,0 to 1,0 in b (i)
    Your quadratic in (ii) does not equal (x+1)^2
    Sorry to nitpick :p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

Question 8

In Q8 (A) should the limits not be two and one?

Also, (x + 1) ^2 is not equal to x^2 + 2x + 2.

It's very good of you to go to the trouble of doing out solutions, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

PJelly wrote: »
    I just basically unpacked my heard to the SEC. Though it may be worded strangely here and there :p

"I assume that you've received many emails about honors maths paper one today. And I feel that I must add my voice to the rabble.

From practicing past papers, I can safely say that I'm an A2, B1 student. The past papers are what us students base ourselves against, it is what we're basically told, our exams are going to be like.
    But this paper, was a complete deviation from every paper to date. Even the more challenging papers from 1996-1999.

How dare you play with our futures this way. These are our careers you're messing with. We have all, myself included, worked tooth and nail to achieve the best grades we possibly can. We are told time and time again how there are less and less students taking part in honors maths, so we dedicate ourselves to putting in the extra effort. And to have all of that effort come to naught is a complete joke. After our initial papers, I thought you were issuing quite fair exams. But now I see how fickle you can be.

And if this notion that you increased the difficulty of our exam in order to make project maths seem better by comparison, you should be ashamed of yourselves. We didn't choose the regular course over project maths. So to be almost "Punished" in order to make your new course seem more effective, is a crime. I hope you shape up, and either issue another, fair, paper one. Or completely revamp the marking scheme. Unless you want to see upwards of 50% of students being forced to repeat next year.

Words cannot express the rage I feel, as I know my course, which requires a B2 that I could have gotten with a regular paper, has been robbed from me.
    All my work has clearly been for nothing.
    Thank you SEC. Thank you for nothing."

I feel I got my point across.

Hey PJelly, I just basically did the same thing. I just told SEC excatly how I felt, let's hope it will make a difference. Also, you needed A B2! what course is that?

How do you think you did? grade wise

• Registered Users Posts: 19 howlermonkey

Such an awful paper :(

I'M A GUY BTW :p

Question 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Question 8

I think B(i) has a mistake in the limits. You seem to have changed 2 to 1 by accident. I think the new limits should be 10 and 2 (not 5 and 2).

Like I said, did this in a rush, sorry for the tiny mistakes :o

But I assure you my methods are correct :p

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Question 8

Heads up, you might have errors in 8b, as x^2 + 2x + 2 doesnt equal (x+1)^2. . .thanks for the solutions though. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

My heart goes out to those people aiming for an A1, I was furious with the English paper so I know what it's like. Look we all understand honours maths is hard. I struggle with it big time but I have literally worked my ass off since the mocks for this exam. I didn't feel too bad about the paper. I did what I could but I didn't want to let myself panic so I took it one step at a time. (So really I could have got nothing right but I'm just concentrating on the next exam)

This is the way i see it, some people went into English yesterday with one preprepared poet ready to spit out on the page, they might have gotten their A on that question. Others spent a lot of time preparing 5 poets for the exam because you're required to have a certain amount of poets covered.

The maths paper comes along and some people spend a lot of time learning and studying for an exam that is a lot harder (for most)then honours english.
    I don't really understand it all to be honest you can get away with doing féck all in english and yet doing this in a maths and you'd be lucky to pass. Maybe I'm just ranting but sure it's friday. Why not.

man, that is the most sense i have heard anyone speakin in i dunno how long. u couldnt be more on the point.....nail on the head right there!!!!
    the amount of people gloating at getting away with just doin boland or dickinson was sickenin yesterday, while maths students study as much as they can and still get screwed over.

Question 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 zuluin

maybe memories i think 3(c)i is wrong. i think all you had to do there was sub in n=1 and then n=2 and then n=3 to verify the statement. it would be wrong to say that (A'BA)^n = A'BA.A'BA.A'BA......A'BA

• Advertisement

Yes, I get it, mistake in 8b, apologies :p

Advertisement