Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

PJelly wrote: »
    Or completely revamp the marking scheme. Unless you want to see upwards of 50% of students being forced to repeat next year.

Ah now, 50% of people don't even do honors Maths, that's abit of an exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

zuluin wrote: »
    maybe memories i think 3(c)i is wrong. i think all you had to do there was sub in n=1 and then n=2 and then n=3 to verify the statement. it would be wrong to say that (A'BA)^n = A'BA.A'BA.A'BA......A'BA

I did it the same way Texts and Tests 4 did it

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Question 3

Wow... I actually did this question right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 zuluin

also in Q-5(a) they asked for the co-effecient of x^8 not the co-effecient of the 8th term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

also in Q-5(a) they asked for the co-effecient of x^8 not the co-effecient of the 8th term.

What was the final answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The funny thing about all this is the people next year doing the relatively easier Project Maths course get an extra 25 points whilst us poor sods who got stuck with this horrible paper get nothing of the sort.

I doubt the SEC will actually care. The most they'll do is change the marking scheme. They're not going to annul the paper or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

WOW, I'm feeling very happy now. All my hard work looks liked it paid off. I got all those answers right. phew, I hope I get a B! or a C! at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    Hey PJelly, I just basically did the same thing. I just told SEC excatly how I felt, let's hope it will make a difference. Also, you needed A B2! what course is that?

How do you think you did? grade wise
    Computer games development in Queens University Belfast. I've my heart set on it. Absolutely gutted now.

.... C2/3 ish? And paper one is my better paper.

Question 1

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Full marks in q8...might just save me. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The funny thing about all this is the people next year doing the relatively easier Project Maths course get an extra 25 points whilst us poor sods who got stuck with this horrible paper get nothing of the sort.

I doubt the SEC will actually care. The most they'll do is change the marking scheme. They're not going to annul the paper or anything.

To be honest, I would prefer a large marking scheme shift to redoing the whole thing.

After reading Maybe Memories' Q1bii, I still have no idea how to do that one :p

The courses' points' requirements will change to reflect that, so it won't really matter. In reality, the 25 extra points is merely a psychological thing.

NotExactly wrote: »
    Ah now, 50% of people don't even do honors Maths, that's abit of an exaggeration.
    Oh yeah I know. But any good speech needs hyperbole! :p

Crap! Sorry, misread it.

Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

maybe memories i think your 5a is wrong...you had to get the co-efficent of x^8 not the 8th term.

well at least i hope your wrong cause q.5 was the only question i was happy with :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

hmm yeah those lucky students next year, getting 25 extra points! BUT, the bad results will put them off H.L ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whillikers

Question 5

I like the way you say "suppose for n=k"

Just sounds like you're resigning to the fact.

Oh yeah.. I suppose it's true for n=k... whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Question 5

5 (a) is looking for the coefficient of X^8 not the 8th term. Correct method though.

I would personally actually prefer to sit another paper one. A reasonable one.

PJelly wrote: »
    I would personally actually prefer to sit another paper one. A reasonable one.
    As would I.

• Advertisement

Question 1

Q1 b, part 2 was tough! I mean, i understand the maths behind it perfectly, but having not seen that before, was not able to make those leaps of logic on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

MikeHough wrote: »
    man, that is the most sense i have heard anyone speakin in i dunno how long. u couldnt be more on the point.....nail on the head right there!!!!
    the amount of people gloating at getting away with just doin boland or dickinson was sickenin yesterday, while maths students study as much as they can and still get screwed over.

Woman ;) Haha but thanks all the same.
    I know it's crazy I studied 5 poets because I didn't want to risk a grade on it. I have friends that studied one and they didn't put half as much effort as I did yet we'll probably get the same result. I might not be the best person in the world at english but I'm good enough to get accepted to a college in England(I'm really not bragging here by the way!) My point is just that I was judged on my own work not a poet I learned in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Whillikers wrote: »
    I like the way you say "suppose for n=k"

Just sounds like you're resigning to the fact.

Oh yeah.. I suppose it's true for n=k... whatever

That's just how induction works.:)

This pole isn't doing us any favours :p "A" is tied second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sharmadd

I am so enraged right now! Having always been a weakling at honours maths, and only wanting to "at least" pass it. No chance now! Dammit! All my hopes and dreams out the effin window.. -_-

Question 2.

NOTE: In part C, I don't like expressions just flying around, so i name them g, h, theta, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

Gumbi wrote: »
    What was the final answer?
    i got 210 i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

conlufc wrote: »
    i got 210 i think...

I got that aswell so must be right..!

Not because I got it, though that would be plausible, but because we both got the same answer..! :P

Gumbi wrote: »
    Q1 b, part 2 was tough! I mean, i understand the maths behind it perfectly, but having not seen that before, was not able to make those leaps of logic on the day.
    Is the answer supposed to be every number up to infinity or something?
    If so, I kind of see the maths behind it "It is always a factor, no matter what the power"
    But to ask the students to be able to grasp that having never seen it before....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

I honestly thought the paper was grand overall, but Q1b(ii) and 2(c)(iii) were insanely difficult and I couldn't even attempt them. By inspection I got 1(b)(ii) as n being the odd numbers though.

For those citing the syllabus saying "the area of a disc isn't on it!!" http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_maths_sy.pdf?language=EN page 15:
    functions of the form (a^2 -x^2)^1/2, it's very specifically mentioned and if you didn't do it in class, I'd be complaining about your teacher, rather than the paper.

The paper was different though (4b looks more like a difference equation from paper two! but I suppose difference equations are a type of recurrence ones), it seemed to really try and test your thinking in new ways. I think it'll be marked fairly easy though.

• Advertisement

I got that aswell so must be right..!

Not because I got it, though that would be plausible, but because we both got the same answer..! :P
    I got 210 as well... Therefore we can be certain we're right :p

Advertisement