Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

conlufc wrote: »
    i got 210 i think...

-210 maybe? I think I got that. I wrote it with "x" though, even though it only asked for the coefficient, will that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Question 7

Note, c(iii) should not have been asked at LC level.
    While possible if you knew your stuff well enough, a bit too tricky in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

I got 210 as well... Therefore we can be certain we're right :p

Snap, now lets hope there is 50 marks going for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Question 2.

NOTE: In part C, I don't like expressions just flying around, so i name them g, h, theta, etc...

Can 2(c) be proven by factorising the x^2 -6x + 13 into (x-3)^2 + (2)^2 and for (i) saying that since two positive numbers equal a positive number, f(x)>0
    and for (ii) saying that since these numbers have to have a sum greater than 4, because they're being divided into 1, f(x) is always < 1 ??

worrying quite a bit about how it'll be marked, i'm fairly certain what i wrote made sense, who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Im a grinds tutor and have taken a quick look at the paper.

It wasn't impossible, it tested your understanding of each topic as opposed to your ability to carry out trivial equations. If your teachers didn't prepare you for understanding then thats their fault.

Saying that it was one of the harder papers. In particular 1(b)(ii), 2 (c) (its easy if you get the first step), 8 (c)(ii). The rest you should of been prepared for; however, their was no easy question this year.

If anyone has any specific question about the paper PM me and I will do my best to get to it.

Don't bother dwelling on this if you did badly, get up and start studying tomorrow. Make sure you know all the proofs and can do your option question. Again any question for paper 2, PM me and I will try to get back to them (as I obviously have a lot of grinds over the next two days so will be on Boards infrequently)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Gumbi wrote: »

-210 maybe? I think I got that. I wrote it with "x" though, even though it only asked for the coefficient, will that matter?

(-1)^of an even number gets rid of the minus.

I got 210 aswell btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

I got that aswell so must be right..!

Not because I got it, though that would be plausible, but because we both got the same answer..! :P

haha..just because i got it dosent mean its right:P:D

PJelly wrote: »
    Is the answer supposed to be every number up to infinity or something?
    If so, I kind of see the maths behind it "It is always a factor, no matter what the power"
    But to ask the students to be able to grasp that having never seen it before....

Every odd number up to infinity ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gaelicman

am teaching hons maths for 38 years-believe me-this is one of the worst papers-take comfort on two fronts-the paper will be marked "easy"(not a satisfactory method as some pupils lose their nerve and almost give up) and generally the second paper won't be as bad.good luck to you all-i am also angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Again, I will say it!!!!! :)
    Stop with the over-reactions, for your own sake!

Yes, by the sounds of it, it wasn't a nice paper.

Therefore it was a not-nice paper for everyone.

So either PII will balance it, or the marking scheme will be eased, or a combination of both.

The percentage of As, Bs, etc. won't be that different this year to any other year, so it will have to be balanced out.

Put it aside and go prepare for PII or whatever your next exam is.

I don't mean to sound unfeeling, of course it's upsetting when you get a horrible paper, but the only thing to do is to pick yourself up and move on.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    Im a grinds tutor and have taken a quick look at the paper.

It wasn't impossible, it tested your understanding of each topic as opposed to your ability to carry out trivial equations. If your teachers didn't prepare you for understanding then thats their fault.

Saying that it was one of the harder papers. In particular 1(b)(ii), 2 (c) (its easy if you get the first step), 8 (c)(ii). The rest you should of been prepared for; however, their was no easy question this year.

If anyone has any specific question about the paper PM me and I will do my best to get to it.

Don't bother dwelling on this if you did badly, get up and start studying tomorrow. Make sure you know all the proofs and can do your option question. Again any question for paper 2, PM me and I will try to get back to them (as I obviously have a lot of grinds over the next two days so will be on Boards infrequently)

I thought 2c was very manageable (I didn't get the final part fully, though). My problems were in 8, where I messed up in the bs (also, I didn't know how to find the area of a disc), and c in 7. I got full marks, hopefully, in q6.

I think it was the wording of the qs that threw a lot of people off in some cases. A pity no proofs came up, as I had them all well prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I honestly thought the paper was grand overall, but Q1b(ii) and 2(c)(iii) were insanely difficult and I couldn't even attempt them. By inspection I got 1(b)(ii) as n being the odd numbers though.

For those citing the syllabus saying "the area of a disc isn't on it!!" http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_maths_sy.pdf?language=EN page 15:
    functions of the form (a^2 -x^2)^1/2, it's very specifically mentioned and if you didn't do it in class, I'd be complaining about your teacher, rather than the paper.

Yes, but that's only a small part of the disc question. It still isn't on the syllabus, most students wouldn't even know how to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Gumbi wrote: »
    The courses' points' requirements will change to reflect that, so it won't really matter. In reality, the 25 extra points is merely a psychological thing.

If someone gets an honor this year, takes a year out and reapplys next year to the CAO do they get an extra 25 points?

aranciata wrote: »
    Can 2(c) be proven by factorising the x^2 -6x + 13 into (x-3)^2 + (2)^2 and for (i) saying that since two positive numbers equal a positive number, f(x)>0
    and for (ii) saying that since these numbers have to have a sum greater than 4, because they're being divided into 1, f(x) is always < 1 ??

worrying quite a bit about how it'll be marked, i'm fairly certain what i wrote made sense, who knows..

Yeah that works!

If anything this is probably the "correct" way of doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

conlufc wrote: »
    haha..just because i got it dosent mean its right:P:D

But because I got it then it is right..! :P

gaelicman wrote: »
    am teaching hons maths for 38 years-believe me-this is one of the worst papers-take comfort on two fronts-the paper will be marked "easy"(not a satisfactory method as some pupils lose their nerve and almost give up) and generally the second paper won't be as bad.good luck to you all-i am also angry.

Thanks! To be honest, though, saying pap2 will be easier is not good enough. What if pap1 is someone's strong point?

Also, for q7 where it said to express dy/dx in the form of x, where it was supposed to be in the form of "t", if I got dy/dx, and then attempted to write it back in the form of "x" (obviously failing to do so as it was misworded), will I still get full marks?

Using the solutions I went and corrected myself..! :P

I got 74.6%..! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Yeah that works!

If anything this is probably the "correct" way of doing it :)

aaaah, a little relief! those (hopefully) 10 marks could go a long way.. thanks for posting up your solutions by the way, really helpful - they're definitely motivating me to work harder for paper 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Holy shiznit I think I got 100%. I went onto this thread expecting the worst but it's turned my day right around. Thx Maybe_Mem.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

C14N wrote: »
    Yes, but that's only a small part of the disc question. It still isn't on the syllabus, most students wouldn't even know how to start it.

What do you mean "a small part"? That's all of it. Integrate that between (-r) and (r) and you get 1/2*pi*r^2 which you multiply by two. I can remember doing it in class from one of the books and being specifically told that it was likely to come up because it's difficult and not in the tables book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

NotExactly wrote: »
    If someone gets an honor this year, takes a year out and reapplys next year to the CAO do they get an extra 25 points?

Nope ..... you wont get any extra points...... sucks I know! :(

Using the solutions I went and corrected myself..! :P

I got 74.6%..! :D

If so it's a shame they don't round up in the LC:rolleyes:. That's still a B3, but fairplay.

Nope ..... you wont get any extra points...... sucks I know! :(

:eek: Are you sure 'cause one of my friends is convinced you do. He's not sure if he'll get his course and was thinking of taking a year out if he doesn't and using the extra 25 points (provided he passes the paper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

bren2001 wrote: »

If I wanted to do project maths, I would have done transition year. I feel my teacher did her level best to teach us higher maths and to maximise our grades on the exam that had been carried out for the past fourteen years. I did not learn jack sheet about the graphs in question seven, the integration method of finding the area of a circle, or whatever the hell you can consider question 2ciii to be, as they have not been on the course in either donkey's years, or ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

:eek: Are you sure 'cause one of my friends is convinced you do. He's not sure if he'll get his course and was thinking of taking a year out if he doesn't and using the extra 25 points (provided he passes the paper)

ya i remember discussing at the time. it only applies to next years..... which really does suck! i shall try find a link

If so it's a shame they don't round up in the LC:rolleyes:. That's still a B3, but fairplay.

Before today I was scared shítless and resigned myself to a C2/3 because even though I am very strong at maths I neglected it all year.. This has motivated me to study hard this weekend and aim for 100% on paper 2... It would get me an A2.. Highly unlikely but I'll try..! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

That's rubbish. The question clearly states that the functions are defined on all of R other than x=0 and x=-1, which is true. The issue of an arctan of an undefined function doesn't arise, as they clearly excluded the only two values of x that would lead to that happening.

It then stated that the diagrams were showing you parts of the two graphs, which is again (in the case of the correct diagram, A) true. (Showing you the x>0 portions.)

There is no technical inaccuracy. If you understand what derivatives tell you about a function, you can answer it. If you don't, you can't. As other students have correctly stated, B is ruled out because the derivatives of the graphs shown in B are clearly not everywhere equal, and C is ruled out because it shows increasing functions. If you draw the graphs on wolframalpha, you'll see that the diagram is pretty accurate, in fact.

I drew the graphs in Matlab, I'm aware the function is valid, but clarity is the issue here - the slash notation isn't covered at LC level afaik, so x E R \ {-1,0} is more likely to be read as the valid domain, which is unfair. In fact, it took me a read there to actually see it, I can only imagine how an exam student felt. In any case, you do need to know the arctan of an undefined function as graph A clearly shows the function evaluated at x = 0, which gives rise to the situation.

I know from students in the room that it really threw them, and for that reason I think it's unfair and far too technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

Question 7

Note, c(iii) should not have been asked at LC level.
    While possible if you knew your stuff well enough, a bit too tricky in fairness..

I agree.

People, forget about the graphs in 7.
    They were a bit.. hardcore, even by my standards :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

the ppl who clicked A must be from the project maths side of things
    i'm an A student and i'd say i got a C!

Advertisement