Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Paczini wrote: »
    so I emailed Brendan Guildea and in reply got his private number,
    Im gonna call him tomorrow to ask him about that paper
    He was on radio this evening. Can't remember the exact words he used but he basically said it was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

bren2001 wrote: »
    Attempt marks wont be raised, they will always be 2 or 3. The marking scheme has not been made yet, they have to wait on how people do on paper 2.

Though in some cases they are more lenient with attempt marks and give them for the smallest of right steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    eh, no. do you honestly believe that you managed to accurately predict your score to one decimal place using an unofficial marking scheme with no marks indication, entirely from memory?

Considering they don't know what marks go for each question I'd be surprised if he got that.

The marks are going to be moved around to follow the bell curve i.e. the easier parts will be given more marks. Nobody knows how they did yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Anybody with a simple knowledge of past marking schemes could do it so less of the sarcasm.

I did the exam today, not last year. It wasn't exactly hard to remember what I had done and the answers I had got.

Marking schemes change to cater for the general population. There is no way for sure you can tell what you've gotten, especially with this paper, the marking schemes will be drastically changed or else there will be a serious incline in failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

To put you all at ease, I imagine only like 5 marks going for the second part of the factor theorem and for the graph thing in 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

polka dot wrote: »
    Oh no, that wasn't me! Someone else (sorry can't remember username!) created a new thread with a poll and one of the mods merged it in.

I love your poll though. Very ... artistic :P

EDIT: it was mtb_kng :)

oh ok.sorry
    haha....thanks!!!:D:D i like it too

oh well......it wont be used now:rolleyes:

so.....damn u mtb_kng

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

The 2+2 was hard

Using the solutions I went and corrected myself..! :P

I got 74.6%..! :D
    Considering they don't know what marks go for each question I'd be surprised if he got that.

The marks are going to be moved around to follow the bell curve i.e. the easier parts will be given more marks. Nobody knows how they did yet.
    Patri wrote: »
    Marking schemes change to cater for the general population. There is no way for sure you can tell what you've gotten, especially with this paper, the marking schemes will be drastically changed or else there will be a serious incline in failures.

I am not stupid and didn't come down in the last shower. However, I did say using the solutions I got 74.6%.

Obviously that is not the exact score that Mr. Examiner will give me using the marking schemes but it is some sort of a guide as to how I performed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    eh, no. do you honestly believe that you managed to accurately predict your score to one decimal place using an unofficial marking scheme with no marks indication, entirely from memory?
    This may be extremely arbitrary and in no way scientific but the best way to do something like this I think would be to "mark" your answers from memory against the solutions using what you would consider to be harsher marking than standard marking as per previous marking schemes. Then once you get a figure +10/-20 it and create a mark range. It may not be a perfect way of estimating your marks but it's the best we've got without a proper marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

What do you mean "a small part"? That's all of it. Integrate that between (-r) and (r) and you get 1/2*pi*r^2 which you multiply by two. I can remember doing it in class from one of the books and being specifically told that it was likely to come up because it's difficult and not in the tables book.

Because for most people (myself included), we had no way to even get to that part. I had a guess and kind of got it anyway but most people who knew the revolutions perfectly had no idea on how to use it to find area rather than volume.

• Advertisement

This may be extremely arbitrary and in no way scientific but the best way to do something like this I think would be to "mark" your answers from memory against the solutions using what you would consider to be harsher marking than standard marking as per previous marking schemes. Then once you get a figure +10/-20 it and create a mark range. It may not be a perfect way of estimating your marks but it's the best we've got without a proper marking scheme.

And this is exactly what I did, and I saw you did too..! I believe we both did very well (yes I added your marks! :P ) so although it's not our actual grade I think we can still be proud of ourselves! :)

I am not stupid and didn't come down in the last shower. However, I did say using the solutions I got 74.6%.

Obviously that is not the exact score that Mr. Examiner will give me using the marking schemes but it is some sort of a guide as to how I performed.

What it tells you is you got above 60, you don't know how to much, how many marks you lost and what not. Don't go in thinking you got 74.6 for paper 2.

Where did you get this improvised Marking Scheme? I want to do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

lynchy101 wrote: »
    Our supervisor was sound and let us use our books for a while.
    We are all really hopeful for an A now.

Stop trolling!! - R.
    lynchy101 wrote: »
    The 2+2 was hard

Bye now!

EDIT: Ban lifted following apology.
    polka dot wrote: »
    Trolls have arrived.
    Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

C14N wrote: »
    Because for most people (myself included), we had no way to even get to that part. I had a guess and kind of got it anyway but most people who knew the revolutions perfectly had no idea on how to use it to find area rather than volume.

You must have had a very bad teacher then... it wasn't a revolution one at all, and came up in a previous paper (99, I think, not sure offhand).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Cydoniac wrote: »
    He was on radio this evening. Can't remember the exact words he used but he basically said it was dire.

I know that he was on the radio and TV but I didn't get a chance to listen to him. As well as that I prefer to ask him personally about his own views.
    nommm wrote: »
    I was talking to his mate George Humphrey. They're both disgusted by it. Apparently there was a few questions even they couldn't quite get their head around!

Yeah, I was thinkin about George too but I don't have any contact directly to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 purple27

I thought it was an alright paper when I did it out at home, but if I was in an exam setting I probably would have panicked and ****ed it up!

Where did you get this improvised Marking Scheme? I want to do the same thing.

The solutions are printed a few pages back on this and then I used the standard 10, 20, 20 scheme.

You must have had a very bad teacher then... it wasn't a revolution one at all, and came up in a previous paper (99, I think, not sure offhand).

Perhaps but this doesn't show up in the book either. I also have a few friends who have done grinds in the Institute on Saturdays since September who have never seen it.

Can someone help me out on figuring if this is right?

On Q2c, I worked out the bottom half of the fraction to be

gif.latex?\frac{1}{(x+3)^2+2^2}

And used this to show that it is both positive and less than 1. Is this answer valid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

The people who correct the papers, are they teachers ... will they feel sympathy and understand that this was a very odd and difficult paper?

If you want to re-check and view your scripts in September, who do you view it with? the examiner who corrected your paper? ... or do you alter the marks yourself.

• Advertisement

purple27 wrote: »
    I thought it was an alright paper when I did it out at home, but if I was in an exam setting I probably would have panicked and ****ed it up! The people I was giving grinds too seemed to feel okay afterwards, so I hope they've done well on it. :)

Shameless plug so someone asks for a grind off you over the weekend :pac: If you arn't booked up already for the weekend then its a sign of the quality of your grinds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

Perhaps but this doesn't show up in the book either. I also have a few friends who have done grinds in the Institute on Saturdays since September who have never seen it.

gif.latex?%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7B%28x+3%29%5E2+2%5E2%7D

And used this to show that it is both positive and less than 1. Is this answer valid?

New Concise Maths 4 page 201 has it.

That's a perfectly valid way of showing 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    The people who correct the papers, are they teachers ... will they feel sympathy and understand that this was a very odd and difficult paper?
    Examiners don't feel sympathy for an exam number. They organise a marking scheme between themselves and apply it.
    If you want to re-check and view your scripts in September, who do you view it with? the examiner who corrected your paper? ... or do you alter the marks yourself.
    Nice... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

New Concise Maths 4 page 201 has it.

That's a perfectly valid way of showing 2c.
    I may have accidentally done that as (X-3)^2 + 3 somehow.
    Is it still valid though? As it IS still going to always be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 purple27

-

Fxck, I didn't even realise it'd come across like that. Sorry, I'll take it out of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The majority will be practising teachers, yes, and they tend to make their views on the papers known at the marking conferences!!
    You can bring in your own teacher to view it with you.

You won't be altering anything though ... if there is reason to believe there are errors in the marking, you can send it away for a re-check.
    Examiners don't feel sympathy for an exam number. They organise a marking scheme between themselves and apply it.
    True, but they will bring their opinions to the conference, and they know perfectly well that someone will be marking their students using that marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

gif.latex?\frac{1}{(x+3)^2+2^2}

I did that. But was it not (x-3)^2. I honestly can't remember now.

How do you alter your grade? who is there, your own maths teacher? I can see alot of people going back looking for grade changes, plus . . . I reckon all the examiners (correctors) will understand this was a very difficult paper, so they'll pity us

A group of teachers don't just ramble in, do a marking scheme and ramble out. There are 10 selected teachers for paper 1 and paper 2 and are independant of each other (granted Oliver Murphy was on both). The set what they believe it fair for the paper. The then taken a sample number of papers, usually 100. Mark the papers. Draw a bell curve. If it follows the bell curve then the marking scheme is sent out if it doesnt then they adjust it.

The same number of people will get A's, B's , C's and D's this year as every year.

• Advertisement

Ah I see, well I presume your own maths teacher will be helping you go up some marks

Advertisement