Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    so they'll pity us
    that's the optimistic view :P i just hope i done around 120/300 marks. need to get a lot of marks from paper 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

How do you alter your grade? who is there, your own maths teacher? I can see alot of people going back looking for grade changes, plus . . . I reckon all the examiners (correctors) will understand this was a very difficult paper, so they'll pity us

You get our paper that you dont and a marking scheme. Your teacher will go through the paper and deem if it your mark is fair and advise you to send it back or not. Its 50e to do so but if your grade changes you get that back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

How do you alter your grade? who is there, your own maths teacher? I can see alot of people going back looking for grade changes, plus . . . I reckon all the examiners (correctors) will understand this was a very difficult paper, so they'll pity us

You go in to view it to see if you think you could get extra marks (with your maths teacher). If you do, you send it away to be re-corrected by a different examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

PJelly wrote: »
    I may have accidentally done that as (X-3)^2 + 3 somehow.
    Is it still valid though? As it IS still going to always be positive.

Yep, as Fireball said it'd be grand! Even if you had it factored wrongly, as long as you had it as the sum of positive terms, you'd get most of the marks (probably only -3).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

New Concise Maths 4 page 201 has it.

That's a perfectly valid way of showing 2c.

Yeah we have Texts and Tests. At least that's a proper way to answer 2c.
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    I did that. But was it not (x-3)^2. I honestly can't remember now.

Could have been, I just got it down there quickly, didn't look at it too much.

Any chance of a Q4 solution Maybe Memories? I couldn't find one looking back.

Added up marks and got 85%. Gave myself 7/20 on the disc and 3/10 on the factor theorem one. I'm kind of guessing on Q4 though as I haven't seen the solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

would there be a possibility of going down marks, and then actaully going down a grade, that would make anyone vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

would there be a possibility of going down marks, and then actaully going down a grade, that would make anyone vomit.
    It's theoretically a possibility.

It doesn't often happen (and if you have a teacher who knows what they're at advising you on whether to appeal, the risk is probably tending towards zero).

Happened to my sister in English. You still get your 50e back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

For that matrice question to show that M^n = M
    Did you do that by showing how in the previous part, (P-1MP)^n=P-1MP
    And as (P-1MP)^N=P-1M^nP
    P-1MP=P-1M^nP
    Therefore M=M^n

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

After putting all that work in all year, if i fail maths it was all for nothing. There's no way i'm watching other people who didn't put in half the amount of work go to college. They should reward the students doing higher level ( Not giving an easy paper but making it some bit accessible ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

C14N wrote: »
    Yeah we have Texts and Tests. At least that's a proper way to answer 2c.

Could have been, I just got it down there quickly, didn't look at it too much.

Any chance of a Q4 solution Maybe Memories? I couldn't find one looking back.

Added up marks and got 85%. Gave myself 7/20 on the disc and 3/10 on the factor theorem one. I'm kind of guessing on Q4 though as I haven't seen the solution.

I'll have it up tomorrow afternoon. I was too tired earlier :o

Also, people, please call me Paul :p

And as (P-1MP)^N=P-1M^nP
    P-1MP=P-1M^nP
    Therefore M=M^n

That's what I did in my solutions :)

If you didn't see them they start at like page 25 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'll have it up tomorrow afternoon. I was too tired earlier :o

Also, people, please call me Paul :p

Thanks man. It's easier to say Paul I think:p

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

lads this thread is spirilin outta control...
    538 posts in under 7 hours is madness!!!!!
    (539 with this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Cydoniac wrote: »
    He was on radio this evening. Can't remember the exact words he used but he basically said it was dire.

It was along the lines of "Congratulations SEC, you've just killed integration" :D

And as (P-1MP)^N=P-1M^nP
    P-1MP=P-1M^nP
    Therefore M=M^n

PIMP^N Bit explicit for a Leaving cert paper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 epicwinning

When I came out of the exam, I was quite annoyed but when I think about it I managed to do all 8 q's ('cept the last parts of 2 and 4) and only made two slips (2*2 =/= 2 and 4/2 =/= 4, derp...)

Other then those two dumb mistakes, I had all the methods right, but I agree that it was a terrible paper. Although I got most of the answers, I agree that people should be compensated for being the unwitting pawns in a tactic to make "Project Maths" look good. I'm not exactly sure how they'd go about this though, but I'd love if they offered bonus points for maths this year (I mean, we practically got the standard of next year's paper and that's going to get more points) or if they made Paper II easier. The marking scheme's going to be a nightmare though...

Also, I wanted to know if this was a correct way of doing Q8 (c): I knew that integrating the circumference of the circle would give me its area, so I integrated the top half of the circle (pi*r) through the limits of r and 0 and multiplied the answer by 2. The limits would give me the area of 2 quadrants (takes into account the area above and area below the x-axis).

higgz wrote: »

PIMP^N Bit explicit for a Leaving cert paper :)

It's actually a Jordan Normal Form in disguise, which is something that even us college people consider to be a nightmare :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

That's what I did in my solutions :)

If you didn't see them they start at like page 25 or so

Question 3c.i I proved by induction, do you think that would be acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

OMG DA SEC DID DIS ON PURPOS SO DAT I WUDNT GO TO COLLAIGE! DEY KNO I WOULDNT KNO DA ANSWERS SO DEY DID DIS!!! GONA SUE DEM!!

hi randy ;)

RHunce wrote: »

Definitely. Induction was actually the first way that came to my mind when I tried solving it, but didn't think it would turn out very nice.
    But now that I think of it induction might actually have been easier. :)

I'm going to make a thread tomorrow with all the HL and OL solutions tomorrow, fixing my mistakes and adding in different methods :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 muggy

After putting all that work in all year, if i fail maths it was all for nothing. There's no way i'm watching other people who didn't put in half the amount of work go to college. They should reward the students doing higher level ( Not giving an easy paper but making it some bit accessible ).

Ya thats definitely true...Give us some sort of break for sticking with the honours for the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

higgz wrote: »
    It was along the lines of "Congratulations SEC, you've just killed integration"
    Also, "Maths has just gone back about 20 years" :D

It's actually a Jordan Normal Form in disguise, which is something that even us college people consider to be a nightmare :o

Actually, scratch this, just understood what you meant :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

bren2001 wrote: »
    I have known people to go from D's to A's as the examiner didn't add up the results correctly. You can get marks if the examiner has made a mistake e.g. you make one slip (-3) but they dock you (-5). They are doing so many exams a day they will obviously slip up.
    As someone mentioned about being petty... They will have problems with counting up marks and A1 all way across Ireland :D

RHunce wrote: »

If your result is mathematically correct they have no option but to accept it. You did it the hard way tho.....

btw randylonghor, realistically what kind of marks or improvements can you hope to get. being realistic how can you improve from just observing yoru scripts!?
    You can't improve just by looking at them! :p

However, it gives you an opportunity to check that everything has been corrected properly etc. It doesn't often happen, but occasionally an examiner will have gone so bedazzled from looking at 400 papers that they will miss something, or simply add up the marks incorrectly.

Every year, a few papers (probably about 0.001% though!) are found where the examiner has turned two pages at once and not noticed.

So it's an opportunity for the candidate / his teacher to satisfy themselves that the paper was marked correctly, the marks added correctly, etc. ... and to send it back for re-check if they spot anything amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Is there a podcast or anything of Brendan G talking about the paper?
    He's awfully funny, and would love to hear his views on it!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    OMG DA SEC DID DIS ON PURPOS SO DAT I WUDNT GO TO COLLAIGE! DEY KNO I WOULDNT KNO DA ANSWERS SO DEY DID DIS!!! GONA SUE DEM!!

hi randy ;)
    'Shup Noelette! :p

I'm going to make a thread tomorrow with all the HL and OL solutions tomorrow, fixing my mistakes and adding in different methods :)

I would be careful about doing that. I did something similar for my DCU exams after and got in a lot of trouble. You don't own the copyright on the exam or the solutions and subsequently you breach it. Theres being helpful and then theres putting yourself at risk.

• Advertisement

Excellent point... :/

Advertisement