Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

It was an absolutely horrible exam.

I was worried I wouldn't know how to answer a full 6 questions.

HOWEVER, when I added up my expected marks (wasn't overly generous) I got 75%. Obviously it could be lower but it's still a good feeling!

It seemed each question had a very tricky part in it that not many people would know how to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Valin

Apparantly the answer to Question 1 b (ii) Was (All positive integers to infinity)

How can they ask a question where the answer has an infinite number of answers!

Also while our teacher said the area of a circle might come up he said they would provide hints with it. Just one stupid sentence? Would love to hear the project Maths people tell us about their paper. I'd say they had some tricky long division on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shan007

Arent the pre's supposed to be more difficult then the LC? Absolutely devastated.. Think I failed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Someone please post the paper, I'm dying to see it! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

polka dot wrote: »
    Was looking to pass, definitely failed the paper.

I feel like sh1t everyone saying they wanted an A1...

All I wanted was 40% or even 39.5%

No chance....

I'm sure we're not alone polka dot. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Well that was a tasty paper Nom nom nom :p
    Question 4 = Pure sexy!
    Wouldn't be surprised though if half the country failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

ok so how'd every1 find paper1?
    im sickened.. absolutely gutted!! was well on my way to an A until the end -
    prove by integration methods, the area of a disc?!! WTF!! Why do i feel like i've never even done that? probably the one proof i haven't learned.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Just to point out - next year, Paper 1 is the same as this year. It's only some aspects of Paper 2 that are PM. It's being phased in.

Still, could be something to do with skewing the results over the next couple of years and then BAM the current 1st Years all get A1s in HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

That was pretty awful, yeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Can somebody upload or type out some of the harder aspects of it if you get time, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

HxGH wrote: »
    I feel like sh1t everyone saying they wanted an A1...

All I wanted was 40% or even 39.5%

No chance....

I'm sure we're not alone polka dot. :(

Completely agree , you're not alone i was just looking for a D of some sort but im honestly goin to fail......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one who thought it was evil.

It was more like a cryptic paper than a maths paper, I spend ages trying to figure out what they were on about!!

I think I scraped a pass in it, but I could only attempt 90% of FOUR questions, and attempted bits of another three... didn't know what was going on.
    I ate a lot of starburst to keep me happy. Wrote out my nine-times tables so I felt like I could do something mathematical!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Those students that were looking for an A1 should be happy it was a difficult paper as it will sort out a lot of your competitors (e.g the B1/A2 people) & if not many are getting As the marking scheme will be adjusted to adhere to the bell curve & also they're not gonna let loads of people fail the paper especially with project maths coming in next year. Just move on and concentrate on the rest of yere exams.

REMEMBER- There is still another paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TRAPASARMY

LC from last year. Think its 1999 8 c the sphere last came up so it has come up before

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

its on examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nobody crying in our school but there was a lot of disappointment and some anger.

I really didn't think it was that bad. It certainly wasn't easy but I'd say I got a C1 comfortably.

Did every question because I struggled with a lot of the part Cs. Q6 was a disaster and I ****ed up the part C of the Integration...I'd say I could have scraped a B if not for that.

To get an A1, I'd say you have to be exceptionally good.

I'm going to have to do a very good Paper 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

TRAPASARMY wrote: »
    LC from last year. Think its 1999 8 c the sphere last came up so it has come up before

Sphere not a bleedin poxy disc.

Could anyone tell me if you at least wrote down the formula and maybe the starting integral -r and r do you get an attempt?

TRAPASARMY wrote: »

Sphere, not disk!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Gileadi wrote: »
    Can somebody upload or type out some of the harder aspects of it if you get time, cheers

its already up on the examinations website..... you can witness the nightmare there..

Could anyone tell me if you at least wrote down the formula and maybe the starting integral -r and r do you get an attempt?

I didn't do it but I have a feeling you leave out the Pi or something because you don't rotate it!
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    To get an A1, I'd say you have to be exceptionally good.

You would have to be the type that it beyond naturally mathsy.. You would have to be a genius to get an A1.. No exaggeration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 cickybab

Past exam paper's are only a money making gimic !!!

I found the exam ok to be honest. If you studied your text books and ignored the exam papers, ie, learn the notes in the text books off by heart and know the stuff inside out you would have been better prepared. True with any exam folks.

Prep question, past papers, question banks etc etc of any type of exam are just money making gimics for some cooperation with profit vested interests because they know the vast majority of people will just go "ah, il be grand if I just go over the, past, papers"

Thats the hard truth of it!

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC003ALP100EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Awful. Was crying at one stage. Luckily, once I calmed down I was able to do some of the questions. I think I did enough to pass, hopefully anyway.
    Valin wrote: »
    Apparantly the answer to Question 1 b (ii) Was (All positive integers to infinity)

How can they ask a question where the answer has an infinite number of answers!
    I said n = 1,2,3,4 ... all the natural numbers. Do you think I'll get any marks for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

How the f*ck do you get the area of a disc in integration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john1741

Got a C3 in mock and need a C2 average, was hoping for maths to maybe be a B3 to give me more room for other subjects but now Im just going to try and pass it in P2

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Oh god, do not look at the project maths paper unless you want to get really pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Am I the only person that found it easy?

Oh wait I failed too :pac: that was the worst paper ever and I was looking for an A1 I FAiled! I got an A1 in every paper since 5th year I ****IN FAILED FML

cickybab wrote: »
    Prep question, past papers, question banks etc etc of any type of exam are just money making gimics for some cooperation with profit vested interests because they know the vast majority of people will just go "ah, il be grand if I just go over the, past, papers"

I disagree, I think past papers are great revision for science subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

NotExactly wrote: »
    Those students that were looking for an A1 should be happy it was a difficult paper as it will sort out a lot of your competitors (e.g the B1/A2 people) & if not many are getting As the marking scheme will be adjusted to adhere to the bell curve & also they're not gonna let loads of people fail the paper especially with project maths coming in next year. Just move on and concentrate on the rest of yere exams.

I think that's exactly why they made it so difficult. I don't want to be an alarmist, but if their intention is to make the old course (our course) seem as if it doesn't work and doesn't teach maths aswell as project maths will, they're not going to change the marking scheme. We're going to be just a statistic, we're going to be the people who the maths course and syllabus and direction, failed.

I've never seen such a ¬theoretical¬ crock of SH*T. Should have done pass, could have gotten an A1.

Advertisement