Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yannfann

If there aren't limits, you're going to get a "... +c" in the equation and r is a variable, not a constant. They might give full marks for any attempt if they deem the question not to have been on the syllabus (they did something similar in Applied Maths before, I think...)

I found it hard enough to explain it to myself after, let alone to someone else, so I really dont think I can show exactly how I'm thinking of it sorry :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 verbatim92

from what i have read of most of this thread it seems like a lot of people have forgotten that there is actually another 50% out there with all their bickering!

trying to rally up troops for writing letter after letter to get the SEC to rule out questions is unrealistic in its aims and some what childish.

the paper i felt was quite fair, harder than most if not all of the past 15 years since the course started but then again it had been said that they would make it tougher to showcase the need for Project Maths.

Along these lines it was also widely thought that they would try and integrate some project maths style questions into the exam, as was done in many of this years produced pre's, so really shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

While many would argue that 8 part c wasn't on the syllabus it is a well known style of question and in many of the books. Plus its' inclusion with the hint in '99 made it fair game and all diligent students should have been able to do it along and any slight variation.

Personally I felt I did very well in it and am quite looking forward to Paper 2. I've got a feeling it could be as tough as this paper, especially those questions which are being dispensed of next year. Good luck to the rest of ye though!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kinda confused as to what you mean..
    What are you integrating with respect to?
    And when you integrate a constant you have to get a variable.

Not 100% sure either, I think he means he took a cylinder of radius r and made it's height infinitely small/zero by rotating a line parallel to the x axis, which cuts the y-axis at r around the x-axis?

Malty_T wrote: »
    Not 100% sure either, I think he means he took a cylinder of radius r and made it's height infinitely small/zero by rotating a line parallel to the x axis, which cuts the y-axis at r around the x-axis?

That's a FAR better explanation of what I was trying to do :) Still think it's a little bit flawed though... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Disgusting paper but I don't get why people are unsure about the graphs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Think I get you now.. you want to show that if you have a cylinder, as the height gets infinitely small the volume has to approach the area of a circle?

Definitely valid!

Think I get you now.. you want to show that if you have a cylinder, as the height gets infinitely small the volume has to approach the area of a circle?

Definitely valid!

Yeah that's what I was going for, but I just explained the lack of limits by explaining that it was a flat plane and I didn't have enough time left to explain it any further :/ Anyway I was happy with it overall, as I got 90% of everything else. But seriously, the SEC can't get away with this, ruining people's results just to make project Maths look better.... I'm one of the better off in my school..... Rough mark was 88 when I went back over comparing answers with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 epicwinning

Anyone reckon Paper II will be more of the same? I heard probability is a big focus on the Project Maths course and they're my favourite questions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PaddyP056

irish_man wrote: »
    as your here cydoniac, congrats on getting onto the irish indo yesterday!

That paper was unbelievably hard. Integration ws my best topic. I didn't touch the c part!!! What was the story with 1b(ii)???? I can't get over it. It went dreadfully bad!! has to be marked easily! Loads of people can out in tears (even fellas).. :(

the answer was all odd numbers. john brennan said it on the radio 2night. dunno how i managed to get it right. the paper was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Definitely valid!

This is a tricky one. The question said "show" it didn't say prove, but by using the cylinder method you are kinda assuming the area of circle is [latex] \pi r^2[/latex]. Whereas with the trigonometric method the formula is more derived. (Though you are still assuming the trigonometry identities). Tbh, I'd say it's invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

verbatim92 wrote: »
    then again it had been said that they would make it tougher to showcase the need for Project Maths.
    The more I think about that argument though, the less I'm convinced.

The major criticism of Project Maths out there is that many feel it's "dumbing down" the old maths curriculum (I'm not getting into that argument, I'm simply saying that many have that perception).

So everyone going around saying "but look, PM *is* much easier than the old curriculum! ... look at this paper!" isn't exactly a PR victory.

If they really wanted to make that point, a paper which everyone said was very consistent / normal, but which they then marked hard, would be more likely to achieve the desired result.

Plus I'm really not sure that the people who set the papers are that devious, and the papers will have been set pretty much independently of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

since people still seem to be asking, I have solutions posted starting on like pg 25

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MLM1

Bit like most on this poll I was somewhat dismayed by todays exam. Maths would be my strongest subject and I am much more the 'Think on your feet' type than a crammer. I got an A2 in my mock so I feel somewhat entitled to claim I am an 'A student'. To people who just want too scrape a pass I think it was a very penal paper. Hours of study weren't enough in most questions you really needed a keen understanding of the underlying matamatical concepts.

To my fellow candidates with high expectations I really recommend going back over the questions you did and having a DIY mark of your paper. I left the exam hall certain I had got a low B on the paper and ruled myself out of the A1 race. Upon actually goin over the paper with an unemotional frame of mind I realised I probably got 255-275 depending on the intricacies of the marking scheme. Done Q's 1 2 5 6 7 8 and think I got 50 45 42 50 45 38. I really cannot emphasise enough how great the variance between my first impression of how it went and the reality was. Us genuinely good maths canditates really despise not getting a question fully out but most of the marks are in doing the maths not the final answer.

Lets face it we'll all be breathing in July, Paper Two is still too come and it could be worse Boland might not have came up :D

Keep faith in this jaysis bell curve!!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PaddyP056

aranciata wrote: »
    I said n>0

will i get marks for that?
    also i forgot to quadruple the area of the quadrant of the disc... will i lose much/many marks for that?

dont mean to sound like a smart ass but the correct answer is all odd numbers since -k to any odd power of n would cancel out +k to the power of n. It actually wasnt that bad a question,it just was phrased in a nasty way to put people off. John Brennan said that was the right answer anyways, I somehow managed to make an educated guess and get it right. However about the rest of the paper eh..... well I wont go into that

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mouthforwar93

What about ordinary? I expected to get a B because i find it pretty easy but i think i failed this. was nothing like any exam over the last 10 years. CANNOT MESS WITH PEOPLES LIVES LIKE THAT, bye future and hello depression thanks to them HORRIBLE INCONSIDERATE PEOPLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I'm in a predicament I hoped not to be in. My chances of getting a C3 are very long, as in my worst case scenario, I'm only sitting with around sixty to seventy marks, but in my best case, looking at around 125. This is still dire, as I hoped to be stepping out with 240+ after all my study, but now I need 270 marks to be in with a chance of even getting my C3 and my course.

Would I be better off to decide maths to be a lost cause, get some good footing for repeating by diverting my attention to Irish and getting a B1+, or going flat out in the hope that p2 is fairly trad, and possibly getting my C3 overall in maths, and as such, my college course? Also should be noted is the fact that maths was one of my top points subjects, and a C3 means a 25pt drop, potentially losing my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What about ordinary?
    Here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

This paper was a disaster,my dreams of medicine have been conveniently compromised. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Similar to 2006 I think there is a complete overreaction to this paper. In essence the only question that could be considered unfair is 8 part c. Q7 c (ii) is a nice question and rewards those who understand what they are at. The bottom line is that the marking scheme can be adjusted to reflect the 'difficulty' of Q8 part c.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

So i mean, after all the talk about todays paper , it being a disaster or 'im going to fail' came to terms with alot of people.
    Now i know it is only after maths paper 1 and of course maths paper 2 still has to come, and this new course coming in, but will this be the trend for years to come?
    I seen maths in this country has slipped through the ranks from being mid level in the charts and it is landsliding in recent times.
    I think people should be coming out of these exams with confidence but this is clearly not the case (certainly in honours and i seen many felt the same in ordinary)
    Are people just losing there head with stress and that? Or is this a very serious matter?

People usually end up doing better than they think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

LiezlM wrote: »
    Oh Please... Don't hate on those doing Project Maths.... I am worried about passing. I'ts very easy to say a different paper was better compared to your's, but quite frankly I would have loved to see you try and get an A in Project Maths!

there is no way that they would make Project Maths harder than the norm because they want it to look good.
    the marking scheme tends to be more generous in Project Maths.
    I was however looking over my paper and you would be surprised where you'd pick up marks. So don't be disillusioned, ppl should still try for paper 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

homolumo wrote: »
    Similar to 2006 I think there is a complete overreaction to this paper. In essence the only question that could be considered unfair is 8 part c. Q7 c (ii) is a nice question and rewards those who understand what they are at. The bottom line is that the marking scheme can be adjusted to reflect the 'difficulty' of Q8 part c.

While rewarding those who understand is all well and good, the fact remains that there are some of us who really dont have the natural ability for maths and who have worked our fingers to the bone to scrape a d or a c. The paper was a bit of a disaster for us and the fact that the SEC is supposedly trying to get more people doing higher level maths and then putting on papers like that is ridiculous. Had I known they were going to change the paper so much I would have done ordinary. I'm now faced with a very real possibilty of having to repeat my LC due to a fail in maths. So I don't really think for the likes of me it is an overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

I cannot get away from this paper. Had a few nightmares last night. I really want to get a near perfect paper 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 margebaxter

I cannot get away from this paper. Had a few nightmares last night. I really want to get a near perfect paper 2.

I'm the exact same. Yesterday I was bitter but hadn't copped on to how serious the matter is. Realistically, after banking on maths as an A, I'm won't get the points for my course. Plenty of outside onlookers have been looking at the paper and deeming it ok which is a load of rubbish too. I redid the paper this morning (yes yes, I know I shouldn't have) and obviously, outside of exam situation with no pressure it was alright. But in an exam, when every second question is throwing you off, you panic. As I did. It was a cruel exam. So I'd appreciate if those who didn't ACTUALLY sit it would pipe down. We can all be mathematical genii outside of an exam situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

The HL maths syllabus itself states this in relation to assessments...

A. The status and standing of the Leaving Certificate would be maintained.
    B. Candidates would be able to demonstrate what they do know rather than what they do not know.
    C. Examinations would build candidates’ confidence that they can do mathematics,
    rather than undermining the confidence of those who attempt them.

The SEC have to realise that they're playing with people's futures. This isn't as simplistic as project maths is better than the old course. Sorry SEC that I didn't go to a project maths pilot school, right now I'd be rejoicing in the fact that I had undoubtedly gotten an A1. But no, thanks a lot SEC...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I think the SEC have infiltrated this poll! The majority of voters said they think they got an A.. wtf!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 margebaxter

The HL maths syllabus itself states this in relation to assessments...

A. The status and standing of the Leaving Certificate would be maintained.
    B. Candidates would be able to demonstrate what they do know rather than what they do not know.
    C. Examinations would build candidates’ confidence that they can do mathematics,
    rather than undermining the confidence of those who attempt them.

Villians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cockhead

Nope ..... you wont get any extra points...... sucks I know! :(

I'm pretty sure you do get points next year! Im pretty sure it applies to everyone who has ever done honours maths!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laylalayla

Lads I know there were some tough questions on that paper and yeah it was a bit of a joke. But Q8 (c)? Were we the only class to have covered it? I know hardly anyone in my class revised it anyway coz its never been on the paper before, but it is on page 362 of Discovering Maths 4, we cant complain if they put something like that up, its just another proof, nothing complicated like the other questions on the paper. Lets just hope paper 2 wont throw up as many surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anniefearon

I'm in a predicament I hoped not to be in. My chances of getting a C3 are very long, as in my worst case scenario, I'm only sitting with around sixty to seventy marks, but in my best case, looking at around 125. This is still dire, as I hoped to be stepping out with 240+ after all my study, but now I need 270 marks to be in with a chance of even getting my C3 and my course.

Would I be better off to decide maths to be a lost cause, get some good footing for repeating by diverting my attention to Irish and getting a B1+, or going flat out in the hope that p2 is fairly trad, and possibly getting my C3 overall in maths, and as such, my college course? Also should be noted is the fact that maths was one of my top points subjects, and a C3 means a 25pt drop, potentially losing my course.

Stick to your plan as if u had got the grade you wanted in paper 1. I was hoping for a C3 too. Its still possible. Dont let paper 1 shadow the fact you could do great in paper 2!

Advertisement