Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

laylalayla wrote: »
    Lads I know there were some tough questions on that paper and yeah it was a bit of a joke. But Q8 (c)? Were we the only class to have covered it? I know hardly anyone in my class revised it anyway coz its never been on the paper before, but it is on page 362 of Discovering Maths 4, we cant complain if they put something like that up, its just another proof, nothing complicated like the other questions on the paper. Lets just hope paper 2 wont throw up as many surprises.

Just checked my book - Texts & Tests - in the integration section, correct me if I'm wrong as I only briefly whipped through it, there's no mention of integrating to find the area of a disc. We also never did it in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anniefearon

homolumo wrote: »
    Similar to 2006 I think there is a complete overreaction to this paper. In essence the only question that could be considered unfair is 8 part c. Q7 c (ii) is a nice question and rewards those who understand what they are at. The bottom line is that the marking scheme can be adjusted to reflect the 'difficulty' of Q8 part c.

Completely disagree, as i think alot of people will. I've never seen something like Q2 part c (i-iii) and Q7 c (ii) or Q3 c(i) frankly it was a load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anniefearon

PoisonIvy wrote: »
    While rewarding those who understand is all well and good, the fact remains that there are some of us who really dont have the natural ability for maths and who have worked our fingers to the bone to scrape a d or a c. The paper was a bit of a disaster for us and the fact that the SEC is supposedly trying to get more people doing higher level maths and then putting on papers like that is ridiculous. Had I known they were going to change the paper so much I would have done ordinary. I'm now faced with a very real possibilty of having to repeat my LC due to a fail in maths. So I don't really think for the likes of me it is an overreaction.

here here poison ivy

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Just checked my book - Texts & Tests - in the integration section, correct me if I'm wrong as I only briefly whipped through it, there's no mention of integrating to find the area of a disc. We also never did it in class.

it dosent show you how to do it but it is on page 90 question 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Texts and Tests 5
    Pg 90. Q25.

If I didn't do that the night before, I wouldn't have gotten that C part right.
    Admittedly, it's not EXACTLY the area of a disc. But it's damn close.

I nearly *Insert dirty action here* myself when I copped it was a X = Rsintheta question.

• Advertisement

About this whole marking scheme changing business... how do YOU want it to be done?

Personally, I don't want the C parts to be worth less marks. What I want is for any broad attempt to be awarded near full marks. Like, for the integration part C, anyone who looks like they're going in the right direction should get the full 20.
    And 7 C, if you pick the wrong graph but mention right reasoning or vice-versa, near full marks.
    You?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

PJelly wrote: »
    About this whole marking scheme changing business... how do YOU want it to be done?

Personally, I don't want the C parts to be worth less marks. What I want is for any broad attempt to be awarded near full marks. Like, for the integration part C, anyone who looks like they're going in the right direction should get the full 20.
    I'd tend to agree. Anyone who copped on to the fact it was a circular integral and proceeded to integrate correctly should be awarded most of the marks for that question.
    And 7 C, if you pick the wrong graph but mention right reasoning or vice-versa, near full marks.
    You?
    In fairness that was an easy question.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

You?

Same about 7 c I said the right reasons but I chose B instead of A.

I just want to pass, I didn't do HL for the points, I did it because I'm a bit nerdy and love doing maths even if I amn't an 'A1' student. Really regret that decision now.

In fairness that was an easy quesyion.
    Oh I got that question right (thank god) but I'm just using it as an example of how the scheme COULD be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Guys I hate to sound blunt but it's Saturday forget this paper you need to be focusing on future tasks not delving on the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Liam_Mellows

I got an A in the mocks and i'll be lucky to get a b3 in the actual L.C. now.
    The part 8c came up before but they gave a hint how to do it-somethin like let y=sinx. this time there was no hint!
    ... This is a way for the exam commission to promote project maths and its totally unfair and unjust!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

You?

Honestly? I want them to increase the marks for the questions I got right and reduce the marks for the one's that I got wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

It'll be interesting to see if the Chief Examiner does a report on the paper later in the year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I emailed them and they suggested that the marking scheme would negate the upset from the a lot of the students with the last two questions. I posted it in the Paper 2 thread if anyone wants to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 muggy

NotExactly wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to see how the results are A 27 21.95% after some people that say they're A students will probably get Cs or ds.

Ya true comment, if ders dat many actual A's the marking scheme will be sick hard...Ppl wud want to cop the **** on telling lies id say...If the deparment see that poll we will get no lee-way at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

I have to say that looking at the paper from this year it appears a quite a bit more difficult than the Paper 1 I sat last year which was uncommonly nice,

but to all the people complaining about the 'easier' Project Maths papers that the 24 sample schools had-last year my school did the normal Paper.1 and a Project Maths Paper.2 and trying to study for a Project Maths paper is nigh on impossible as they only provide your school with one sample paper and one mock examination neither of which held much relevance to the paper we were presented with in June.

So imagine trying to study for a maths exam were your only study resources are 2 sample papers and a ream of non relevant sample questions provided by the department before you talk of the 'lucky f*****s' who were chosen to participate in Project Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 epicwinning

Damn, I just realised how we're meant to be able to do Q8(c):

l = rQ --> Q of quadrant 1 = (pi/2)
    l = pi*r/2

Integrating l gives the area of quad 1 and the limits are r and 0

INT[r,0](l)dr
    INT[r,0](pi*r/2)dr

pi/2*(INT[r,0](r)dr)

pi/2*((1/2)*r^2)][r,0]

pi/4*(r^2 - 0)
    (1/4)*pi*r^2

And then multiply by four oh God it was so easy all along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pineapplepop

It was abysmal, completely disheartening >:(
    I'm sure I'm not the only one in saying the most frustrating part was ALL the work that was put into the revision amounted to that.
    I myself did 3 exam questions every night in maths since christmas and actually felt sort of confident going into the exam..... haha. >.<
    Oh, and what REALLY annoyed me was that the chief examiner deemed the paper "doable" and "suitably challenging".... wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

So imagine trying to study for a maths exam were your only study resources are 2 sample papers and a ream of non relevant sample questions provided by the department before you talk of the 'lucky f*****s' who were chosen to participate in Project Maths.

Having seen the Project Maths P1, I reject that statement, as the exam given to the people doing project maths was far easier than the one given to the standard curriculum students. Comparable to an ordinary level paper, but with more diagrams.
    Sections A and B were ridiculous, and section C was on the higher paper. Literally, on the higher paper, as questions 7, 8 and 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Comparable to an ordinary level paper? lol. I would have much rathered doing the normal maths course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

I think a handful of teachers should have to take the exam, after all they're the ones teachin us, then they can judge how difficult the paper is and adjust it accordingly. who checks the papers? Or does one person write it for noone else to see? What a joke!

muggy wrote: »
    Ya true comment, if ders dat many actual A's the marking scheme will be sick hard...Ppl wud want to cop the **** on telling lies id say...If the deparment see that poll we will get no lee-way at all

I'd say rather than people lying, the poll reflects a higher tendency to vote at all if people feel they've done particularly well or if they feel they've done a lot worse (As and Fails are the highest results)!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

spazzy wrote: »
    I think a handful of teachers should have to take the exam, after all they're the ones teachin us, then they can judge how difficult the paper is and adjust it accordingly. who checks the papers? Or does one person write it for noone else to see? What a joke!

My examiner/ supervisor (whatever you want to call him) ..... he is a higher level maths teacher and he was talking to me after the exam ( I was the only one that sat the higher paper) but anyway he was doing the paper too during the exam time and he found it difficult... he said that in his opinion most people would have found it very difficult and maybe scraped a C and the very very odd student might just scrap a B in it ... so if he found it hard what do they expect from us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'd say rather than people lying, the poll reflects a higher tendency to vote at all if people feel they've done particularly well or if they feel they've done a lot worse (As and Fails are the highest results)!

And there are other variables, such as the fact that maybe Boards attracts these kind of people, or maybe people are lying. We shouldn't discount those who've said that they wish to concentrate on Paper 2 - they could have done very badly.

AdamD wrote: »
    Comparable to an ordinary level paper? lol. I would have much rathered doing the normal maths course

I don't know thaaat much about project maths but I just did a bit of last year's paper 2... It probably requires a greater demonstration of understanding - at least explicitly. The actual maths is a lot simpler though..

I think the worst part for me is the reverse in trend. I was prepared for a 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 paper. It was not similar to those (granted, 2010 was too easy) really.

I agree that it was within the syllabus, but that varying it so much from the expected trend was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

hunii07 wrote: »
    My examiner/ supervisor (whatever you want to call him) ..... he is a higher level maths teacher and he was talking to me after the exam ( I was the only one that sat the higher paper) but anyway he was doing the paper too during the exam time and he found it difficult... he said that in his opinion most people would have found it very difficult and maybe scraped a C and the very very odd student might just scrap a B in it ... so if he found it hard what do they expect from us?
    TBH a HL maths teacher shouldn't have problems with any LC paper. If they do... then that explains why so few people do HL Maths.

TBH a HL maths teacher shouldn't have problems with any LC paper. If they do... then that explains why so few people do HL Maths.

He may have been talking relatively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think a handful of teachers should have to take the exam, after all they're the ones teachin us, then they can judge how difficult the paper is and adjust it accordingly.
    Do you know this didn't happen?
    who checks the papers? Or does one person write it for noone else to see?
    The Chief Examiner, the setters and the drafters. Few papers would be written by one person. A numbner of meetings are held at various stages of the process.
    What a joke!

People don't like change.

Try a Leaving Cert paper from about 1979 if you want to see really hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

It should be adjusted accordingly befor they let it loose. Each year should be of comparable difficulty

Advertisement