Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    I hope it's a slip, don't wanna lose 3 marks in a part (a), considering the rest paper was ****e too.

I think they'll mark this paper VERY liberaly, in fact they have to, otherwise the bell curve won't exist, or it'll peak in the d's.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    Nah that'd definately be a blunder mate, considering that it told you to express it in its simplest form. Slips are only for simple things like if you drop a sign or something, but if it looks like you didn't fully know what you were meant to do then thats a blunder.
    That's another 3 marks down the drain, such a silly mistake! What was I thinking?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

The tan in 7c is solved by taking the whole thing in the bracket as 'x' and taking 1 as 'a' and applyin the formula in the log tables and multiplyin that by the derivative of the bracket
    concentrate on paper 2 now though

Catacomb wrote: »
    I think they'll mark this paper VERY liberaly, in fact they have to, otherwise the bell curve won't exist, or it'll peak in the d's.
    Yeah, I suppose. That's a bit of relief. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

Does any body know if there's a copy of the paper online cos I tore mine up as soon as i left the exam.

And my gawd was that exam hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

mtb_kng wrote: »
    You know, if your going to NUIG, UL, or DIT, you can do a "Special Entrance Exam". I'm going to UL (Mechanical Engineering hopefully), and just to put some nerves at ease, I asked a lecturer if I could still do it if I failed, he said I could.

Sadly, DIT is the only really plausible one of those I could go to, and despite loving Galway, I would hate to be so far from home for most of the year. Lose-lose situation. Good luck with that all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Exams that have been held are already up in examinations.ie hth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Sadly, DIT is the only really plausible one of those I could go to, and despite loving Galway, I would hate to be so far from home for most of the year. Lose-lose situation. Good luck with that all the same.
    Sadly DIT? DIT is a really good college! The do formula student too :D My dad did Mechanical Engineering there back when it was called Bolton Street(Which I found out after I decided I wanted to do mechanical engineering). As far as I know the degree's are given out by trinity. Don't repeat, go to DIT if you have to, do well, and transfer in second year if you really don't like it.

Think of it this way, would you rather repeat and do a degree, or do a masters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

beng128 wrote: »
    Does any body know if there's a copy of the paper online cos I tore mine up as soon as i left the exam.

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC003ALP100EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭beargrylls93

beng128 wrote: »

examinations.ie

• Advertisement

The only tricky part of 7 was 7c part ii which will prob get a small amount of marks if most ppl didn't get it. Honestly i found 3 hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

spazzy wrote: »
    The only tricky part of 7 was 7c part ii which will prob get a small amount of marks if most ppl didn't get it. Honestly i found 3 hard!
    Me too!
    For B (i) which looked easy, I kept getting A^2-B^2=-3 and AB=2. I couldn't solve for A or B without getting A^4 or B^4!
    And the second part, what was that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The only tricky part of 7 was 7c part ii which will prob get a small amount of marks if most ppl didn't get it.
    I hope not :( I was thrilled when I realised I got right.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

How do so many people think they're getting A's???? that frinken paper was horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 13 akbar

For anyone who saw my rant a few pages back, I decided to copy and paste it into the SEC's contact form for a bit of craic. Though I edited out some of the juicier bits the message still gets across hopefully.

"I'm a repeating student sitting physics and maths again, having originally sat my Leaving Cert in 2009. I've spent the past few months studying moderately with the past few weeks being quite intensive, and I believed I had brought myself to an A standard for the maths exam.

Now, as I enjoy maths, I love taking the time to get my head around the concepts that are taught in the course, but at times this has to be compromised because of the amount of applications we have to learn by rote for the style of the exam. So, with the amount of knowledge of methods we need to absorb for the course, it seems to fall in line that in the exams it's mostly that knowledge that's tested, with theory-testing questions thrown in intermittently.

Yesterday's exam however was an utterly STRIKING change from testing learned methods, to testing an understanding of the concepts of each area of the course. Now, overlooking the very different aspects of the exam, and considering the reasonable parts of the exam to say on the whole the exam was acceptable is completely disregarding the context of the candidate's perspective. Sitting in an exam centre and seeing a marked difference on the page, to what you not only were expecting but were LED to expect from curricula, teachers and FORMER EXAMS, is completely throwing, and this year's paper one has thus hindered the education prospects of many candidates.

I'm expecting a grade of around a B1, only needing a B3 for my college course. I did however work hard out of principle, wanting the A1 considering I'm RE-sitting the exams. For anybody who is banking their points and, more importantly, their hours and hours of EFFORT over the past few months or years on the maths results, I really sympathise. I'm equally as outraged at the blatant lateral step taken in writing the exam. I don't think it was necessarily a more difficult exam or a BAD exam by any means, as I have said the style suits me and I would personally rather if theory were the emphasis in the maths courses, but even for me with my preferences the exam was different enough from the established standard to throw me when I opened the paper. I was sweating for the whole 150 minutes, and normally I finish every question well under the two hours mark. I only completed 6 and a half questions, of which I hopefully scraped something close enough to an A grade that when this inevitably warped Bell curve is pressed on the grading, I'll still be in with a chance of getting my pursued result."

Did any of ye get the paremetrics equation in "terms of x"? If yes, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

When I worked out 7, I didn't get the proof to match the "find this blah blah" given, (i got a plus one over the line) so I, stupidly, used my answer in the second part.

kicking myself.

PJelly wrote: »
    Me too!
    For B (i) which looked easy, I kept getting A^2-B^2=-3 and AB=2. I couldn't solve for A or B without getting A^4 or B^4!
    And the second part, what was that?!

i know . . . And the c part. . . I've never bull----ed as much in my life!
    question 8 a and b were fine so i made up stuff for c that would give me the answer :)
    every year 3 has been simple
    i think i got 40out of 50 in question 1 anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amn93

What was the definite right answer and why were the reasons? :)

If that and 8 (c) both go down to 5 marks each, I'll be gutted.

In hindsight 7 C (ii) was very easy, I never even realised it said F'(X)=G'(X), I went to the bother of getting G'(X)

Its just the fact that I was so rattled at that stage, and I've never seen graphs like them before.

• Advertisement

amn93 wrote: »
    What was the definite right answer and why were the reasons? :)
    A
    Same Slope
    Both Decreasing

but then you prob got the rest of that answer too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

When you get the expression in terms of "t" it's equal to twice the initial value of X. Hence it was equal to 2X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amn93

PJelly wrote: »
    A
    Same Slope
    Both Decreasing

Wooo woo :) That's what i was hopin! Totally agree.. if that and 8c go to 5 marks each i'll be extremely unhappy! Only copped it was the circular integration proof at like 27 mins past 4. Definitely most stressful 3 mins of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Solve for x from the given, and sub it in.

I said somethin stupid about how one crossed the x axis and one didn't but this was when i was at the end of a tedious exam with a tedious 7c i and i made up an answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

yea you ended up with 2(t-1)/t+1
    And if you look back at the start it said x=t-1/t+1

so put x in for that and your answer is 2x

Sparticle wrote: »
    When you get the expression in terms of "t" it's equal to twice the initial value of X. Hence it was equal to 2X.
    Oh right! I made the silliest mistakes ever. :(
    Thanks xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Oh right! I made the silliest mistakes ever. :(
    Thanks xx

I doubt you'll lose much marks. It's just a tiny bit at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

but then you prob got the rest of that answer too?
    I made a stupid error in the last part of the parametric differentiation.

Advertisement