Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Thanks What.to.do and hunii07, I got the answer in term of t alright, but didn't write it in terms of X, I'm so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Did any of ye get the paremetrics equation in "terms of x"? If yes, how?
    It was a misprint, you don't have to. But it conveniently works out to be 2x.
    (WHICH I DIDN'T GET IN THE EXAM, I messed the whole question up but got it first try an hour ago)
    You get like, 2(t-1)/t+1

Sparticle wrote: »
    I doubt you'll lose much marks. It's just a tiny bit at the end.
    I hope so. I have no hopes from Maths now anyway. I just hope I get something around a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

PJelly wrote: »
    (WHICH I DIDN'T GET IN THE EXAM, I messed the whole question up but got it first try an hour ago)
    You get like, 2(t-1)/t+1

It wasn't a miss print.

It wasn't a miss print.
    Two teachers on RTE1 radio yesterday said it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

It was a misprint, you don't have to.

In fairness it probably wasn't.

You get like, 2(t-1)/t+1
    Really, it was a misprint? :O
    I did get the right answer in terms of t, but was too panicked to think about anything else.

Could someone do 3 B for me?
    I nearly cried when I saw it. 3 is usually my full marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Commission released a statement saying it wasn't a miss print and that Q7 was within the parameters of the syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

I made a stupid error in the last part of the parametric differentiation.

i forgot to change it to x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

In all fairness, if it was a misprint do you not think that its a fairly big coincidence that it worked out to be 2x?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Not a chance its a misprint. Most people here got 2x and they already said it was meant to be in terms of x.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I changed in to X but didn't get 2x :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Sadly, DIT is the only really plausible one of those I could go to, and despite loving Galway, I would hate to be so far from home for most of the year. Lose-lose situation. Good luck with that all the same.

Maynooth and DCU both do the same if you want to stick to the east. I'm also doing engineering and I went to the open days and that's what they told us. What's more, the points are actually quite low in both (I think around 370 for NUIM and 320 for DCU). Not to detract from DIT, I'm just saying that options are still open.

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    In all fairness, if it was a misprint do you not think that its a fairly big coincidence that it worked out to be 2x?
    Sheesh, I was just relaying back what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

It was a misprint, you don't have to.

The commission said it wasn't a misprint so it really doesn't matter what some teachers said on the radio..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

What sort of drop in honours grades would we need for a resit? 5%? 30%? If there's a high percent of failures, as Facebook seems to indicate, no shift in the bell curve would be able to compensate. Hoping to Christ for a decent option question in pII

Also, thanks, mtb and C14N, its more from a financial standpoint that I can't use those colleges. I would only be able to commute, and sadly, Trinners and UCD are the only colleges viable from that point of view. Even Bolton st. is a tad distant, as I'd need to take two buses minimum to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

What sort of drop in honours grades would we need for a resit? 5%? 30%? If there's a high percent of failures, as Facebook seems to indicate, no shift in the bell curve would be able to compensate. Hoping to Christ for a decent option question in pII

We won't get a resit. By the time they are marked I'm sure it will be the last thing on our minds.

People don't seem to get the thing called Attempt Marks. If they get a strange looking answer (decimals etc.) or can't prove it to be what is said in the question (getting x^2 = x^3 instead of x^2=x^2) then they are convinced they failed.

Passing means you need to get 6 a parts right and then 10 marks between b and c on the 6 questions. I highly doubt there has been as much failures as thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

I did the Leaving in 2008, and there was uproar after our Accounting exam as it was (rightly) judged to be much more difficult than ones before it.

Out of nowhere, we'd to answer more adjustments than any other year and we were examined on things which never seemed likely to come up. After the exam many of us were unhappy - a bit of a p*sser to begin the summer with.

I'd always regarded accounting as my best subject and was hoping for a B1 - the only subject where I aimed that high. I felt I was relying on it to get the ~460 I needed. Nevertheless, I walked out thinking I'd get maybe a B3. Luckily I don't do post mortems.

It was explained to us though, as no doubt many of ye know, that there will never be anything other than minor variations from year to year in terms of grades. Typically, 20% of people get A's in Accounting.

And so it was in 2008 too. Despite that bitch of an exam, the marking scheme was slanted towards giving marks for parts people were more likely to answer correctly and less so towards parts people did badly on.

If the consensus on Maths I this year is that it was difficult, then no doubt something similar will happen to its marking scheme. It's what the chief examiners do.

As for me? I ended up getting an A2 in that exam. Overall I got 485, my #1 CAO choice and I'm now taking baby steps into the career I've always wanted.

Go kick Paper II's ass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

legendal wrote: »
    I did the Leaving in 2008, and there was uproar after our Accounting exam as it was (rightly) judged to be much more difficult than ones before it.

Out of nowhere, we'd to answer more adjustments than any other year and we were examined on things which never seemed likely to come up. After the exam many of us were unhappy - a bit of a p*sser to begin the summer with.

I'd always regarded accounting as my best subject and was hoping for a B1 - the only subject where I aimed that high. I felt I was relying on it to get the ~460 I needed. Nevertheless, I walked out thinking I'd get maybe a B3. Luckily I don't do post mortems.

It was explained to us though, as no doubt many of ye know, that there will never be anything other than minor variations from year to year in terms of grades. Typically, 20% of people get A's in Accounting.

And so it was in 2008 too. Despite that bitch of an exam, the marking scheme was slanted towards giving marks for parts people were more likely to answer correctly and less so towards parts people did badly on.

If the consensus on Maths I this year is that it was difficult, then no doubt something similar will happen to its marking scheme. It's what the chief examiners do.

As for me? I ended up getting an A2 in that exam. Overall I got 485, my #1 CAO choice and I'm now taking baby steps into the career I've always wanted.

Go kick Paper II's ass :D

Thanks for that :) I'm a repeat and I actually really put my head down this year and when I saw that paper I was like ...What??? :O I thought that I wouldn't be getting my number one choice because I was relying on this for points.... so thanks for that little message :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Can someone give me a link of the podcast of the rte programme of the interviews with the mathsteachers/book writers or even tell me the name ofthe programme...thanks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It was on Drivetime at 6 last night on RTE Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Cydoniac wrote: »
    It was on Drivetime at 6 last night on RTE Radio 1.

Thanks a lot man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Guys I'll just give a little bit of simple advice. Get over it. The exam was tough, but within the syllabus. Its done now, you have a 2nd chance in paper 2 to rectify your performance in paper 1. All the post mortems and calling for resits will do you no good. Forget about bell curves and quotas for grades, plenty of times the SEC has made exams which produce overall results that doesn't match the standard curve. Theres nothing you can do about this except for prepare for Monday.

There will be no resit, the exam is done. Focus on the next paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bexz1

worst paper i have ever seen! iv put so much work into maths, doing it day in and day out and now after that paper i feel like i completely threw away all the work iv done over the past 2 years.
    it was truely horredous! the only chance i have to pass is if the marking scheme is changed severely

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

Paper 1 has actually ruined my life as i was expecting a B in maths which i need to get into the course i want not sure if i can et that now :(:(

the biggest sickener is the fact that next year anyone doing honors maths will get an extra 25 points GURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amn93

Guys I'll just give a little bit of simple advice. Get over it. The exam was tough, but within the syllabus. Its done now, you have a 2nd chance in paper 2 to rectify your performance in paper 1. All the post mortems and calling for resits will do you no good. Forget about bell curves and quotas for grades, plenty of times the SEC has made exams which produce overall results that doesn't match the standard curve. Theres nothing you can do about this except for prepare for Monday.

There will be no resit, the exam is done. Focus on the next paper.

Ya gotta think of it from the point of view of people that were seriously relying on maths. Talkin' about things helps people and I definitely know that seein the reactions of the rest of the people that commented about the paper relaxed me a bit cause i knew it wasn't just me that felt like this.. that everyone else was in the same boat.. If people wanna talk about things they might as well! Just sayin.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mathspaper1

I was talking to my teacher in the week running up to the exam, and told him all I wanted was to pass the exam, or maybe even get a C3 if I was lucky. He told me that I should be capable of getting a C, unless everything went wrong for me, which it did. Paper 1 was my stronger paper, and I honestly believe I've failed, because there is no way I can bring my mark up on Monday. I was very tempted to take a pass paper on the day of the exam, but because of all the hours and effort I put into this exam decided to stick with it. I wasn't being overly ambitious, I just wanted to pass. I actually cried after coming out of the exam hall, something which I rarely do! I now feel that, despite the Governments wish to see more people doing HL Maths for the Leaving, that keeping the subject up is one of my biggest regrets, as now, even if I get my points, I will still end up repeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amn93

I was talking to my teacher in the week running up to the exam, and told him all I wanted was to pass the exam, or maybe even get a C3 if I was lucky. He told me that I should be capable of getting a C, unless everything went wrong for me, which it did. Paper 1 was my stronger paper, and I honestly believe I've failed, because there is no way I can bring my mark up on Monday. I was very tempted to take a pass paper on the day of the exam, but because of all the hours and effort I put into this exam decided to stick with it. I wasn't being overly ambitious, I just wanted to pass. I actually cried after coming out of the exam hall, something which I rarely do! I now feel that, despite the Governments wish to see more people doing HL Maths for the Leaving, that keeping the subject up is one of my biggest regrets, as now, even if I get my points, I will still end up repeating.

Ya don't know ya definitely failed yet! Stay positive til ya know for sure.. Might as well have a good summer not worryin about it until the results (or at least a few days before them) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

It was a horribly difficult exam, but the way the marking is designed, grades generally reflect ability - presuming it was difficult across the board, which this one was. I'm kicking myself really over Q8 part c as it was something I knew how to do but just couldn't force it out. :/ Hopefully picked up marks for moving towards the right thing anyway. I was really hoping for the A1, as Maths is my "thing", but right now as long as I get my B3 for my course I'll survive. That being said, I need ~570 points so that A1 was pretty crucial! I got a B1 in the pres so going down from that would be irritating :( Fingers crossed for a straight forward Paper 2..

Advertisement