Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Paper 1 has actually ruined my life as i was expecting a B in maths which i need to get into the course i want not sure if i can et that now :(:(

the biggest sickener is the fact that next year anyone doing honors maths will get an extra 25 points GURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Then the course will almost certainly go up by 25 points. Just makes it even harder for people doing pass to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DARRAGHFAHY

Re: Q8 (b)(ii)

Was this not a "division" integration sum?
    I divided the top line by the bottom, using long division and wound up with (x+1) + (1/x+1) and then integrated winding up with (1/2x^2 + x) + (log(x+1)) and then applied the limits as normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amn93

Re: Q8 (b)(ii)

Was this not a "division" integration sum?
    I divided the top line by the bottom, using long division and wound up with (x+1) + (1/x+1) and then integrated winding up with (1/2x^2 + x) + (log(x+1)) and then applied the limits as normal?

Yep it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Caoimhy

it was an awful paper, i've never seen some questions asked that way ever before. I feel my performance on the paper was not a reflection of the time I've spent studying maths nd my ability in the subject. If paper 2 goes as badly I'd say I'll be writing a letter to the exam commission. I walked in feeling nervous but prepared but walked out feeling like absolute crap. Heres hoping for a generous marking scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Eva990 wrote: »

Spare a thought for the people who are happy with the exam and don't want to be forced to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Eva990 wrote: »
    Sparticle wrote: »
    Spare a thought for the people who are happy with the exam and don't want to be forced to repeat it.
    There will not be a re-sit, not if they get 20,000 signatures.

People need to stop wasting their time grousing online and starting petitions and concentrate on Paper II.

If you feel the need, fire off a short, calm and cogent email to the SEC outlining your reservations about Paper I, then put it out of your head and move on.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but seriously, some people need a bucket of cold water over their heads at this stage.

The amount of time some will have wasted online going "ZOMG!!1! :(:(:( :mad:" would probably have brought them up a grade if they actually spent it studying for Paper II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

If only you posted that soon after this thread opened :p
    You'd have upwards of 60k sigs if the views are anything to go by :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Haha.. The petition has 16 out of a goal of 5000 signatures..! :L

Lads, we're higher level maths students. Ye should know better than thinking of resits, especially as a result of a petition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

there's not going to be a resit. we should, however, email the department of education (not sure if we'll even get a response but here's the minister's email : MINISTER@education.gov.ie )

the syllabus they drafted was most definitely breached on friday. take a look at this, appears on page 43.

"4. ASSESSMENT

4.1 STRUCTURE AND PRINCIPLES

It is envisaged that, at present, the courses would be assessed by means of terminal written
    examinations. The following principles would apply:
    A. The status and standing of the Leaving Certificate would be maintained.
    B. Candidates would be able to demonstrate what they do know rather than what they
    do not know.
    C. Examinations would build candidates’ confidence that they can do mathematics,
    rather than undermining the confidence of those who attempt them. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 salbal

Cydoniac wrote: »
    It was on Drivetime at 6 last night on RTE Radio 1.

could you give me the link to the podcast? sorry i cant find it anywhere! thanks

I'm all for justice and stuff but please keep in mind:

1. There will be NO resit. A petition will not work, it will just waste your time.
    2. BE NICE to the minister. He has no control over the setting of papers and such so the most we can hope for is that he will have a word in the ear of the chief examiner.

I'm all for justice and stuff but please keep in mind:

1. There will be NO resit. A petition will not work, it will just waste your time.
    2. BE NICE to the minister. He has no control over the setting of papers and such so the most we can hope for is that he will have a word in the ear of the chief examiner.

Completely true. Should we expect a Chief Examiner's Report this year? It could/should be due - there hasn't been one in maths since 2005!

aranciata wrote: »
    there's not going to be a resit. we should, however, email the department of education (not sure if we'll even get a response but here's the minister's email : MINISTER@education.gov.ie )
    Try the SEC unless you want it to go straight in the recycle bin; the Minister doesn't / can't interfere in the running of the LC.

Try the SEC unless you want it to go straight in the recycle bin; the Minister doesn't / can't interfere in the running of the LC.

Do you have any idea who exactly drafts the syllabus? (I'm not being impertinent or anything, I honestly amn't entirely sure!) I'd like to hear that group's opinion on Friday's paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Heh. My original comment and one of Cydoniac's got mentioned on the Irish Times netspeak section. Wahey! :P

I'm all for concentrating on paper 2 guys, plenty of time to complain and write angry letters after that paper. Also would make much more sense, you don't know what that paper is like yet. :)

polka dot wrote: »
    Heh. My original comment and one of Cydoniac's got mentioned on the Irish Times netspeak section. Wahey! :P

I'm all for concentrating on paper 2 guys, plenty of time to complain and write angry letters after that paper. Also would make much more sense, you don't know what that paper is like yet. :)

Don't forget the petitions.. :rolleyes:

Do you have any idea who exactly drafts the syllabus? (I'm not being impertinent or anything, I honestly amn't entirely sure!) I'd like to hear that group's opinion on Friday's paper.
    The NCCA. I doubt they will comment on the issue though, at least in the short term. The SEC is the body responsible for examining it.

(And there's nothing impertinent about the question. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

salbal wrote: »
    could you give me the link to the podcast? sorry i cant find it anywhere! thanks

It's called countdown to 806. I would say if you type it into google you will get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

polka dot wrote: »

Was gonna say the exact same thing! :p

Oh and congrats on the mention of yer comments! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

I bet paper 2 will be fantastic. Just wake up tomorrow with confidence and revise revise revise.

Paper 1 was a battle but it is not the end of the war!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

As unhappy as I was with paper.1, I wouldn't want to resit the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

For the students benefit, this should be closed.

AdamD wrote: »
    I've been tempted several times, but experience tells me that someone would just start a new thread 10 mins later! >.<

AdamD wrote: »

I concur!

I've emailed the SEC, NCCA and the minister for education. Anybody who has complained or been upset by the paper has an obligation to email and email and email to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

It's called countdown to 806. I would say if you type it into google you will get it.

no he/she's lookin for the drivetime one.
    it's:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-drivetime.smil

but the countdown to 806 analysis is good aswell:
    http://www.rte.ie/exams/maths.html
    its at the right

I've emailed the SEC, NCCA and the minister for education. Anybody who has complained or been upset by the paper has an obligation to email and email and email to do something about it.

I am sending a registered letter to the exam commission. As someone will have to sign for it (€7 but it will be worth it). Then after the exams are done I am forwarding it on to people ( Minster for education etc.) and also when I am done I am gonna right to papers. I think people should do that as well as it hasn't got a lot of attention.

But please whatever ye do do it after you are finished the leaving cert. Don't let one subject ruin the rest of yer subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

ya im all for everyone writin to de boys in dublin or atlone or wherever as long as ye only ask them to let the following Qs worth nothing:
    1b(ii), 2c(iii), 3c, and 7c
    If that happens i wud potentially get 100%.hah hah!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D :o

Advertisement