Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

MikeHough wrote: »
    ya im all for everyone writin to de boys in dublin or atlone or wherever as long as ye only ask them to let the following Qs worth nothing:
    3c, and 7c
    I
    Well there go half my marks.

"had to put in a :o to not be a complete gloatin arsehole "
    Yeah, that doesn't really stop you coming across as one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

PJelly wrote: »
    Well there go half my marks.

really? ju get them??? how.
    they were hard lik

"had to put in a :o to not be a complete gloatin arsehole "
    Yeah, that doesn't really stop you coming across as one there.

thats true.
    sorry
    cudnt help myself gloatin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I know it was an awful paper guys but just remember, the bell curve is in your favor. Don't lose hope just yet.

• Advertisement

really? ju get them??? how.
    they were hard lik
    I didn't get 3 C (i), I got (i) and (ii)
    It was a matrice with 0,0,0,1. Which to the power of N is still the same thing.
    So two expressions (the one with M^n and the other with M) were equal.

I got rid of the P and P-1 on both sides. And was left with M=M^n.

7 C (ii) was common sense as soon as I calmed down. Equal slopes? Bye bye B. Both negative? Bye bye C.
    Hello A!

I know it was an awful paper guys but just remember, the bell curve is in your favor. Don't lose hope just yet.
    Bell Curve can only do so much.

I didn't get 3 C (i), I got (i) and (ii)
    It was a matrice with 0,0,0,1. Which to the power of N is still the same thing.
    So two expressions (the one with M^n and the other with M) were equal.

I got rid of the P and P-1 on both sides. And was left with M=M^n.

7 C (ii) was common sense as soon as I calmed down. Equal slopes? Bye bye B. Both negative? Bye bye C.
    Hello A!

rite ya.fair enough. fair play cha for gettin em.

ya i didnt really have time for common sense at that stage.ha

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Mike, is there any possibility that you might manage to post in English?!

Again, I will remind people that this site has a "no textspeak" policy!

Again, I will remind people that this site has a "no textspeak" policy!

Ah for feck sake.:eek: Its a habit like. I'm sorry like but it just soooo much easier.
    And it always seems to me that always gets caught/picked out?
    Are you sure there's no one else doing it.

Hope twas up to scratch this time

• Advertisement

Haha! :D:D
    Brilliant :p

Ah for feck sake.:eek: Its a habit like. I'm sorry like but it just soooo much easier.
    And it always seems to me that always gets caught/picked out?
    I hope you're not always getting caught indulging your other bad habits IRL!! :pac:
    Are you sure there's no one else doing it.
    If they are, they're doing it in the privacy of their ... actually, nvm! >_>

Yes, of course there are others, you just seem to wave it about more! :cool:
    Haha! :D:D
    Brilliant :p
    Shaddap, you! :P

Too far actually.

I hope you're not always getting caught indulging your other bad habits IRL!! :pac:

If they are, they're doing it in the privacy of their ... actually, nvm! >_>

Yes, of course there are others, you just seem to wave it about more! :cool:

Shaddap, you! :P

hmmmmm.Whatever you say...

It's my name though isn't it.Just because I have a slightly humourous name(when spoken aloud) youre all like oh let's pick on the "my cock" guy again.not cool man...

(haha btw:))

Yeah, 'cause I *never* get any jokes on my username! :cool:

Yeah, 'cause I *never* get any jokes on my username! :cool:

ah...i assume you know i was being sarcastic there.
    anyway.Doesn't matter.
    wow you really do take this no textspeak thing seriously don't you; you even put the apostrophe before "cause"...madness.
    anyway i think we should end this little conversation now...I'm sure there are a lot of maths students getting annoyed with us for hijacking this thread.so bye now.

back to maths everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i just realised that if the people who voted that " they dont care " in the poll, if they voted on what grade they thought they got it wold be a very different looking curve :/

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

listen I feel for ye lads.. it was a horrible paper! but spare a thought for the people repeating (like myself) who were hoping to come up a grade from last year! fingers cossed we'll get a nice paper monday to make up for it! good luck to ye all monday! :D

ah...i assume you know i was being sarcastic there.
    Yep. I'm not half as stoooopid as I look ... actually, wait!! >.<
    wow you really do take this no textspeak thing seriously don't you; you even put the apostrophe before "cause"...madness.
    'Tisn't really that, I'm used to writing reasonable English for day-to-day purposes so it comes at least as naturally to me as textspeak does to you.

Boards is happy enough if posts are legible and avoid spattering txtspit around like Al Capone with a tommy-gun! :P
    anyway i think we should end this little conversation now...I'm sure there are a lot of maths students getting annoyed with us for hijacking this thread.so bye now.
    Actually, for once I'm happy enough to see a thread being derailed / de-stressing a bit.

I'm still in two minds as to whether Adam's suggestion of closing it altogether has merit, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I am sending a registered letter to the exam commission. As someone will have to sign for it (€7 but it will be worth it). Then after the exams are done I am forwarding it on to people ( Minster for education etc.) and also when I am done I am gonna write to papers. I think people should do that as well as it hasn't got a lot of attention.

But please whatever ye do do it after you are finished the leaving cert. Don't let one subject ruin the rest of yer subjects.

I thought this was a joke.

Now I'm unsure.

Please let this be a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

I'm still in two minds as to whether Adam's suggestion of closing it altogether has merit, to be honest.

Bit harsh? I think it helps to talk about it, especially for people that are panicking...

Bit harsh? I think it helps to talk about it, especially for people that are panicking...
    That's one side of the argument, Claire.

The other side is that the amount of time some will have wasted online going on about this would probably have brought them up a grade if they actually spent it studying for Paper II. Yesterday evening, I could understand people needed to dump, and de-stress, but at this stage?

Hence my saying that I was in two minds! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

More than likely there'll be another one made after paper 2 so... you could always close it and wait for that to pop up?
    Then people still have somewhere to de-stress and talk about maths :) Just a different paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 amn93

That's one side of the argument, Claire.

The other side is that the amount of time some will have wasted online going on about this would probably have brought them up a grade if they actually spent it studying for Paper II. Yesterday evening, I could understand people needed to dump, and de-stress, but at this stage?

Hence my saying that I was in two minds! :)

In all fairness though maths is the one subject crammin doesn't work for. Ya either have it or ya don't.. It's all about the prep you've done for the months before hand not the day before..! Just puttin that out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

unexpected graphs on paper 1 and a sample of project maths means trig graphs and Q8 graphs too i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

My point exactly.
    If the exams were gradually becoming more and more difficult, then none of this uproar would have started. Because we would know what is to be expected from us and prepare accordingly.

But the exams were becoming easier and easier. Take 2010 for example. This jump is like going from 2010 maths, to 1990 maths. Uncalled for.

Not quite true.I did the LC in 2001...I had a look at your paper the other day and the stuff was not horrible. I appreciate they may have gone for some of the lesser used stuff on the course, but having said that, it all looked pretty ok (and horribly familiar) to me. I'd imagine at worse, it might be comparable to maybe '04 - '06ish "standards"? Hardly a jump back to 1990 though.

Irrelevant at this stage anyway, it's done and that's it. I feel for people who need maths for their course, and felt they did badly, as I remember our paper 2 being particularly "tricky" at the time, leaving me hugely disappointed as I wanted engineering. However I got it with room to spare, as I had done well in the other paper - but I always felt I could have done better, which annoyed me personally.

Best thing to do right now is focus (very,very hard!!) on Paper 2 and give it all you've got. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

Why do they go and have maths ppr2 and Irish paper 1 on the same day...????????.:mad::mad: I have to cram for both those and considering how ppr 1 in maths threw me I needed extra study for paper 2 :(

Ok, closing this - for the moment, anyway. :)

Re-opened / threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Whatsername92

I was just wondering if anyone else found Maths Paper 1 REALLY Difficult?
    I spoke to 10 different people, in different schools, in different parts of the country, and they all found it hard too!
    I'm just worried that I'll fail now, based on Paper 1.

Did anyone else find it difficult? Will they mark the paper easier, does anyone think? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

There's a huge thread on this a few pages back. Everyone found it really dificult. If you want solutions, theres also a thread about this for paper 1 and 2 :)

Here's solutions
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056296463

Advertisement