Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

All right, I'll have to do the paper out, but I'll have them up in like 2 hours
    Thanks! :)

(Just wish I could have done it all in 2 hours, nevermind barely passing/barley failing...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

can we just clear something up, for those who are really really smart at maths, what was QUESTION 8 C all about?

Isn't there just 2 theorems on the L.C course for integration the cone and sphere? was that legal what they did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

"Definite integrals with applications to areas and volumes of revolution (confined to cones and spheres)."

That's a quote from the syllabus.... no mention of a disc/circle!

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmaths.slss.ie%2Fresources%2FLeaving%2520Cert.%2520Syllabus.pdf&rct=j&q=maths%20sylybus%20leaving%20cert&ei=Z0fyTbuZPISahQe99Pk9&usg=AFQjCNHxUPWTazfN3IRtxObZzJY09_bF8g&sig2=htamkp0fN4OdCEl-xkNMQQ&cad=rja

Page 15 if you wanna look yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

Gogit was just the worse paper in history!
    Re: the area of the disc question, i just derived the normal sphere and said divide by 4pi/3 to get the area. Can anyone say that'll get marks?
    Also which diagram was right in q7 c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

All right, I'll have to do the paper out, but I'll have them up in like 2 hours
    Are you a maths professor? You seem pretty confident :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 caitdebhail

i sat the Project Maths paper and i'm decent at maths but i came out in tears. everyone else was really upset with it, stuff that we spent a pile of time on in class and what we were told to concentrate on by the NCCA and State Exams Commission didn't come up. I couldn't classify half of the questions under the topics that they were supposed to be classified under (eg Algebra, Patterns & Processes). i only finished one out of the 9 questions completely and i've been getting A's all year. so obviously they weren't looking to make the old course look bad, they wanted to make the Leaving Cert class of 2011 look like complete and utter fools. The biggest joke of a paper that i've ever sat in maths and we've done several mock papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Would anyone like the solutions?

NO! I'll feel ten times worse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

"Definite integrals with applications to areas and volumes of revolution (confined to cones and spheres)."

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmaths.slss.ie%2Fresources%2FLeaving%2520Cert.%2520Syllabus.pdf&rct=j&q=maths%20sylybus%20leaving%20cert&ei=Z0fyTbuZPISahQe99Pk9&usg=AFQjCNHxUPWTazfN3IRtxObZzJY09_bF8g&sig2=htamkp0fN4OdCEl-xkNMQQ&cad=rja

Oh, MY god. They truly did knock us over, didn't they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The disc integration was probably my biggest mishap on the paper. When I was picking questions I only glanced at it and thought it was the rotation to get a sphere. :(

I'm also sickened I didn't do Q1. Whyyy?!

Q3's C part, think I made a slip and made a bit of a mess of it.

Challenging paper, but except for the integration C, I think it was fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

OK, so what they did was illegal. Everyone should be entitled to extra marks, like a 30 mark gift voucher, or something. that was remarkable, they must have been drunk when making that paper, rofl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

The only thing I'll stress again is that they still have to find some way of putting 15-20% of people in the A bracket, and so on, no matter how hard it is.

Here's hoping....

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

George Humphrey is going to be on drivetime talking about it after 6. I've been told the teachers are going to kick up big time over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Question 2,4,6 and 7 were pretty bad, otherwise it was fairly similar to previous years. Anyone hoping to scrape a pass is in trouble though.

I heard before if somethings not on the curriculam, they have to give full marks to everyone who attempted it. Anyone know anything about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

nommm wrote: »
    I heard before if somethings not on the curriculam, they have to give full marks to everyone who attempted it. Anyone know anything about that?
    I feckin hope you're right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Also, this guy had the solutions up the same day of the exam last year:

http://www.mathsireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

Disgraceful paper. Majority of our class ended up in tears.. Our maths teacher was even cursing over it. The SEC really F'd up. Hopefully this wont be the last we hear about it. Judging by everyones reaction, something will have to be done :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

F.M.L.

F*** My Life

Failed My Leavin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

George Humphrey is going to be on drivetime talking about it after 6. I've been told the teachers are going to kick up big time over it.

What station is drivetime?
    I heard before if somethings not on the curriculum, they have to give full marks to everyone who attempted it. Anyone know anything about that?

I have a feeling that if you derived the sphere formula then you'll get full marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Man, I didn't even do the HL paper and I'm feeling the rage as much as you guys are :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

How many marks was it worth? I think it happened in a Technology paper before.

I have a feeling that if you derived the sphere formula then you'll get full marks!

RTE 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Question 2,4,6 and 7 were pretty bad, otherwise it was fairly similar to previous years. Anyone hoping to scrape a pass is in trouble though.

That's me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

i hope they do....... how can they complain no one is dong hl maths and then make the paper that way.

My conclusion is they made all papers hard this year ( the project maths was to) and next year there will be a huge increase in marks and high praise for the new project maths course!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

they'll argue that we could have gotten y from the equation of the circle

that's the only part c i got right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Valin wrote: »
    Apparantly the answer to Question 1 b (ii) Was (All positive integers to infinity)

Really. . . I got the set of all odd numbers to and from infinity and minus infinity. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

know u cant have bad language on this but..WHAT A LOAD OF ****T.
    any they trying to promote honours maths..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MedMan101

i was pretty happy with it even tho i didnt get off to d best start! a couple of parts caught me out but i made educated guesses. i was actually happy the disc came up because i had just looked over it literally 2min before going into the exam! Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

RTÉ Radio ONE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

drg85 wrote: »
    I was supervising the exam, and I give maths grinds (though usually 3rd level, so I may have forgotten much of the course!) - I thought it was unusually difficult and unfair to students sitting it. I have a question though - perhaps I'm missing something as I was only glancing but was there an error in Q7C(III) ? The one with the graphs ? They all seemed to be in the positive x/y plane when the functions g(x) and f(x) were technically only specified between 0 and -1. I also played with the functions a little and I didnt graph anything like what was offered. Anyone else see this or am I missing something ?

I just solved the question in matlab - it's a stupid one, and plainly unfair. It relies on students knowing the arctan of infinity, which isn't defined, approaches pi/2. That is fallacious from a mathematical perspective and plain daft from an exam point of view.

Advertisement