Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Valin

I hear a lot of people saying that the integration question was 'illegal' but my class were warned by our teacher that it was a possibility. (He write the Folens revision books) It was effectively a challenging way of getting us to do the special integration that is not in the tables. It's a full 10 line beast.

Also 'Applications of Integration: Area' is on the course. What you had to do was find the area under 1 quadrant of a circle centre (0,0) and multiply it by 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I'm not entirely sure how I managed to slip from B1 territory to to a D3 or lower, but it seems I did. Even worse is the fact that a D is my best case scenario.
    Anyway, question 4 was an absolute sham, not delighted about question 5, either. Differenciation and integration weren't exactly a barrel of laughs.

While it's not great that I was banking on a B in maths to get my points, it's even worse that I'm not going to get the course requirements if paper 2 stings me in the arse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Would anyone like the solutions?
    Yes, that would be great. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anniefearon

possibly the worst thing i have ever seen. Those 2 theorems were ridiculous was that induction in algebra i saw? See i wouldnt know SEEING AS I COULDNT ANSWER IT. Even the (b) part in question 6 was near impossible never mind the (c) part when i find out the **** who made that there will be death threats.

i mean can they really fail the whole country?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

drg85 wrote: »
    I just solved the question in matlab - it's a stupid one, and plainly unfair. It relies on students knowing the arctan of infinity, which isn't defined, approaches pi/2. That is fallacious from a mathematical perspective and plain daft from an exam point of view.

Was it not just a question of choosing the only graph which was always decreasing and on which the slopes of the two curves appeared to be the same at all points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

i went into that exam hoping for an A1.. absolutely gutted!! I was well on my way until 7 (c) pt. 2 and 3 and q.8 part c
    GOD i hope something is done about this.. all my class were convinced they had failed! HARDLY a fair paper.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Anyone try question 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

To be fair for the first time in like 15 years people who get an A1 in maths thoroughly deserve it, that was pretty damn bad.

this is a hate page!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

polka dot wrote: »
    Anyone try question 4?

took one look and was like no way....................! Had never seen anything like that before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Anyone try question 4?

yeah, one of my better questions actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

FUUUUUUUUUCK! what in god's name is that! There goes my B1. There seriously better be a bell curve because they fuuucked us up this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

this is a hate page!!

This is reality. . .A1's gone down the drain for lots of people. . .

. . .If they don't readjust the schemes, there will be a serious lack of people in college next year. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

this is a hate page!!

and what?...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

higgz wrote: »
    yeah, one of my better questions actually.

How?! I have never seen anything like b part 2, 3 or 4 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Ok, my thoughts on the paper...
    I had hoped to get a high B or maybe an A. I need a B2 to get my course.
    But now, I hope to get a C. The paper was very cryptic and the majority of my class came out thinking they've failed.
    The thought that this might be to highlight how "brilliant" project maths is just makes me so angry. These are people's futures you're playing with, we're not statistics.

Guess its time to go back to my CAO and start changing courses. I spent the best part of the last two years studying maths for no good reason clearly.
    Thank you SEC. Really, thank you.

Did anyone think that even the timing was off course? I mean the amount that was asked in some questions i thought was completely unfair- 22 minutes my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

This is reality. . .A1's gone down the drain for lots of people. . .

. . .If they don't readjust the schemes, there will be a serious lack of people in college next year. . .

It's easy to see where the scheme will be changed.

1b and 3b will both go from 10 and 10 to 15 and 5 I reckon! Some more stuff I think will change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

So glad I do ordinary, but alot of my friends do honours so Im gutted for them! :( They will have to mark it easier though? Like they cant fail the whole country!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josephdaly111

The area of a disc solution is in Discovering Maths (p.362)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

How?! I have never seen anything like b part 2, 3 or 4 :eek:

The Q3 on Paper 2 used to be like that in the past (2001 back I think)

sorry that comment was meant to be in response to the guy saying he did well frankly i just wanna hear how bad ppl did so i can feel better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bubbles1993

what th heck was that!?!! that did not resemble any paper ive ever seen before and ive dne them ALL!!! i actually cried after this awful paper! and i do not cry easily!! i kept thinkin that i must hav missed a chapter or somethin?!! but i love maths and plan on doin it in college! i was lookin for an a1 and considerin i got an a2 in my mocks and ive studied so much since then that it was very likely that i wud! but after th paper im not sure if i even got a b! this is jus some silly game to make project maths look brilliant next yr! and it is NOT fair at all!! they are playin god here messin with ppls future!!! NOt on!! somethin has to be done about this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Yeah, that was pretty bad. By far the hardest I've ever seen...

What did everyone get for the last part of Q4 B? I got N = 7, I'm just wondering did I get full marks in ANY question...?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

Was it not just a question of choosing the only graph which was always decreasing and on which the slopes of the two curves appeared to be the same at all points?

Yes, but you had to justify it - which is tough when the function is technically undefined!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

The area of a disc solution is in Texts and Tests

What page? I just looked and I can't see it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

That's not the curriculum though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Personally i think that they should allow students to take paper 2 in ordinary level next week ( if they want) and work out some sort of marking scheme ......lots of people just wanted to pass and are extremely upset!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

QUESTION 7 C

I originally said the graph was decreasing because of the minus, but then realized the picture wasn't in line with that. In other words it wasn't excatly decreasing,

so then I changed and said the function was increasing, so I picked diagram C.

Anyone got any info on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

where?? and which book???

Advertisement