Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths paper 1 * AFTERMATH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shayanzadeh

I had never seen Q8 C.
    But here is the solution:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72691763#post72691763
    I dunno if how I answered it is the way it's done in the books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Realistically it's higher level maths , everything that came up was on the course, anyone who was borderline failing should have dropped back, instead of risking their leaving cert & most importantly there's nothing you can do now . Honestly thought it was a nice paper.
    We are people and we just had 2.5hrs for it. Also consider that after seeing the paper everyone get stressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Realistically it's higher level maths , everything that came up was on the course, anyone who was borderline failing should have dropped back, instead of risking their leaving cert & most importantly there's nothing you can do now . Honestly thought it was a nice paper.
    No one expected anything like this though. It was abnormally difficult compared to any other year.

Strangely enough, I managed to do all 8 questions. For the first time in my life. The ironic thing is that my three best questions (1,2,3) went poorly but the question I had never ever attempted before prior the exam (5) could have quite possibly gotten me a 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

I think we need to go on strike!
    Absolutely brutal paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

PJelly wrote: »
    A question about that E^-xsquared question....
    Am I right in thinking that the differentiate was a chain rule, leading to -E^-xsquared . -2x which ends in 2xE^-xsquared?

Edit: @GV_NRG, I know right! Thank god for Michael. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have gotten the disc question right.

i would have been the same! THANK YOU MICHEAL!! :) haha
    Well I'm a repeat student who got an A1 last year and in the mocks this year I got an A1.

I'll be lucky if I pull out a high B with this exam. It was very, very difficult, yes - however the main issue I found with it was timing. There's no way the SEC could expect students to finish question like Question 2 or Question 3 in 22 minutes. It's completely ridiculous.

yes i found this too, maybe i am just slow at maths but i did find that some of the questions needed more time to complete them than 22 mins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Q7c: I actually enjoyed this question. It was purely theoretical. The differentiation was a bit tough but part ii was simply inspect and answer. Very few people actually understood the question though from what I saw today. What you had to realise was that f(x) and g(x) both had the same slopes at the same x values. Then you had to realise that dy/dx is negative therefore the curve is decreasing. For those two reasons, it was Diagram A that was the right choice.
    I think I love you.
    A part C in the bag for me. BADLY needed!
    Was the integration B (ii) not like (i) in reverse? For (i) I got 1/2Log5
    and got 24 for (ii) I ended up with half integral of U over one from 2 to 10..

Sound right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just heard people on about this on the radio and read some of the comments here. Sounds like ye guys got screwed over big time. I'm doing a Masters in applied maths and would love to have a look at some of these questions. Anyone got a link for it?

GV_NRG wrote: »
    i would have been the same! THANK YOU MICHEAL!! :) haha

yes i found this too, maybe i am just slow at maths but i did find that some of the questions needed more time to complete them than 22 mins

e^-x^2 just differentiates to -e^-x^2 I think, It's in the log tables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Just heard people on about this on the radio and read some of the comments here. Sounds like ye guys got screwed over big time. I'm doing a Masters in applied maths and would love to have a look at some of these questions. Anyone got a link for it?

It's on examinations.ie under material archive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josephdaly111

Examinations.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC003ALP100EV.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alcohol_MAN

I was very frustrated in the exam but I felt comfortable with it after. Maybe a B something. Looking at my genorous estimation marks I got an A2 but that of course won't happen.
    Here's my breakdown:

1. Got it all out but maybe the wrong answer for part C) b= 21/8

4. I got it I think. My answer agreed with other people but I forgot to write the lim bit. Didn't get part 4 though not enough time.

5. All out no problem

6. Maybe. Part b I said x=0 and y=1 for the turning point but it came out to be a maximum. C was sound.

7. Fairly good. The graphs were funny and I couldn't give two reasons but I knew C was the right one.

8. Got a and b1. Attempts part c but it kept goin to the sphere

I kept on waiting for any corrections that needed to be made :,(

doctorg wrote: »
    e^-x^2 just differentiates to -e^-x^2 I think, It's in the log tables
    But isn't it a chain rule where you need to differentiate X^2 too?
    Otherwise you'll have -E^-x^2 = 0 which isn't solvable.
    Ln0 is undefined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

I don't know if someone posted it already
    but I just went through the syllabus
    And that what it mentions about the integration proofs

Definite integrals with applications to areas and volumes of revolution (confined to cones and spheres).

They didn't mention DISC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Q8c: THANK YOU BOARDS!!! I didn't even know this proof existed until last night. I had a look quick over it the night before and it paid off.
    I hate you. :)

lol jkz :pac:

Agree with on Q5, was a welcome piece of loveliness in that exam. :P Having to convert indices in (b) (ii) to logs though was unusual (but ultimately grand, just used to doing it the other way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

Guys, quick question about how they mark the proofs.. I missed a line at the end of my factor theorem.. How many marks should I get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jumpguy wrote: »
    I hate you. :)

lol jkz :pac:
    I actually forgot to multiply by 2 so I didn't get full marks for it anyway. I'd say due to the fact most people didn't get it you'll get most of the marks for simply doing the circular integral.

So, how did the rest of the exam go for you jump? I'd say this exam has changed the plans of thousands of people. It certainly did for me. I thought i'd be able to ace paper I :(

PJelly wrote: »
    But isn't it a chain rule where you need to differentiate X^2 too?
    Otherwise you'll have -E^-x^2 = 0 which isn't solvable.
    Ln0 is undefined.

Can you use chain rule on e? Maybe that's why I couldn't solve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 firestarter197

I was very frustrated in the exam but I felt comfortable with it after. Maybe a B something. Looking at my genorous estimation marks I got an A2 but that of course won't happen.
    Here's my breakdown:

1. Got it all out but maybe the wrong answer for part C) b= 21/8

4. I got it I think. My answer agreed with other people but I forgot to write the lim bit. Didn't get part 4 though not enough time.

5. All out no problem

6. Maybe. Part b I said x=0 and y=1 for the turning point but it came out to be a maximum. C was sound.

7. Fairly good. The graphs were funny and I couldn't give two reasons but I knew C was the right one.

8. Got a and b1. Attempts part c but it kept goin to the sphere

I kept on waiting for any corrections that needed to be made :,(

Pretty sure A was the correct graph. f'(x) is negative since the denominator works out to (root2 x + 1/2)^2 + 1/2 which is always positive and the numerator is -1, therefore dy/dx is negative. Graph C shows them both increasing, Graph A shows them decreasing

I got (0,1) too! makes me feel a bit better about my answer.
    But I said A for 7 C. Due to the reasons above in my other post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Just wondering, in previous years was the difficulty of Paper 1 in line with Paper 2 usually?

Trying to convince myself that Monday will be grand! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

That was a really weird paper! I actually don't know whether I did okay or not, I have no clue whatsoever! I know I didn't do amazingly, but I don't know if I did really badly or not, which is unusual for me!

When I opened it and looked at the start of 1 part b, I actually got really scared and looked through the rest, and just thought "****"... I went back and read the rest of the question and realised they just worded the started of it in a really complex way for the leaving, and calmed down a bit! Answered questions 1, 2, 4 (WHICH HAD NO PART C!!! But I bet B (iii) and (iv) will be marked as if they were C questions), 5, started 6 but gave up, then 7 and 8! It was really hard, though!

Did anyone else laugh in the middle of it when they saw this:
    Evaluate P-1MP and hence (P-1MP)^n. :p

I actually forgot to multiply by 2 so I didn't get full marks for it anyway. I'd say due to the fact most people didn't get it you'll get most of the marks for simply doing the circular integral.

So, how did the rest of the exam go for you jump? I'd say this exam has changed the plans of thousands of people. It certainly did for me. I thought i'd be able to ace paper I :(
    English - ordinary - was EASY. Heard Higher was doable to
    Geography - higher - 300/400 marks are sure.
    Maths - Higher - p1 was crap i think ill get 100/300 maybe a little bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 horrified

Disgusted by that Maths paper 1!!!!..I have been studying diligently for Maths all year around and have been achieving 100% in all my class tests!They completely changed the type of questions asked in previous year..because i had gone back 15yrs in each question type when studying.Haven't stopped crying since I left that test.Devestated that it may effect my college entry now as I hoped to study Actuarial maths in college.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ireland 00001

Bye-bye collage. Hello the Dole line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

madmax92 wrote: »
    We are people and we just had 2.5hrs for it. Also consider that after seeing the paper everyone get stressed.

Didn't hear anyone complaining about time, just they couldn't do it , ye it's understandable people getting stressed because it's different but if people actually calm down and look at the questions it's doable, Honestly I thought got around B1/B2 but with the way everyone's in shock I think i'll be bumped up.

This just shows how bad the quality of teachers are in schools when they come on the radio saying they would of struggled doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

Bye-bye collage. Hello the Dole line.

See ya there

• Registered Users Posts: 21 firestarter197

For 8 c), did anyone else integrate the circumference? You get it out, but surely you don't get anything more than attempt...

Didn't hear anyone complaining about time, just they couldn't do it , ye it's understandable people getting stressed because it's different but if people actually calm down and look at the questions it's doable, Honestly I thought got around B1/B2 but with the way everyone's in shock I think i'll be bumped up.

This just shows how bad the quality of teachers are in schools when they come on the radio saying they would of struggled doing it.

You are right, but c'mon most of years were fair play. This year is not cool, especially when next year they will have much easier stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It'll be very hard to do but you all need to take a step back I think.

The setter of the exam seems to have screwed up royally. People here have said it was all on the syllabus - it probably was - but to a certain extent that doesn't matter. The exam is meant to be a standard assessment. One year's paper shouldn't take a totally different direction to the detriment of those taking it. It should test the same skills as everybody who has taken HL Maths in the last years (I did it in 2008). People who complain the LC is too predictable may not agree with this, but it seems that this paper was using different question techniques from what I've seen in the paper and read here.

Don't worry about it - the Chief Examiner will have to sort it out in the marking scheme. Your teachers (examiners) will shout loud enough for you at the conference, and there is a precedence for changing marks in difficult questions already (e.g. the pyramids question in 2006 AFAIK).

Well done for surviving it, take a break if you can this evening, and plough ahead with next week's work tomorrow:)

Advertisement