Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-Install XP

• 10-06-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I have a desktop with xp.

The pc is starting to slow down [no malware issues, just alot of junk]

I want to reformat the HDD, but I have no xp disc to reinstall xp and drivers.

I have all ready backed up all my important files.

how do I re-install xp and drivers later?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How about getting rid of the junk?
    Delete all temp files, clear browser cache, stop unnecessary stuff from starting, and defrag a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

What is the make and model of pc?
    There is a possibility that it came with a restore partition with factory settings saved that would allow you to return the entire system to how it was when it left the factory - drivers included. It is common on most laptops today but some desktops also have it.
    Post back with the details and we might be able to check

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Run ccleaner and do a defrag.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    How about getting rid of the junk?
    Delete all temp files, clear browser cache, stop unnecessary stuff from starting, and defrag a couple of times.

Have used CCleaner and uninstalled unused programs and defraged.

How do I stop stuff from starting?
    ArtyM wrote: »
    What is the make and model of pc?
    There is a possibility that it came with a restore partition with factory settings saved that would allow you to return the entire system to how it was when it left the factory - drivers included. It is common on most laptops today but some desktops also have it.
    Post back with the details and we might be able to check

My pc is a 6 year old Dell Dimension 3000, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 Ghz, 1.0 Gb Ram

It has only one partition [C:] with everything on it.

It is used for surfing and storing songs/photos only [family pc]

Don't want to upgrade yet, works fine just slow.

Basically, I want a factory restore and then reinstall a few programs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

XP Home or Pro ? Also is the product key still legible on the COA sticker on the casing ? If not run Magic Jellybean on the PC to find it before you proceed with format/reinstallation .

The drivers for hardware that was shipped with the machine are here . Save them to an external media (thumb drive , cd etc) . I'm inclined to put them in separate folders named Audio , Network etc so I can keep track of what's what when loading them :) . For any hardware you have added since you'll need to visit the manufacturer's support site unless you have the driver disk that may have been supplied .

I've a number of OEM disks here - I seem to have become the local reinstal guy :( - so most likely can help you out with the OS CD .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Have used CCleaner and uninstalled unused programs and defraged.

How do I stop stuff from starting?

My pc is a 6 year old Dell Dimension 3000, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 Ghz, 1.0 Gb Ram

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-disable-all-auto-start-programs-in-windows-when-troubleshooting-problems.html

Do you have a backup plan for your photos ? Before you find out the hard way !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

http://www.ehow.com/how_5992505_restore-3000-back-factory-settings.html

The link shows how to acces the factory restore. This should work as long as you have never formatted the hdd in the past or deleted the restore partition.
    There may also be an option within the menu system to create restore disks - usually found within start>programs> and look for either a dell folder with a submenu option of create restore disks or something similar, may also possibly be under system tools in the accessories submenu.

Remember that the factory restore will wipe EVERYTHING so you have to backup all your files first to an external drive as you will never recover them afterwards.

If the restore option works you are sorted as it will reinstall drivers etc. Just be sure you do all windows updates asap after restore is complete as you will probably be back to xp sp pre sp1 so your system will be very vulnerable. First thing is to update the av that comes pre-installed to protect you while dong those updates.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's a pretty old machine, perhaps a fresh start wouldn't do any harm. Bear in mind you'll have to sit through a lot of Windows updates.

How full is your hard drive? After 6 years you might have accumulated a lot of stuff. With limited swap space on disk Windows can be very slow.

Dare I say it but you could consider installing Ubuntu on it. If all you do is indeed just surfing, music/photos etc it'll work very well for you. It's a great way to give an old machine a new lease of life.

You can download a Live CD here and boot it up to try it out. You don't have to install anything as it runs directly from the disk but it's fully functional.

Also if you want to extend it's life a bit further check if you can expand the memory beyond 1GB, but iirc the old Northwood Dells maxed out a 1GB.
    Crucial.com have a handy checker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

nessyguin wrote: »

I've a number of OEM disks here - I seem to have become the local reinstal guy :( - so most likely can help you out with the OS CD .

You are surley. Many thanks too..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Thanks to all who helped out.

I did a factory restore [Ctrl+F11] and it worked perfectly.

It took a full day to get back to XP SP3.

Re loaded my photo's and music.

The pc is running a lot faster now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement