Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Digital on Sky ?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I am a Sky subscriber and of course get RTE 1 & 2. Since RTE went digital last month I understand that extra channels are being broadcast. Can these be tuned in on Sky as "other channels" or will they ever be made available.:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

At the moment they are not being broadcast of any other platform other than Saorview, the extra channels will be made available to SKY and UPC but it's a decision for them if they want to show them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

Mystified wrote: »
    I am a Sky subscriber and of course get RTE 1 & 2. Since RTE went digital last month I understand that extra channels are being broadcast. Can these be tuned in on Sky as "other channels" or will they ever be made available.:confused:
    RTE have to offer them to Sky/UPC etc.(as part of the broadcasting act) at some stage, but that doesn't mean that Sky or UPC have to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    At the moment they are not being broadcast of any other platform other than Saorview, the extra channels will be made available to SKY and UPC but it's a decision for them if they want to show them or not.
    Just beat me to it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Do they have to offer them to Sky? Sky are after all a foreign company that pays no taxes to the Irish state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Do they have to offer them to Sky? Sky are after all a foreign company that pays no taxes to the Irish state.

I actually agree with your sentiment 100% but it is seems they are considered to be an Irish service provider, their objections to Saorview/Saorsat where actually entertained by the BAI.

Go figure:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Interesting.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is it a case of RTÉ offering the channels to Sky, or just if Sky want to carry them, RTÉ cannot stand in their way?

As for Sky's objections being entertained by BAI, that's pretty pathetic. The objection should've been wholly ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

Thank you all for your answers and insight on this question.
    It looks like I've started something:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Thank you all for your answers and insight on this question.

The Irish free to air channels are on one satellite and the British ones are on another.

Set up a proper free to air sat system and you can do without Sky or UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not really, it's been discussed many times already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

The Cush wrote: »
    Not really, it's been discussed many times already.

Why did you have to burst his bubble?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    I actually agree with your sentiment 100% but it is seems they are considered to be an Irish service provider, their objections to Saorview/Saorsat where actually entertained by the BAI.

Sky submitted objections to DCENR, but I can't recall anything in return to confirm whether or not they 'entertained' or considered them??

Then again, DCENR are the geniuses who came up with the clause in the Broadcasting Act which requires RTÉ to make its channels available to all satellite operators, regardless of whether they are licenced/regulated in Ireland (or even pay VAT).

It would be an interesting question for DCENR/BAI/Comreg - what is their stance in relation to submissions from Sky on the Irish broadcasting environment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Surely we can add them as extra channels if we know the frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You can't. They aren't broadcasting on the same satellites that Sky use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not only that, the Sky box won't even let you enter all DVB-S2 channels on 28E!

Even if you connect the Sky box to a dish pointed at 9E for Saorsat, it won't work. For FTA or out of sub the Sky box is seriously "crippled" (due to software, not the hardware) compared to the "competition". For FTA or out of Sub, Sky has been a bad choice for more than 5 years.

Advertisement