Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

RichieC wrote: »
    The man that believes in a bearded man in sky telling us to be good and to hate gays is talking about lazy reasoning... jesus fking christ..

Funnily enough I don't believe that:
    1) God is a bearded man in the sky
    or
    2) He hates homosexuals.

This thread is becoming absolutely ridiculous in that it is becoming more a caricature of Christian belief than dealing with the reality. If you want to talk to yourself go ahead I guess. You're welcome to come to your own conclusions, but I'm going to believe and stick by mine because ultimately I believe that God is right and true. That might make me evil, sick, disgusting or any other hyperbolic nonsense that any of ye can come up with. I guess I only know what God has done for me and I'm going to continue to give thanks to Him by living for Him and speaking for Him while I'm still here. I don't really care what opinions you happen to hold of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    What I actually said is that the fact Kenny and Obama openly declare themselves to profess religion does not prove anything,

So the fact that you declare that you are not arrogant in your assumption does not necessarily prove anything either?
    Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Politics is the art of the possible and it is quite conceivable that one or other of those men, or both, occasionally wonders whether all that stuff about the magic tree and the talking snake and the sky fairy and harps and haloes in the hereafter could possibly be anything more than a ridiculous tale, like that of the great flying spaghetti monster or the orcs and elves. But as pragmatists they are unlikely ever to voice those doubts and risk someone like Sarah Palinosaur or that aul Ni Mathuna wan stepping into their jobs.:rolleyes:

Again with the insults directed at our Creator and those who love and honour Him. As I said before, if you have to resort to those kind of petty insults your argument loses all credence.

Mindme wrote: »
    Disbelieving in a God in a religion dominated world does not come easy to those indoctrinated as children. We had to work extremely hard to escape the nonsense.

Thinking a lot usually does the trick. Better still reading books written by those considered highly intelligent in science and literature, is a great help.

The key words. By whom? Their peers? With whom they share the same values?

philologos wrote: »
    Funnily enough I don't believe that:
    1) God is a bearded man in the sky
    or
    2) He hates homosexuals.

This thread is becoming absolutely ridiculous in that it is becoming more a caricature of Christian belief than dealing with the reality. If you want to talk to yourself go ahead I guess. You're welcome to come to your own conclusions, but I'm going to believe and stick by mine because ultimately I believe that God is right and true. That might make me evil, sick, disgusting or any other hyperbolic nonsense that any of ye can come up with. I guess I only know what God has done for me and I'm going to continue to give thanks to Him by living for Him and speaking for Him while I'm still here. I don't really care what opinions you happen to hold of me.

Amen to that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Jesus after hours is gone to ****.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Freddie59 wrote: »
    You are - for all intents and purposes - stating that these men use God to get votes. Are you actually THAT arrogant?

Can you please explain how you came to the conclusion that they are arrogant as a result of thinking people use God to get votes. People think what they think, how does that make them arrogant?

Is it arrogant to think the idea of God is ridiculous?

If you think something is ridiculous and people are deluded about something it doesn't mean you must be arrogant.

Is it arrogant to think the idea of God is ridiculous?

Not really. It's just unfortunate as far as I would see it. I would argue for the freedom of all people to come to their own conclusions but simultaneously I hope that they would believe and trust in their Creator who has their best interests at heart.

The only thing this thread is to me is wholly depressing, but it is a reality that I really must become more and more familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Asry wrote: »
    ...And people like you try to make people and children believe lies as well. We'll never know who's right or wrong. Those people teaching others about the love of Christ and the promise of eternal salvation were trying to help them in their own way. Can't please everyone.

What lies does an education free of religious content teach?
    Teach religion at Sunday School for those that want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

So the fact that you declare that you are not arrogant in your assumption does not necessarily prove anything either?

Quite correct. Of course, I am not trying to prove anything, but instead challenging those who believe in the sky fairy to furnish proof that I know will not and could never be produced. :rolleyes:
    Again with the insults directed at our Creator and those who love and honour Him. As I said before, if you have to resort to those kind of petty insults your argument loses all credence.

I can not and could not direct insults at something that does not exist. As for those who do exist and who choose to take offence, that surely is their problem and not mine or anyone else's.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Your belief that it is just for people who choose not to believe in God to be punished for an eternity in hell is evil, sick and disgusting. That isn't hyperbole or nonsense - it is what you have clearly and unashamedly stated you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Unless you're Hitler.

Who was a Catholic.

dvpower wrote: »
    Your belief that it is just for people who choose not to believe in God to be punished for an eternity in hell is evil, sick and disgusting. That isn't hyperbole or nonsense - it is what you have clearly and unashamedly stated you believe.

You can see what I've said already about that. I've covered it in such a great extent that nobody could really say that I take delight in the prospect but that I want nobody to be there. Ultimately that's up to you. I deserve it as much as anyone else does, but through Christ I have a new relationship with God. Personally, I think that's amazing, and it is an amazing truth for all mankind.

If that's really disgusting or if that makes me a disgusting person then that's your prerogative honestly.

You can see what I've said already about that. I've covered it in such a great extent that nobody could really say that I take delight in the prospect but that I want nobody to be there. Ultimately that's up to you. I deserve it as much as anyone else does, but through Christ I have a new relationship with God. Personally, I think that's amazing, and it is an amazing truth for all mankind.
    I didn't say you take delight it it; I said you think it is just that a person should be punished for eternity for not believing in God.
    If that's really disgusting or if that makes me a disgusting person then that's your prerogative honestly.
    It is and you are.

Perhaps if everyone could let me know by the first line of the post if their post is an ad-hominem or not. It might help me get to what is of substance :pac:
    Shenshen wrote: »
    Who was a Catholic.

Actually, it's a very mixed story. In public he professed Christian beliefs yes. In private he actually opposed Christianity according to Nazi memoirs. Documents were released following the Nuremburg Trials which suggested that Hitler wanted to eradicate Christianity. See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

You're welcome to come to your own conclusions, but I'm going to believe and stick by mine because ultimately I believe that God is right and true. That might make me evil, sick, disgusting or any other hyperbolic nonsense that any of ye can come up with. I guess I only know what God has done for me and I'm going to continue to give thanks to Him by living for Him and speaking for Him while I'm still here. I don't really care what opinions you happen to hold of me.
    That DOES make you evil, sick and disgusting.

You believe that good people will and should spend eternity in agony for the crime of not believing in God. You believe that is just.

It is a depraved view.

Perhaps if everyone could let me know by the first line of the post if their post is an ad-hominem or not. It might help me get to what is of substance :pac:

Perhaps you should take responsibility for your own warped views.
    You come on here spouting your bile and when you are challenged on your views, you try to deflect it as not of substance.

dvpower wrote: »
    Perhaps you should take responsibility for your own warped views.
    You come on here spouting your bile and when you are challenged on your views, you try to deflect it as not of substance.

I'm with God. I believe He's right. That's all that's going to happen here. Your ad-hominems are nonsense and as a result it seems best to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I'm with God. I believe He's right. That's all that's going to happen here. Your ad-hominems are nonsense and as a result it seems best to ignore them.
    What you call ad-hominems are simply people highlighting your own views. Yet you get cranky when they are expressed in black and white for all to see. Why is that?

Like the repentant paedophile who breaks down in tears in the witness box when he realises the gravity of what he has done, are you finally realising the depravity of your own views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

philologos

A lot of the Christians I know don't believe their god could possibly cause someone to suffer the torment of the classical hell, and believe hell is just the absence of god.
    I am getting from your posts you don't subscribe to this concept, so could you answer me one question, Why would your god inflict this suffering because someone doesn't believe he exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Fair play to you phililogos. You are very patient, and it's difficult to stick out from the crowd and be called 'disgusting' etc. etc. Some sphincters about here obviously have sharp teeth...

Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I fail to see how he went to far?

"Science’s outspoken envoy Richard Dawkins came to Dublin last week to participate in the first ever World Atheist Convention"

He came and hosted the FIRST World Atheist Convention where discussed his views with like minded people. Catholics do this every Sunday and have done for years!

A lot of the Christians I know don't believe their god could possibly cause someone to suffer the torment of the classical hell, and believe hell is just the absence of god.
    I am getting from your posts you don't subscribe to this concept, so could you answer me one question, Why would your god inflict this suffering because someone doesn't believe he exists?

Hell is the absence of God, but the absence of God is a torment as far as I would see it. It's not going to be a pleasant place for anyone, that's why I would hope that people would accept God's offer of salvation through Christ.

Hell is the absence of God, but the absence of God is a torment as far as I would see it. It's not going to be a pleasant place for anyone, that's why I would hope that people would accept God's offer of salvation through Christ.
    So you don't subscribe to the classical version of hell, I don't really mean pitchforks etc but actual torment besides the absence of god.

So it's basically like living normal life then for most of us? I don't see that as a bad thing!

Hell is actual torment. The absence of God is torment. It doesn't matter how you interpret hell being described as a lake of fire alá Revelation, or the example given in Luke of the Rich Man and Lazarus, it's going to be an awful place.

Hell is actual torment. The absence of God is torment.

I don't believe in God, I'm not tormented.

Hell is actual torment. The absence of God is torment. It doesn't matter how you interpret hell being described as a lake of fire alá Revelation, or the example given in Luke of the Rich Man and Lazarus, it's going to be an awful place.
    Why/how is the absence of god torment?

steve06 wrote: »
    I don't believe in God, I'm not tormented.

Bad logic. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean that He isn't there.

Bad logic. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean that He isn't there.
    Bad logic. Just because you believe in him doesn't mean he's actually there, or that I'm tormented because I don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Says who? Where in the Bible does it say Hell is the absence of God? And if its not in the Bible, where are you getting this from? There are plenty of places in the Bible that describe Hell, there are others that imply sinners just die and don't go to heaven (its not usually clear what happens next to them), and there are even a few places that imply everyone goes to Heaven! This is what I don't understand about religious people, you make this sh1t up as you go along. And yet you don't understand why atheists point out there might be a bit of an issue with the evidence...

Advertisement